narcissim

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I watched a video on youtube that said narcissits are reprobates.  I have three general questions.  I seem to fit all of the qualities of a true narcissist.  I am scared.  can I be redeemed?  some say that you never know how far gone they are but what is the point of trying if I truly have believed im one for years?  why not just accept im going to hell?  also what is hell like?  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

38 minutes ago, Alex44 said:

I watched a video on youtube that said narcissits are reprobates.  I have three general questions.  I seem to fit all of the qualities of a true narcissist.  I am scared.  can I be redeemed?  some say that you never know how far gone they are but what is the point of trying if I truly have believed im one for years?  why not just accept im going to hell?  also what is hell like?  

Hi @Alex44

Yes, you can be redeemed. I'm just curious though, have you never accepted Jesus as your Saviour, and asked Him into your heart before? As for your concerns and also salvation, this verse comes to mind. 

2 Peter 3:9 9The LORD is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

I'm not why you consider yourself a reprobate either. There's a reference on CARM.org about someone who has a reprobate mind, but it's pretty severe. Anyway this is it. 

A reprobate mind is a mind that is given over to sinful passions and ungodly desires. It is another way of describing a person who is set on satisfying the flesh and not on the Spirit of God. It is a person who rejects God and does what is self-serving instead of what God desires. Therefore, someone who is reprobate is under the condemnation of God.

Saying, "can I be redeemed?" seems outside of being a reprobate, because you don't sound like someone who wishes to reject God at this point in life. So again, I'm wondering what's keeping you from making the decision to come to Christ?  

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "What does it mean to have a reprobate mind?"

Answer: 
The phrase “reprobate mind” is found in Romans 1:28 in reference to those whom God has rejected as godless and wicked. They “suppress the truth by their wickedness,” and it is upon these people that the wrath of God rests (Romans 1:18). The Greek word translated “reprobate” in the New Testament is adokimos, which means literally “unapproved, that is, rejected; by implication, worthless (literally or morally).”

Paul describes two men named Jannes and Jambres as those who “resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith" (2 Timothy 3:8). Here the reprobation is regarding the resistance to the truth because of corrupt minds. In Titus, Paul also refers to those whose works are reprobate: “They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate” (Titus 1:16). Therefore, the reprobate mind is one that is corrupt and worthless.

As we can see in the verses above, people who are classified as having a reprobate mind have some knowledge of God and perhaps know of His commandments. However, they live impure lives and have very little desire to please God. Those who have reprobate minds live corrupt and selfish lives. Sin is justified and acceptable to them. The reprobates are those whom God has rejected and has left to their own devices.

Can a Christian have a reprobate mind? Someone who has sincerely accepted Jesus Christ by faith will not have this mindset because the old person with a reprobate mind has been recreated into a new creation: “The old has passed away; behold, the new has come” (2 Corinthians 5:17). Christians are basically “new” people. We live differently and speak differently. Our world is centered on our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, and how we can serve Him. Also, if we are truly in the faith, we will have the Holy Spirit to help us live a God-honoring life (John 14:26). Those with reprobate minds do not have the Spirit and live only for themselves.

https://www.gotquestions.org/reprobate-mind.html

Edited by missmuffet

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Days Won:  0

On 8/16/2019 at 10:30 AM, Alex44 said:

I watched a video on youtube that said narcissits are reprobates.  I have three general questions.  I seem to fit all of the qualities of a true narcissist.  I am scared.  can I be redeemed?  some say that you never know how far gone they are but what is the point of trying if I truly have believed im one for years?  why not just accept im going to hell?  also what is hell like?

Alex,

Narcissism is a Psychological diagnoses, We as people in this generation are living in the "selfie generation". Being Focused on self, is not Narcissism but rather immaturity. It is easy to mix the two. Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is an inflated sense of self importance, and a resultant lack of empathy for others. So For example, a Cult leader that makes themselves out to be the Voice of God demanding devotion of their followers to the detriment of those followers like Jim Jones, is a Narcissist. To be selfish, and self centered is a detriment to yourself, not so much to others. being self centered can lead to Narcissism, but A lot has to happen before this becomes a disorder.

A Narcissist is not beyond hope of redemption, But it would take a severe blow to the ego for that narcissist to come to the cross in repentance.

Have You ever admitted you are wrong before? if So you probably are not a narcissist. Have you ever asked someone for forgiveness because you hurt them? If so you are probably not a narcissist.

And here is a big one, Can a Christian become a narcissist? Yes they can. We often see this amongst church leaders. and Preachers and priests. Read the following link, and this is good for anyone who thinks they may be under the spell of such a Narcissist church leader. It comes in 8 Parts I will post the link to one part, and you should be able to navigate to others. It is about cults, in general, and how they gain control.

https://libertyforcaptives.com/2012/06/24/mind-field-eight-ways-to-identify-religious-brainwashing-part-1-of-8/