Posted (edited)

It's hard to know how to pray sometimes.  I remember a time when I could NOT pray publicly - at ALL.  And my silent prayers were sort of sad. I like to be specific when I pray and if I am praying for others - salvation, sanctification, healing, deliverance - I like to use specific words here, too.

I'll make a long story short.  We are having a prayer revival this week.  Only small groups are meeting at the church, homes, or wherever.  What are we praying for?  We don't know.  We are letting God lead the prayers.  Last night, my small group had a burden for families and individuals in our church in trouble, pain, in grief, in fear, and/or out of the will of God, and more.  We prayed individually and corporately for them.

The pastor said to listen to the prayers of others and the Holy Spirit may spur something in us to pray there or at home.  Well, last night in my group - it happened to me.  I heard the words of someone else that MOVED me in incorporate into my own prayers.

I already use the word mercy a lot.  I have since last summer when I begged God for mercy on my family and he gave it 110%.  I don't use that word lightly anymore and use it for others a lot now.

Why don't we start a list of words or phrases that are meaningful to us and maybe we could inspire each other on what to pray for and how to pray for it.

Here's my initial list.  Please list some of your words of prayer and let's help each other.

1.  I ask for mercy, hedges of protection, and deliverance for people/my family a lot.

2.  Last night in prayer group, someone ask for "conviction of sin and victory over evil" for a family experiencing a bad time due to sin.  There's a phrase I'm going to use, too, now.  "Conviction AND victory".

Do you have some prayer phrases that you feel gets to the heart of the matter and that God hears?

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

It's really important to me to know I am praying for God's will to be accomplished in any situation.  

James 4:3 is a good reminder about why certain prayers may not be answered... "You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures."  I remember one time, a lady went down front during the altar call to give a praise report because the church's prayers for her healing had been answered.  She actually said, "God has been so faithful to answer our prayers that it makes me want to ask Him for a new car!" (Well.... I am going to assume she was just kidding....and that's all I have to say about that.)

However, we can never "ask amiss" if we express praise for Him, trust in His mercy and grace, and do our asking in accordance with His will.  "Thy will be done" is the prayer that never fails, and I believe scripture strengthens our prayers as well--letting our Father know that we trust in His promises to us--actually verbalizing those that apply.  Then, whatever we ask, we must remember to ask in Jesus' name, for without Him we would not even have the privilege to ask anything. 

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

Posted (edited)

We should always pray “in Jesus’ name.

B7104C16-D8E4-4088-AD89-66A0773418D8.gif.6fe04a831c5943e25ddefe0d12670122.gif 

Prayer must be in Jesus' name. The relationship of prayer is through Jesus. And the prayer itself must be offered in His name, because the whole strength of the case lies in Jesus. I recall distinctly a certain section of this country where I was for awhile, and very rarely did I hear Jesus' name used in prayer. I heard men, that I knew must be good men, praying in church, in prayer-meeting and elsewhere with no mention of Jesus. Let us distinctly bear in mind that we have no standing with God except through Jesus.

If the keenest lawyer of London, who knew more of American law, and of Illinois statute and of Chicago ordinance—suppose such a case—were to come here, could he plead a case in your court-house? you know he could not. He would have no legal standing here. Now you and I have no standing at yonder bar. We are disbarred through sin. Only as we come through one who has recognized standing there can we come.

But turn that fact around. As we do come in Jesus' name, it is the same as though Jesus prayed. It is the same as though—let me be saying it very softly so it may seem very reverent—as though Jesus put His arm in yours and took you up to the Father, and said, "Father, here is a friend of mine; we're on good terms. Please give him anything he asks, for My sake." And the Father would quickly bend over and graciously say, "What'll you have? You may have anything you ask when My Son asks for it." That is the practical effect of asking in Jesus' name.

But I am very, very clear of this, and I keep swinging back to it that in the ultimate analysis the force of using Jesus' name is that He is the victor over the traitor prince. Prayer is repeating the Victor's name into the ears of Satan and insisting upon his retreat. As one prays persistently in Jesus' name, the evil one must go. Reluctantly, angrily, he must loosen his clutches, and go back.

— Gordon 

Edited by Sonshine☀️
  • Praise God! 2

I grew up in the Lord praying conversational prayers.  That is to say, we would pray a rather short prayer for someone, and that would inspire someone else to add a thought, which would inspire another thought and so on.  That is also how my husband and I prayed, agreeing with each other.  It was such a blessing as the Holy Spirit would weave our prayers together.  I miss that so much.  

• Loved it! 2

prayer.jpg.4d4330f479425543c7df29efe3ccf368.jpg

Pray what the Holy spirit puts on your heart