ReneeIW

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  0

What would you think of a “devout” Christian who leads a Bible Study saying they were not a drug addict but only uses a certain(very addictive and illegal) drug “very  sparingly.”

Isn’t that worse  than being an addict? I know nothing about drugs, but I would think that if you are not addicted, then you have no excuse for ever using drugs.

I was told that we are not supposed to judge people about things that are not specifically in the Bible but I’m having a hard time not judging this.

Thoughts?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Perhaps point out how we are to obey the laws of the land except where they contradict the Lord. Since a drug is illegal, its a sin to be using it. Does the church leadership know this person is in sin and hosting a bible study?

For me personally, if I approached that bible study leader, and if they just made excuses for it, I would leave the bible study. 

I dont know that it is worse or better than an addict. Both wilfully use something that is illegal. What strikes me is that the person is leading a bible study yet excuses their willful sin. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,901
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

47 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Perhaps point out how we are to obey the laws of the land except where they contradict the Lord. Since a drug is illegal, its a sin to be using it. Does the church leadership know this person is in sin and hosting a bible study?

For me personally, if I approached that bible study leader, and if they just made excuses for it, I would leave the bible study. 

I dont know that it is worse or better than an addict. Both wilfully use something that is illegal. What strikes me is that the person is leading a bible study yet excuses their willful sin. 

I came across a youth Bible study leader who was touted as switched on for Christ by unsuspecting Baptists promoting his style. Turned out he was selling LSD tabs to vulnerable school students after the mid-week evening groups they attended. He was using the line that it would help them experience God. 

Deception. Corruption. Exploitation. All these in the name of Christ. Christians beware!

• Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

2 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

I came across a youth Bible study leader who was touted as switched on for Christ by unsuspecting Baptists promoting his style. Turned out he was selling LSD tabs to vulnerable school students after the mid-week evening groups they attended. He was using the line that it would help them experience God. 

Deception. Corruption. Exploitation. All these in the name of Christ. Christians beware!

Oy vey. Wolves show up everywhere. Hopefully he was exposed early on michael?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,901
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

9 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Oy vey. Wolves show up everywhere. Hopefully he was exposed early on michael?

I hope he was. Long time ago.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

What would you think of a “devout” Christian who leads a Bible Study saying they were not a drug addict but only uses a certain(very addictive and illegal) drug “very  sparingly.”

Isn’t that worse  than being an addict? I know nothing about drugs, but I would think that if you are not addicted, then you have no excuse for ever using drugs.

I was told that we are not supposed to judge people about things that are not specifically in the Bible but I’m having a hard time not judging this.

Thoughts?

I would approach that person and tell them that I would rather not attend their Bible study. This is a teacher of God's Word and should not be partaking in illegal drugs. I would also have a talk with the Churches Pastor. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,398
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

You might want to check out the word "pharmakeia" in the context of the Bible. Some of the time when the Bible speaks of witchcraft and the like the Greek versions use that word. So it seems to be referring to the use of mind altering substances.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

5 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

Thoughts?

You said, I was told, Not suppose to judge people. Did you listen. What if these  Devout Christians,  sparingly in your words smoke  some of the peace pipe. Do we run them off there  reservation,  Its legal in many countries and is medical benefits and  purpose are now being understood.  What if they are really nice people that love our Lord, and teach his words. Step up and cast the first stone. The first time  i smoked the peace pipe as a follower of the Messiah, I couldn't stop thinking about him the hole time I was high.  You can cast stones at me two, as i thank him every day.  I'm not condoning or condemning   but a lot of followers are not following his words. Whats Judge Not mean.

Edited by DJbowler
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,015
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,277
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

4 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing!   I would have told the pastor and the police.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  16

14 minutes ago, DJbowler said:

You said, I was told, Not suppose to judge people. Did you listen. What if these  Devout Christians,  sparingly in your words smoke  some of the peace pipe. Do we run them off there  reservation,  Its legal in many countries and is medical benefits and  purpose are now being understood.  What if they are really nice people that love our Lord, and teach his words. Step up and cast the first stone. The first time  i smoked the peace pipe as a follower of the Messiah, I couldn't stop thinking about him the hole time I was high.  You can cast stones at me two, as i thank him every day.  I'm not condoning or condemning   but a lot of followers are not following his words. Whats Judge Not mean.

You might enjoy reading 1st Corinthians Chapter 5...and it might modify what you appear to now believe about "judging".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1