IGNORED

Small town girl going to college in NYC. Any advice?

mlbrokish

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/10/1972

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

Learn how to use public transit, it's invaluable when it comes to getting around. It wouldn't surprise me if there are several Christian groups and clubs on campus she could join as well.

Ultimately, she should be fine. The hardest part is probably just going to be that she's on her own and that's fine, she can discover what she wants and likes to do.

Make sure she calls you every once in a while.

Thank you @Clipper, I forgot about public transit. That is a excellent thing for her to check into.

I've mentioned to her to join some youth groups and she's considering Christian Faith and Action as one of them.

She's got a wonderful dorm roommate (from Australia) and the both plan on going to some plays, and such, together.

56 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Is your daughter a Christian?

When she was younger she talked some about Jesus and went through Communion, Confirmation, etc.  I want to believe that she accepted Jesus as her Savior back then, but, to be quite honest, I don't really know for certain.  When I mention God or Jesus around her the past couple years, she turns away.  I can only pray that God protects her and that she will come back to trusting Him again soon.

28 minutes ago, Repose said:

Never walk around alone; travel in a group for the sake of safety. 

Keep a can of pepper spray. 

Find time to rest. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Even God rested on the seventh day.

Plan things out beforehand. Like me, I arrange my outfit for tomorrow before I go to bed and set it beside the bed. That way, I get up, and it's much less fuss. Working hard now means working far less later.

Stand your ground. College professors are some of the worst of the bunch. Sleeping with students to improve their grade, using persuasion in the classroom to try and make students think a certain way... I even heard of one taking a student to a concert and offering them shrooms. Respect them as a teacher, but hold firm if they come after you. No price can be placed on one's integrity.

Thank you!  The first 3 things I have already talked about with her (buying pepper spray for her, next week).

I hadn't thought about the ugly side of college professors and the influence that they can have.  I'll make her aware of all you have mentioned. Thank you again, @Repose

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

10 minutes ago, mlbrokish said:

She struggles with trusting God, especially as she has progressed through the teen years. 

Even if she is struggling with her belief in God. He absolutely loves her and we don't know the plans He has for her. I know when I was at her age, God was someone distant to me. I didn't read the bible or go to church and wouldn't really have the time to listen to someone talk to me about Him. I would never ever dream what plans he had laid out for me to be saved, grateful and so thankful for all he did through my life.  Just keep praying and being there for her.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

9 minutes ago, mlbrokish said:

When she was younger she talked some about Jesus and went through Communion, Confirmation, etc.  I want to believe that she accepted Jesus as her Savior back then, but, to be quite honest, I don't really know for certain.  When I mention God or Jesus around her the past couple years, she turns away.  I can only pray that God protects her and that she will come back to trusting Him again soon.

The best thing you can do for your daughter is to pray for her. That her heart will be opened to God. Christianity will definitely be challenged when she attends a college. You can be the best representative to your daughter of who God is. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

8 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

The best thing you can do for your daughter is to pray for her. That her heart will be opened to God. Christianity will definitely be challenged when she attends a college. You can be the best representative to your daughter of who God is. 

Thank you.  I'll continue to pray, along with speak to her about the challenges outside of school.

2 hours ago, lovethelord said:

Even if she is struggling with her belief in God. He absolutely loves her and we don't know the plans He has for her. I know when I was at her age, God was someone distant to me. I didn't read the bible or go to church and wouldn't really have the time to listen to someone talk to me about Him.

This sounds exactly like my daughter these last couple of years.  It's good to know someone who has experienced this point of view and found hope in God after all.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

23 hours ago, mlbrokish said:

My daughter heads off to Columbia University in a week. What advice do you have for a naive, 18 year old from a small rural community in Wisconsin going to New York City?

She's traveling out there with her older sister & a trusted guy friend of our family.

They are planning to Uber into the city from their hotel near New Jersey.

I hope you've warned her not to be led astray. She'll run into a lot of people who'd love to lead her astray.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,065
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

17 hours ago, mlbrokish said:

This sounds exactly like my daughter these last couple of years.  It's good to know someone who has experienced this point of view and found hope in God after all.

Better of the promises God, Himself, gives us

Prov 22:6

6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
KJV

2 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

I hope you've warned her not to be led astray. She'll run into a lot of people who'd love to lead her astray.

I have, and I will definitely remind her again.  Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1