• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Hi!

I just want advice. So recently my youth group teacher has been asking me to help him out by teaching. He says that I have great knowledge of the Bible and it would be nice to share that with the youth group. I said that I will think about it and that I might or might not be willing. At this point it's my mouth that's speaking not the rest of me. I don't know what to do because I am willing to share what I know with the youth group but I have issues. First off teaching is not really my thing, unless I am forced to. It would be fine if it was like in a discussion and I say what I would like to say. Secondly I don't want to be the one speaking and even though I don't see myself as a shy person. I do have stage fright, which doesn't help this situation. Honestly I don't know, I would like to say no but for once I would like to face my fears( easier said than done).

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, Keny said:

Hi!

I just want advice. So recently my youth group teacher has been asking me to help him out by teaching. He says that I have great knowledge of the Bible and it would be nice to share that with the youth group. I said that I will think about it and that I might or might not be willing. At this point it's my mouth that's speaking not the rest of me. I don't know what to do because I am willing to share what I know with the youth group but I have issues. First off teaching is not really my thing, unless I am forced to. It would be fine if it was like in a discussion and I say what I would like to say. Secondly I don't want to be the one speaking and even though I don't see myself as a shy person. I do have stage fright, which doesn't help this situation. Honestly I don't know, I would like to say no but for once I would like to face my fears( easier said than done).

I would be honest with your youth group teacher. If you can not do it I would tell that person "No". Some people are people pleasers and they do not know how to say "No". 

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Try to be honest with him with how you feel about it. Maybe he could encourage you or help you out. Then if you think you still can't, it is okay to say No :)

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I used to have stage fright... In my case, I overcame it by doing it more often.. When I was young, what I did was I don't look at the audience but at the wall at the back ? it worked as I started.

I would also pray, for courage from the Lord. Even upto now. Whenever I speak infront, I would think that I will do it for the Lord and with the best I can. And I would hold on to Joshua 1:9

This is how I overcame mine. Praying for you brother! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

10 hours ago, Keny said:

Hi!

You don't tell us how old you are, so I am assuming you are one of the youths in the youth group. When I was growing up, back in the 1950's and 1960's, I attended Sunday school until I reached 9th grade. One of my favorite Sunday school teachers was a high school student.

36 minutes ago, Iamnikki said:

I used to have stage fright... In my case, I overcame it by doing it more often.. When I was young, what I did was I don't look at the audience but at the wall at the back ? it worked as I started.

I would also pray, for courage from the Lord. Even upto now. Whenever I speak infront, I would think that I will do it for the Lord and with the best I can. And I would hold on to Joshua 1:9

This is how I overcame mine. Praying for you brother! 

To be honest the only reason I considered it was because I saw it as an opportunity to face my fears. Unfortunately though, since I am going to be facing them and it's a small room I would have no choice but to look at them. Also I am not going to be standing up if I was to do it. I like your advice to look at the back wall. 

• Loved it! 1

7 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I would be honest with your youth group teacher. If you can not do it I would tell that person "No". Some people are people pleasers and they do not know how to say "No". 

I am not trying to please anyone. In fact I don't like being the center of attention. I am more towards leaning on the no side rather than yes. But since I have stage for ght should I just speak up in front of people only if I have no choice? 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,397
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I'd say it's worth trying a few times. It may or may not become easier over time. It's worth taking your youth pastor's sentiment to heart anyway. Speaking in front of a crowd isn't the only way to share the Gospel and provide instruction. Written word can be a form of teaching as well, so writing devotionals could be a viable form of compromise if speaking to a group turns out to not be for you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

6 hours ago, Keny said:

I am not trying to please anyone. In fact I don't like being the center of attention. I am more towards leaning on the no side rather than yes. But since I have stage for ght should I just speak up in front of people only if I have no choice? 

If you are not comfortable speaking in front of people don't subject yourself to the stress. It may not get easier.

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

If you are not comfortable speaking in front of people don't subject yourself to the stress. It may not get easier.

That's the thing! I read that if you don't subject yourself to your fears you will never grow out of it!