IGNORED

Small town girl going to college in NYC. Any advice?

mlbrokish

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/10/1972

My daughter heads off to Columbia University in a week. What advice do you have for a naive, 18 year old from a small rural community in Wisconsin going to New York City?

She's traveling out there with her older sister & a trusted guy friend of our family.

They are planning to Uber into the city from their hotel near New Jersey.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,382
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Stay grounded in her faith and keep a safe mental and emotional distance from others. Colleges these days can be very anti-religious in more ways than one so it's important to stay connected to God. Hopefully she can get involved in some Christian groups to counteract the pressures. Other than that mind the finances! NYC is expensive.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

mlbrokish,

I'd stress the importance of trusting the Lord and making her choices based on God’s Word. When she gets settled in, finding a Christ-exalting God centered church that preaches the whole counsel of God where she can get connected with other Christians as well.  She will be exposed to many new influences, people, materialistic things and to guard her heart and not to crave the “delights” that the city offers.  Get plenty of rest, exercise, eat and be sure to call you and your family as often as she can! :)

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  11/18/2000

Learn how to use public transit, it's invaluable when it comes to getting around. It wouldn't surprise me if there are several Christian groups and clubs on campus she could join as well.

Ultimately, she should be fine. The hardest part is probably just going to be that she's on her own and that's fine, she can discover what she wants and likes to do.

Make sure she calls you every once in a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, mlbrokish said:

My daughter heads off to Columbia University in a week. What advice do you have for a naive, 18 year old from a small rural community in Wisconsin going to New York City?

She's traveling out there with her older sister & a trusted guy friend of our family.

They are planning to Uber into the city from their hotel near New Jersey.

Is your daughter a Christian?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Never walk around alone; travel in a group for the sake of safety. 

Keep a can of pepper spray. 

Find time to rest. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Even God rested on the seventh day.

Plan things out beforehand. Like me, I arrange my outfit for tomorrow before I go to bed and set it beside the bed. That way, I get up, and it's much less fuss. Working hard now means working far less later.

Stand your ground. College professors are some of the worst of the bunch. Sleeping with students to improve their grade, using persuasion in the classroom to try and make students think a certain way... I even heard of one taking a student to a concert and offering them shrooms. Respect them as a teacher, but hold firm if they come after you. No price can be placed on one's integrity.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rick_Parker said:

Don't get pregnant!

Great advice! :t2: (like she hasn't heard that from us (her dad & I) countless times) :) ( -- not exactly the advice I thought I'd get, but it made me smile)

We have been quite open with her to remind her that boys/guys generally have two things on their mind: Sex and Food.

1 hour ago, AnOrangeCat said:

Stay grounded in her faith and keep a safe mental and emotional distance from others. Colleges these days can be very anti-religious in more ways than one so it's important to stay connected to God. Hopefully she can get involved in some Christian groups to counteract the pressures. Other than that mind the finances! NYC is expensive.

Thank you.  She's been going through struggles with putting trust in God for a while, so I am concerned she doesn't get wrapped up in temptations of the environment.  I just pray that God will keep her safe and that she will come to Him again soon.

1 hour ago, lovethelord said:

mlbrokish,

I'd stress the importance of trusting the Lord and making her choices based on God’s Word. When she gets settled in, finding a Christ-exalting God centered church that preaches the whole counsel of God where she can get connected with other Christians as well.  She will be exposed to many new influences, people, materialistic things and to guard her heart and not to crave the “delights” that the city offers.  Get plenty of rest, exercise, eat and be sure to call you and your family as often as she can! :)

She struggles with trusting God, especially as she has progressed through the teen years.  I have made mention of joining a group or two on campus to find some safe and trusting friends, and I know she is considering CFA, Columbia Faith and Action, as one of them.  

Thank you for your advice.