• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  5,608
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  33

2 hours ago, turtletwo said:

WHERE HE LEADS I'LL FOLLOW

We live in a sad age when increasingly more and more members of our society, including believers, are becoming followers of all sorts of folks and philosophies.  The internet in particular has allowed people through blogs and social media to regularly follow politicians, entertainment stars, athletes, religious speakers and all sorts of organizations.  And, in so many cases, people just accept what they read without even questioning it.

We need discernment like never before.   There is only one person who has the truth.  Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the life."  And the Apostle Peter states that Christ has left us an example, "that you should follow in His steps" (I Peter 2:21). There is no need to be in the dark if we will accompany the One who declared, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life" (John 8:12).

Nineteen times the Gospel writers record the words of the Lord Jesus, "Follow Me" (for example Matthew 4:19).  And that is the theme of this hymn that should remind each believer of the need to follow Christ daily in all that we do.

William A. Ogden (1841-1897) is said to have been a musical prodigy.  He began studying music at the age of eight and could read church music by ten.  He could write a melody by hearing it sung or played and when he was 18 he became a choir director in his church. 

Through his adult life he enjoyed working with children and teaching them music.  With the outbreak of the Civil War he enlisted in the 30th Indiana Volunteer Infantry.  During the war years he organized a male choir which became known throughout the Army of the Cumberland.  

After the war he resumed his study of music under some of the most prominent musicians of the day.  In 1870, Mr. Ogden published his first song book, called Silver Songs.  The book became very popular, and sold five hundred thousand copies in England alone.   Over the years, William Ogden taught music, not only in the United States, but in Canada as well, and he wrote and published many gospel songs. 

I don't know what led him to write this hymn, but he penned the words and added the tune in 1885.  The hymn reminds us of why we should follow Christ.

Stanza one says that we should because of His message which is sweet, kind, dear and pure - the great example and pattern for us.  Stanza two says we should follow Him because of His love.  In stanza three we are reminded that we should follow Him because of the rest that He gives. "Weary, heavy-laden, there is sweet rest for thee." "Lean upon the Savior and thy soul is secure."  The chorus reminds us of the need to follow Jesus everywhere and at every time. "Where He leads I'll follow, Follow all the way; Where He leads I'll follow, Follow Jesus every day." 

Jesus not only died for our sins and rose again to declare His divine Sonship, but He lived a perfect life as an example of how God wants His children to live. Therefore, it should be our determination, throughout our entire life on earth that, "Where He Leads, I'll Follow."  Is that your desire and prayer?

1     Sweet are the promises, Kind is the word,
Dearer far than any message man ever heard;
Pure was the mind of Christ, Sinless I see;
He the great example is, and pattern for me.
Where He leads I'll follow,
Follow all the way.
Follow Jesus ev'ry day.

2     Sweet is the tender love Jesus hath shown,
Sweeter far than any love that mortals have known;
Kind to the erring one, Faithful is He;
Follow all the way.
Follow Jesus ev'ry day.

3     List' to His loving words, "Come unto Me;"
Weary, heavy-laden, there is sweet rest for thee;
Trust in His promises, Faithful and sure;
Lean upon the Savior, and thy soul is secure. 
Follow all the way.
Follow Jesus ev'ry day.

:)Click on the link above to hear this lovely hymn.

@turtletwo Yay, found your post. I’ll read it fully again tomorrow due to being tired, but what I did read is lovely. Thanks for posting sis. The Lord bless you. Xxx

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

Just now, marvelloustime said:

@turtletwo Yay, found your post. I’ll read it fully again tomorrow due to being tired, but what I did read is lovely. Thanks for posting sis. The Lord bless you. Xxx

@marvelloustime :)Yes. You must be tuckered out, sis.

It's been a full day for you. 

• Loved it! 1

18 hours ago, turtletwo said:

WHERE HE LEADS I'LL FOLLOW

We live in a sad age when increasingly more and more members of our society, including believers, are becoming followers of all sorts of folks and philosophies.  The internet in particular has allowed people through blogs and social media to regularly follow politicians, entertainment stars, athletes, religious speakers and all sorts of organizations.  And, in so many cases, people just accept what they read without even questioning it.

We need discernment like never before.   There is only one person who has the truth.  Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the life."  And the Apostle Peter states that Christ has left us an example, "that you should follow in His steps" (I Peter 2:21). There is no need to be in the dark if we will accompany the One who declared, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life" (John 8:12).

Nineteen times the Gospel writers record the words of the Lord Jesus, "Follow Me" (for example Matthew 4:19).  And that is the theme of this hymn that should remind each believer of the need to follow Christ daily in all that we do.

William A. Ogden (1841-1897) is said to have been a musical prodigy.  He began studying music at the age of eight and could read church music by ten.  He could write a melody by hearing it sung or played and when he was 18 he became a choir director in his church. 

Through his adult life he enjoyed working with children and teaching them music.  With the outbreak of the Civil War he enlisted in the 30th Indiana Volunteer Infantry.  During the war years he organized a male choir which became known throughout the Army of the Cumberland.  

After the war he resumed his study of music under some of the most prominent musicians of the day.  In 1870, Mr. Ogden published his first song book, called Silver Songs.  The book became very popular, and sold five hundred thousand copies in England alone.   Over the years, William Ogden taught music, not only in the United States, but in Canada as well, and he wrote and published many gospel songs. 

I don't know what led him to write this hymn, but he penned the words and added the tune in 1885.  The hymn reminds us of why we should follow Christ.

