• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

Jude chapter 1 verse 7

In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

Lot who escaped from Sodom and Gomorrah slept with his two daughters after.

Abraham was married to his sister.

Isaac married his cousin.

Jacob married two of his cousins.

Or is it all about love, Sodom and Gomorrah didn't have that.

1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8

Love covers a great many sins.

James chapter 2 verse 18

But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.

Any ideas there's nothing in the bible that explains.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

26 minutes ago, john1 said:

Jude chapter 1 verse 7

In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

Lot who escaped from Sodom and Gomorrah slept with his two daughters after.

Abraham was married to his sister.

Isaac married his cousin.

Jacob married two of his cousins.

Or is it all about love, Sodom and Gomorrah didn't have that.

1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8

Love covers a great many sins.

James chapter 2 verse 18

But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.

Any ideas there's nothing in the bible that explains.

Hi John,

Interesting question. I`ll have a go.

1. The two daughters were the instigators of that wrong behaviour. Lot`s error was to get drunk.

2. Abraham was married to his half sister, and there was nothing wrong with that. Only today the consequences of a close union is dangerous.

3. Same with Isaac marrying his cousin. 

4. Also with Jacob marrying his cousins. He was deceived in relation to marrying his first wife, (Leah) and thus went on to work for the one he originally asked for. (Rachael)

While there is some errors in some of this these people did follow God and thus they had issues to work through. As for Sodom and Gomorrah, those people never repented and followed God. If they were not judged then countless children would have been brought up to do the same behaviour, as well as worshipping Molech putting some of their children through the fire. Horrendous.

Marilyn.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,542
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

Sodom were having sex with anyone outside of marriage. They were like the Angels who left there proper place. The Angel's were disobedient to Gods command to live and rule in there own place. Sodom left marriage covenant to have sex with anyone. Our country is like Sodom now. The Angels saw the women of the earth were beautiful and went with them for sex. That was forbidden by God. 

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,674
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I don't believe incest was a sin back then...

2 hours ago, The_Patriot2019 said:

I don't believe incest was a sin back then...

If incest wasn't a sin yet neither was homosexuality.

Moses wasn't around until about 4 or 500 years later.

John chapter 1 verse 17

For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

5 minutes ago, john1 said:

If incest wasn't a sin yet neither was homosexuality.

Hi @john1,

I wouldn't surmise quite that far. The Lord must have seen the sexual union between two men as an abomination. But the list of sins for both Sodom and Gomorrah were far more than just homosexuality. Here's what the Word says concerning these two cities. 

Genesis 18:20-21 20And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous; 21I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

Ezekiel 16:49-50 49Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. 50And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.

Genesis 13:13 13But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the LORD exceedingly.

• This is Worthy 1

24 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

I wouldn't surmise quite that far.

Ezekiel chapter 16 verse 49

"'Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.

I guess Abraham and his family must have helped the poor and needy.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 minute ago, john1 said:

I guess Abraham and his family must have helped the poor and needy.

Yes, I would imagine so. The Lord blessed Abraham exceedingly, and made him a very influential man of faith.

Genesis 17:1-8 1And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect. 2And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly. 3And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying, 4As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations. 5Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee. 6And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee. 7And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee. 8And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Good question.  And there IS a big difference.

In terms of Isaac and Jacob marrying cousins, it is not against God's law to marry cousins.  It may be against the law of your government, but not God's law.  Certain marital relations were forbidden in the law [much later by the way] in relationships including: [Leviticus 18 and 20].  

•  parent-child
  •  grand-parent/grandchild
  •  full brother and sister
  •  aunt-nephew
  •  uncle-niece
  •  immediate in-laws

Abraham was married to his half-sister.  Abraham lived before the law.

Lot was not married to his daughters.  His daughters got him drunk and each had a "one-night-stand" so to speak to get pregnant by him.  That was a sin because this was not marriage.  It was a sick fornication.

Sodom and Gomorrah were not practicing marriage.  They were practice a lot of things says the Bible, but sexual abominations were a big one.

The difference is marriage and fornication.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Jayne said:

In terms of Isaac and Jacob marrying cousins, it is not against God's law to marry cousins.

Leviticus chapter 18 verse 6

"'No one is to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. I am the LORD.

31 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Sodom and Gomorrah were not practicing marriage. 

Luke chapter 17

26  "Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. 27  People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all. 28  "It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building. 29  But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all. 30  "It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed.

• Praise God! 1