Dennis1209

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,463
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I've become somewhat sensitive of what I allow through my ear and eye gates. It's getting hard to find television programs, even nature programs where atheists and non-believers are not using the Lord's name flippantly and with disrespect. They will use His name as an expression of dissatisfaction, anger, surprise and anything but reverence. I won't repeat all of them as I'm sure you constantly hear them also. For those that don't follow the Lord, believe on Him or know Him: why do you suppose those flippant words proceed out of their mouths? It's as if they don't think before they act and speak? Of all the possible expressions a non-believer could pick from; they choose to carelessly invoke the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 

Signs of the times I suppose?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

4 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Could be, but this one's nothing new... It's the all too common = OMG and few are using 'gosh' in it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/10/1972

25 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Of all the possible expressions a non-believer could pick from; they choose to carelessly invoke the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 

About a year ago, I heard a portion of an editorial message on the Christian radio station I was listening to.  I don't remember the exact wording, but the main point of the message was: Why is it so easy (for non-believers) to use the Lord's name in vain, when other words that could express anger, hatred, disgust, etc. may be a better/tolerable choice?  

I have to admit, I used to say those disgraceful expressions, too, before I believed. I'm continually correcting my children and leading by example now, and my kids are slowly getting better with watching their respect to God.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Members *
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  341
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

I've become somewhat sensitive of what I allow through my ear and eye gates. It's getting hard to find television programs, even nature programs where atheists and non-believers are not using the Lord's name flippantly and with disrespect. They will use His name as an expression of dissatisfaction, anger, surprise and anything but reverence. I won't repeat all of them as I'm sure you constantly hear them also. For those that don't follow the Lord, believe on Him or know Him: why do you suppose those flippant words proceed out of their mouths? It's as if they don't think before they act and speak? Of all the possible expressions a non-believer could pick from; they choose to carelessly invoke the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 

the best thing about tv is u can turn it off, maybe u should listen to the radio instead

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

I have not had a television for quite some time. The Holy Spirit just gave me an uncomfortable spirit while I was watching it. So I got rid of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

2 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

why do you suppose those flippant words proceed out of their mouths? It's as if they don't think before they act and speak? Of all the possible expressions a non-believer could pick from; they choose to carelessly invoke the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 

You  are right, most are unthinking and unknowing.  They are blinded and have ears that do not hear.  They have no idea that our God is real and alive.  They hear the words of the Christmas Carols but have no clue as to what they mean.  We are to pity them with Godly compassion, as He does.  For while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.  It is for such as these that Christ came and died.  How can we love them less?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,302
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

8 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

I also cringe inside when the Lord's name is used in vain.

FYI, Tubi TV app or website has a huge selection of movies and documentaries in their Faith and Family section.  It's free and works well.  I've let a couple of other members know about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,089
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

11 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Could be, but this one's nothing new... It's the all too common = OMG and few are using 'gosh' in it. 

that would be OMg I think.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,463
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

45 minutes ago, PromisesPromises! said:

I agree, and I know our Father is intently listening to our concerns about the careless disregard of His great name.  We filter out as much disrespect as we can; but as long as we're here, we have these daily reminders of contempt  for God so that we can't forget the Great Commission.  People use His name lightly because they don't know Him. 

These words from Malachi are a great encouragement:  :) 

Malachi 3:16-18 New King James Version (NKJV)

A Book of Remembrance

16 Then those who feared the Lord spoke to one another,
And the Lord listened and heard them;
So a book of remembrance was written before Him
For those who fear the Lord
And who meditate on His name.

17 “They shall be Mine,” says the Lord of hosts,
“On the day that I make them My jewels.
And I will spare them
As a man spares his own son who serves him.”
18 Then you shall again discern
Between the righteous and the wicked,
Between one who serves God
And one who does not serve Him.

You brought up another topic I've studied and is exceptionally interesting I'd like to discuss. Might be better to just start another thread on it, I'll title the thread "The Books". 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

I will, as I'm inclined to do, take a little different approach to the matter. Since all of the entertainment on television or movies for that matter are for the profit of an industry that is in no way Christian, should we as Christians use the money that God has given us to support their sinful endeavors? If you're paying a cable or satellite TV service to be able to access sinful content then isn't that giving your money to the devil's use? It is the devil who has convinced us that we should indulge in such pleasures as watching Hollywood entertainment. While I'm not adverse to getting the daily news from the TV that can be done through a free over the air broadcast. I would suggest that we should reject such pleasures and cancel the cable in order to use that money and time doing what Christ taught us. To help those in need and do it in God's name.