IGNORED

Is masturbation a sin? Asking for a friend.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

Seasonedbygrace,

I thought I had responded to this. Thanks for sharing with me the Greek meaning behind that word and verse. 

I had always been taught that the word “simplicity” in that  verse was referring to the simple message of the GOSPEL. The warning  was about being careful of those who want to complicate the message for their own gain. Or those who twist the meaning of the message for their own gain.

I don’t think quoting Greek and Hewbrew is showing off at all. It’s very helpful.  

I was referring to the argument about child abuse not being in the Bible. The simple biblical truth is that all kinds of abuse are bad. The discussion should end there.  Going into a theological discussion about the fact that those words aren’t in the Bible moves us away from the simple and basic truth that abuse is sinful. And in some cases, may provide an argument for those who want to abuse kids(I wonder how many priests have said that child abuse is not in the Bible). So when you get away from some of the simple messages it allows Satan to come in and muddy the waters. Just my opinion.

I remember being in Philosophy class and having the professor drag me into a debate about the fact that he believed the Bible teaches that a man can rape a woman. He was referring to a verse in Deuteronomy. We all know rape is a sin, but if we allow ourselves to get away from that simple and basic truth and dragged into some sort of theological debate about the verse in Deuteronomy, some may walk away believing the Bible condones  rape.

I’m not sure if  any of that makes any sense. Abuse of any kind is a sensitive subject for me and I get overly sensitive when someone claims it’s not in the Bible. Thanks again for your post

Hi there, and thanks for getting back to me.

Actually RENEEiW The entire bible talks about abuse all through it.

The opposite of abuse is love, and the entire bible, and one of Jesus many reasons for coming was to teach us to love. Love God, love our neighbors, love those who hate us, and those who abuse us, but not allow it if it was possible. Abuse of any kind is the opposite of love, and so is todays bullying.

The idea is love the abuser and forgive them but don't love the abuse which is satanic.

If we can, sometimes with a believer therapist help we can learn to let go of our emotions and triggers  (Yes I have them from my abuse ) with God's help.

Forgiveness helps us release the anger and bitterness. (Again speaking from experience. I still carry the emotional scars, but not nearly as bad as before therapy - Many, many years )

Edited by Seasoned by Grace
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 10 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 8/14/2019 at 7:25 PM, Bawcash said:

I grew up in a culture where is was looked at as a sin. But as an adult I don't really think so. I have heard that because of what Onan did in Genesis 3:9-10 and God killed him for it makes it a sin. It's kind of obvious that God wasn't happy with his attitude and it wasn't so much what he did.

I think it is sin by principle, lusting is a sin. If you masturbate without lusting then it is similar to forcing wet dreams, in my view. Its my opinion.