Stanza one says that we should because of His message which is sweet, kind, dear and pure - the great example and pattern for us.  Stanza two says we should follow Him because of His love.  In stanza three we are reminded that we should follow Him because of the rest that He gives. "Weary, heavy-laden, there is sweet rest for thee." "Lean upon the Savior and thy soul is secure."  The chorus reminds us of the need to follow Jesus everywhere and at every time. "Where He leads I'll follow, Follow all the way; Where He leads I'll follow, Follow Jesus every day." 

Jesus not only died for our sins and rose again to declare His divine Sonship, but He lived a perfect life as an example of how God wants His children to live. Therefore, it should be our determination, throughout our entire life on earth that, "Where He Leads, I'll Follow."  Is that your desire and prayer?

1     Sweet are the promises, Kind is the word,
Dearer far than any message man ever heard;
Pure was the mind of Christ, Sinless I see;
Follow all the way.
Follow Jesus ev'ry day.

2     Sweet is the tender love Jesus hath shown,
Sweeter far than any love that mortals have known;
Kind to the erring one, Faithful is He;
Follow all the way.
Follow Jesus ev'ry day.

3     List' to His loving words, "Come unto Me;"
Weary, heavy-laden, there is sweet rest for thee;
Trust in His promises, Faithful and sure;
Lean upon the Savior, and thy soul is secure. 
Follow all the way.
Follow Jesus ev'ry day.

:)Click on the link above to hear this lovely hymn.

@turtletwo

I read the full post again this morning. What a wonderful promise we have in Jesus. Thank you for sharing this.

God bless,

Becky.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Days Won:  0

On 8/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, turtletwo said:

I'm finding there are amazing stories behind our beloved hymns. Many were born out of deepest sorrow and trials. I would like to share the background on some of them.

I Am surprised no one has mentioned Fanny Crosby yet. She was Blind yet Oh could she See! She wrote over 8000 Hymns Some of Crosby's best-known songs include "Pass Me Not, O Gentle Saviour", "Blessed Assurance", "Jesus Is Tenderly Calling You Home", "Praise Him, Praise Him", "Rescue the Perishing", and "To God Be the Glory".https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_Crosby

A Quote from Her:

"If I had a choice I would still choose to remain blind... for when I die the first face I will ever see will be the face of my blessed savior."

Here is a lyric that touches on her own blindness in the fourth stanza.

Jesus, keep me near the cross,
  There a precious fountain,
Free to all—a healing stream,
  Flows from Calv’ry’s mountain.
  In the cross, in the cross,
  Be my glory ever;
From the cross my ransomed soul
    Nothing then shall sever.
Near the cross, a trembling soul,
  Love and mercy found me;
There the Bright and Morning Star
  Sheds its beams around me.
Near the cross! O Lamb of God,
  Bring its scenes before me;
Help me walk from day to day,
  With its shadow o’er me.
Near the cross I’ll watch and wait,
  Hoping, trusting ever,
Till I see my Savior’s face,
  Leave His presence never.

• This is Worthy 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

Here is a comforting hymn and how it came to be written.

His Eye Is On The Sparrow 

By Bill Dagle 

It was Mrs. Martin’s daughter who inspired her to write "God Will Take Care of You" with the simple reminder that God does during times of illness. 

The year was 1904, and the Martin’s were living at Practical Bible Training School in Johnson City, New York, at the time. 

Born in Canada, Civilla Martin had taught school for a number of years, but was now traveling with her husband, William, in evangelistic work. 

It was William who put her poem to music; and the hymn, "God Will Take Care of You", was born. 

God had used the words of a little girl the first time to move Civilla’s heart, and now He would do it again with the words of an invalid woman.

It was a bright, clean morning when Mrs. Martin set out on her journey to Elmira, New York.

The Erie train would take some time to cover the 50 mile distance from Binghamton to Elmira, but she felt that every bump in the rails was worth it for the Lord was leading again. 

Years later, she would say that it was the most important trip she had ever taken. 

In her own words, she tells us what happened that day in Elmira: "I wrote the song, His Eye Is on the Sparrow in the company of a bedridden saint in the city of Elmira, New York. I was reading and singing to her; and during our conversation, I chanced to ask her if she did not sometimes get discouraged.

She answered, “Mrs. Martin, how can I be discouraged when my heavenly Father watches over each little sparrow, and I know He loves and cares for me”? 

My husband tried his hand at writing the music for it, but was not satisfied with the results so a short time later, he mailed it to Mr. Charles H. Gabriel who wrote the present music and sent it to Mr. Charles Alexander in England. 

The song was first sung in Royal Albert Hall during the great Torrey Alexander revival in 1905. From there, it has gone all over the world. 

From the words of a child to the wisdom of an elderly saint, we are reminded in song that nothing is too little or too great for our Lord. 

Since He has numbered the very hairs on our heads and counted the sparrows as they fall, in the words of Mrs. Martin, “His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Why should I feel discouraged, Why should the shadows come, 
Why should my heart be lonely And long for Heav’n and home, 
When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He: 
His eye is on the sparrow, And I know He watches me; His eye is on the sparrow, And I know He watches me. 

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear, 
And resting on his goodness, I lose my doubts and fears; 
Tho’ by the path He leadeth 
But one step I may see: 
His eye is on the sparrow, And I know He watches me; His eye is on the sparrow, And I know He watches me. 

Whenever I am tempted, Whenever clouds arise, 
When songs give place to sighing, 
When hope within me dies, 
I draw the closer to Him, From care He sets me free; 

His eye is on the sparrow, And I know He cares for me.

1886727846_hymnthreadsparrowformyhymnthreadHisEyeisonthesparrow.jpg.c5c6b363a7566231be00313bc0c0db54.jpg

• This is Worthy 1

@turtletwo I love that one. His eye is on the sparrow. And I know he’s watching me. 

Praise the Lord, to be Home soon.

• Praise God! 1