Repose

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

What is your opinion? Should one avoid music altogether? Only listen to Christian music? Listen to whatever kind of music, so long as there's no swearing or anything inappropriate? Or just listen to whatever?

It's something I wonder about often. I'm curious as to how others feel.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

I think music is good as long as it doesn't have alot of verbal garbage in it....be careful of what you listen to.   Some secular music is ok.   Also, I hate music that is so loud that you might become deaf listening to it.   

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

17 hours ago, Repose said:

What is your opinion? Should one avoid music altogether? Only listen to Christian music? Listen to whatever kind of music, so long as there's no swearing or anything inappropriate? Or just listen to whatever?

Well I tell ya, it is like this -it don't matter what one listens to or plays someone is going to have a wild hair objection to it. So if it lifts your spirit makes you happy gives you a good countenance toward our Lord and savior enjoy.  Hum, sing, play, make a joyful noise. and let the grump go grump grump grump grump. Tell them there is a musical rhythm to their grumping, it will drive them into silence for at least a bit. 

Martin Luther had objection to the church organ, called it the  devil's instrment, Church of Christ has various rules against instruments because they say the New Testament is silent on the subject of instruments and they only speak of what the Bible speaks of- go figure that one out humming abit as you do. Seems there is both a direct assault upon our enjoyment of worship nd an indirect one by way of music that is not praising of our creator and instead often a direct denial of Him.

I never enjoyed  "church" music until recently when i changed churches to a really livelu group that praises God in song - worship- so intense it makes me very aware of the Holy Spirit moving among  us. now i sing perhaps just joyful noise, but I love it for my God seems to  be showing us that  He loves it too.

BTW- as a personal preference I love to listen to George's wife's music ( Bath Rika Whitten) as I am driving along the highway, keeps me calm and in praise mode, and yes I am a Fernando Ortega groupie also. Music is good in fact excellent for the mind body and spirit and soul.

Bring on the drums, bring on the bass, Get Rhythm in your shoes dance to the Lord sing and praise. Hey even bring on the shofar listen for the trump.

Edited by Neighbor
Unable to edit to correct spelling errors. ???
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

18 hours ago, Repose said:

I am a musician, so maybe I am prejudice. Start out with hymns. Can it be wrong to listen to hymns? Move onto contemporary Christian music. Is it wrong to listen to that? What about music that carries harmless messages?

Certainly, music that carries sinful messages shouldn't be listened to. I have no problem with other music.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

18 hours ago, Repose said:

I am an old headbanger from the 70s when I started listening to KISS, Meatloaf, Black Sabbath and a dozen other heavy metal bands.  I then found Rush and Pink Floyd and Yes and a more mellow version of rock.  I still listen to them today.   But also like some mellow music like Chicago, ELO and the like. 

All good music that I listen to depending upon my mood or my activity. 

I used to listen to the Christian music station, but there is just no variety, it all sounds the same after a while.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

Music is so subjective. I think we all know we should avoid songs with raunchy themes, and full of cursing. I like old Gospel hymns and I do listen to some secular music that has truthful messages.

I listened to “Family Reunion” by the Ojays the other day. Such an amazing song and then his dialogue about the family structure at the end was great.  I don’t like Christian hip hop but I know many Christians do. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

I've got a pretty extensive library of music in several listenable formats. And it covers a wide range of styles, going far back into the classics of the baroque era to fairly recent. Variety is most appealing, and it's easy to get involved with a particular category for a while, and stray into another. If there's lyrics, and the message goes against my faith however, the line gets drawn then and there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

On 8/16/2019 at 11:28 AM, Repose said:

As a born again Christian a person should be careful of the lyrics of the music they are listening to. Some of the secular music can be very worldly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

I enjoy certain hymns and I enjoy the Praise Music, which I listen to when I'm not listening to Bible Study, ...but, I also enjoy BB, Clapton, Albert Collins, Albert King, ...the blues, I tune out the words and just let the music move my body, ...like BB said, "You can't be blue while listening to the blues!"

I've heard some same secular music is of the devil, or the tool of the devil, probably is, ...he can use it however he wants, ...but the devil didn't create music, my Father did, ...and He can use it however He wants to, too.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

I enjoy the classics from the first half of the 20th century.  The romantics, Spanish rhythms, like Lecuona, Russian composers: Smetana, Rimsky-Korsekov, Rachmaninoff, and Tchaikovsky, and some of the weirder stuff like Peter and the Wolf or Lt.Kiev. by Prokofiev.  Also like Gershwin's jazz symphonies and Puccini's operas.  Do love hymns and many contemporary worship song.   Also like Christian hard rock.