IGNORED

How do you get God to take a desire away?

Figure of eighty

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  239
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,542
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

Being married used to be a huge desire for me. Now I just dont want it.. A part of me still does but I don't want to want it. 

I just want to be okay being alone because I feel that's what the future holds for me.  I don't think Ill get married and I don't want to waste a second more being upset about it.   

I just want to accept it and let it go. I truly wish i were like paul to where it didnt bother him.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Hi @Figure of eighty,

I understand what you're saying here. You're young, and the Lord has you in the palm of His mighty hand. There are the priorities and responsibilities of bearing and raising a child right now, that take precedence in your life at this time being. That's a whole lot to deal with, and it's not necessary to plan beyond you and your baby's immediate future. God has plans for all that, and it's best to give your life to Him, and He will lead the way. 

Proverbs 3:6 6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Jeremiah 29:11 11For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

God bless you.

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 2

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  510
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,178
  • Content Per Day:  1.46
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Figure of eighty said:

Being married used to be a huge desire for me. Now I just dont want it.. A part of me still does but I don't want to want it. 

I just want to be okay being alone because I feel that's what the future holds for me.  I don't think Ill get married and I don't want to waste a second more being upset about it.   

I just want to accept it and let it go. I truly wish i were like paul to where it didnt bother him.

Hi, if you would allow me to speak boldly on this subject. It might answer this question, also it can be extrapolated as far as you are willing to take it. For you already recognize the two contrary wills in you. 

The answer is;

“died to it”

For this is what our salvation in Christ consists of;

“our deaths in Christ” 

This “our deaths” frees us from all that “other will” you find in you, that raises it’s head contrary to the will of God. 

For consider;

How could you be guaranteed to never ever sin from now to all eternity?

There is but one way, your death. If you were to die right this instant you would be free from that “contrary will” you find in you and all else that would be contrary to the will of God. 

Sin and the desire of the fallen nature (body of sin or flesh) would still be very much alive in you. But “you” the soul that was “born from Adam” has died. “For He that has died is freed from sin”. (contrary will)

“When Christ died you died”

Consider if you were to die right this second and Mr Sin came along as said “come on, let’s go sin”. The desire to go would still be there, but you would be incapable of responding to it, for you were dead.

In scripture this is also called being crucified with Christ or denying self and henceforth the command to;

“reckon yourself dead unto sin and alive unto God”

This is the foundation of our salvation in Christ, “our deaths with Him.”

This also in scripture is called “our reasonable service, as those alive from the dead.” 

Hope this helps a little. Take these words before God and ask about them. For freedom from yourself and all that is contrary to righteousness is here to be found. 

~~For being dead in Christ is the greatest thing in all the world.~~

(Just so you know the desire to marry is a natural one. Like the desire for food, it is part of life. I can’t speak for God and know nothing about you. But God’s heart towards you is to give you a future and a hope. Don’t sell Him short or put your fears and doubts in Him. Just trust His love for you and let Him orchestrate your life and when all is said and done you will get your “well done” and that my friend are the two greatest words in all the world.

Be blessed in Christ, Not me 

Edited by Not me
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

3 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

I used to want to get married, and it became scaring thinking maybe I would have to start begging someone to marry me. Then one day it occurred to me that I didn't have to get married. It was like having the weight of the world taken off my shoulders.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

All these desires you want for yourself. We give our lives to Jesus Christ and He controls our life. It sounds like you are controlling your own life.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

5 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

Being married used to be a huge desire for me. Now I just dont want it.. A part of me still does but I don't want to want it. I just want to be okay being alone because I feel that's what the future holds for me.  I don't think Ill get married and I don't want to waste a second more being upset about it.   I just want to accept it and let it go. I truly wish i were like paul to where it didnt bother him.

All of the Faithful Ekklesia did struggle with sin.   With self-will.  With fleshly desires.  

Then,   they were born again.  

As written,  ALL their desires , all their self-life,

fleshly life, 

was CRUCIFIED WITH CHRIST (a finished reality,  accomplished by the Father in heaven in Christ Jesus as written (not "as felt") ) ....

God doesn't 'clean' up the flesh to use the flesh,  no.  According to all His Word,  the flesh is crucified,  the believer is now dead to the world, and the world is dead to the believer.    THUS< A NEW CREATION >! !  

• Praise God! 1

2 hours ago, pinacled said:

If you have any external influential people in your life that have preassured you into seeking marriage simply because you are a single mother.

Then its best to simply remove yourself from under their nonsense. 

Its not about getting The Lord to do something about such.

What's important is that you listen to The Lords guidance in the spirit. And if ultimately need be, remove yourself from a oppressive or hostile environment.

Guard your heart firstly. Then if anyone in your life persist in discussing your own personal life. Sternly let them know that they are prying. Do so without anger and The Lord will lead your speech.

Blessings Always

Yeah. Definitely. I dont think getting married just to not be a single mom is the wisest thing to do.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

I used to want to get married, and it became scaring thinking maybe I would have to start begging someone to marry me. Then one day it occurred to me that I didn't have to get married. It was like having the weight of the world taken off my shoulders.

This is true.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

5 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

Being married used to be a huge desire for me. Now I just dont want it.. A part of me still does but I don't want to want it.   I just want to be okay being alone because I feel that's what the future holds for me.  I don't think Ill get married and I don't want to waste a second more being upset about it.    I just want to accept it and let it go. I truly wish i were like paul to where it didnt bother him.

[EDIT: reformatted]

As I read this post in the context of a number of posts over the past months, I'm not sure if I'm reading confusion or conviction.   Sometimes conflicting feelings like this are symptoms of things that God needs to work on and heal in our lives.  There is a huge difference between God putting a desire for singleness in our hearts versus avoiding marriage because of pain, betrayal,  or bitterness from past relationships.  The one is pursuing what God meant us to be while the other is fleeing the past without looking to God for healing and needed change.  Singleness due to God's direction will be a blessing.  Singleness due to trying to escape pain and bad memories won't be a blessing.

Bad relationships create baggage that we carry forward into all future relationships.  We usually get into bad relationships because something was wrong in our hearts and lives that got us into those situations.  Those bad relationships cause more problems inside of us.   Unless we let God do work in our hearts and lives and heal us of both what caused us to pursue bad relationships as well the damage from the bad relationships, we'll be carrying both things going forward.  This will affect all future relationships we have including how we raise and treat our children.   If there was something that caused us to get into bad relationships to begin with that God does not deal with and heal, that thing will be around to affect us and our children.  If there are unforgiven and unhealed things from bad relationships, those will affect all of our future relationships including with our children.  

It's easy to believe that our good intentions will cause us to rise above the past;  but good intentions rarely overpower emotional and spiritual bondage we have in our hearts.  Anyone with bad relationships in their past really needs to seek God's guidance and direction for healing, forgiveness, and working through whatever negative things are still clinging to us.  Unless God deals with it, chances are that those things that drove us into bad relationships will remain to negatively affect future relationships including how we raise our children.