• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

14 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

Thank you. I tend to paraphrase a lot.

John 12:3-7 Then Mary took a pound of very costly oil of spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil. But one of His disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, who would betray Him, said, “Why was this fragrant oil not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?” This he said, not that he cared for the poor, but because he was a thief, and had the money box; and he used to take what was put in it. But Jesus said, “Let her alone; she has kept this for the day of My burial."

2 Corinthians 9:7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart

Romans 14:4 Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand

1 Timothy 4:16 Take heed to yourself

Romans 12:3 For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith

Philippians 2:12 work out your own salvation with fear and trembling

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

I personally enjoy each and every  blessing of God.
       I do not succumb to imposed guilt. 
                   I am at peace.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,563
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

18 hours ago, unworthyservant said:

WWJS?

I'll ask Him at the nineteenth. :)

--------------------

As for giving to whatever, I much prefer to follow the adage, do not let the left hand know what the right hand is  doing.

It is far more fun not putting a cap upon what is shared, and instead be a joyful giver rather than  a calculator of what will might satisfy a Pharisee's eye.

The Pharisee will only find fault regardless, as that is what a Pharisee does.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

13 hours ago, unworthyservant said:

You ask a question about what God does approve of us spending money on. I have mentioned that Christ only told us one thing to spend it on. He said it time after time but it was always generally the same, spend it on the poor, the needy and the less fortunate. I believe that God gives us financial gains to test our faith. To see whether we'll spend it for the treasures of this world or for His glory by giving it to the poor. So, it's more like where your heart is, there should be where your money goes. Christ said "You cannot serve God and mammon."

So, if you want a specific answer to what God "approves" of us spending it on, while I'm not worthy to speak specifically or make lists for God, I'll say generally, anything that is necessary to live in this world, without chasing it's pleasures and treasures. So, God knows that we need food, clothing and shelter and some of the modern conveniences that are necessary like electric, etc. and while God may allow for things like laptops, phones and internet, since in this age they can be used for His service, I think He would frown on spending money on pleasures like pro sports and betting (which was the subject) while children are starving right in front of your eyes.

As for whats the max you could or should spend on pants and shirts, I guess that would vary depending on your locale and prices there as well as what type of clothing, etc you NEED for whatever your work. All I can say is that short sleeve shirts recently raised from $2 to $3 at my local Goodwill store and I can buy pretty good jeans locally for around $10. That's all I need so I can only speak for myself.

And as for food like rice and beans, while I love rice and beans, I like other stuff, too.  I think that as long as a person isn't spending extravagantly on their gastric delights that God probably wants us to eat well so that we'll have the energy and strength to do his will.

Very well stated. I know people who have what I would call the gift of generosity. Just a truly generous heart. Even though I personally haven't spent much money towards sports in my lifetime, I definitely could be more generous to the needy. Thank you for making me think. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

17 hours ago, unworthyservant said:

You ask a question about what God does approve of us spending money on. I have mentioned that Christ only told us one thing to spend it on. He said it time after time but it was always generally the same, spend it on the poor, the needy and the less fortunate. I believe that God gives us financial gains to test our faith. To see whether we'll spend it for the treasures of this world or for His glory by giving it to the poor. So, it's more like where your heart is, there should be where your money goes. Christ said "You cannot serve God and mammon."

So, if you want a specific answer to what God "approves" of us spending it on, while I'm not worthy to speak specifically or make lists for God, I'll say generally, anything that is necessary to live in this world, without chasing it's pleasures and treasures. So, God knows that we need food, clothing and shelter and some of the modern conveniences that are necessary like electric, etc. and while God may allow for things like laptops, phones and internet, since in this age they can be used for His service, I think He would frown on spending money on pleasures like pro sports and betting (which was the subject) while children are starving right in front of your eyes.

As for whats the max you could or should spend on pants and shirts, I guess that would vary depending on your locale and prices there as well as what type of clothing, etc you NEED for whatever your work. All I can say is that short sleeve shirts recently raised from $2 to $3 at my local Goodwill store and I can buy pretty good jeans locally for around $10. That's all I need so I can only speak for myself.

And as for food like rice and beans, while I love rice and beans, I like other stuff, too.  I think that as long as a person isn't spending extravagantly on their gastric delights that God probably wants us to eat well so that we'll have the energy and strength to do his will.

Great post brother. I’m kind of conflicted on my giving to the poor in my area. We have a huge homeless population where I’m at. I try and make sure I have cash to share, but most of them are on drugs or begging for money all day.

I overheard one guy saying he was $30 away from getting an 8 ball(cocain). I stopped giving him anything. I just don’t know if I’m honoring God by giving to these same people everyday. Many of them look much stronger and healthier than me. I have not come across a hungry child. I would gladly give to feed a child in that situation. Where are you finding them? 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

6 hours ago, Neighbor said:

I'll ask Him at the nineteenth. :)

--------------------

As for giving to whatever, I much prefer to follow the adage, do not let the left hand know what the right hand is  doing.

It is far more fun not putting a cap upon what is shared, and instead be a joyful giver rather than  a calculator of what will might satisfy a Pharisee's eye.

The Pharisee will only find fault regardless, as that is what a Pharisee does.

In Matthew 6:4 Christ tells us "That thine alms may be in secret: and. thy Father which seeth in secret, himself shall reward thee openly.". So I totally agree that we shouldn't "give alms" in such a way as to call attention to our own giving but in a way so as to glorify God. So giving in secret is the best way to do that as Christ noted. 

You talk about the Pharisees and I'm not sure of your point but if you're implying that they didn't follow this teaching but made a big deal of their giving, then I agree. Otherwise I'm not sure what you are asking about the Pharisees. You say you'll ask Him at the nineteenth. I looked and assume you're referring to what the internet calls the "nineteenth hole", a reference to going to the bar after playing a game of golf. I would respectfully suggest that you've got it backwards, the nineteenth hole is too late. Ask Him first, I always say.

4 hours ago, maryjayne said:

Goodwill is a US second hand store, right? So at some point clothes were bought at a highly price, then later donated.

Someone has to buy new to provide the second hand shops - logic.

I say let the rich sinners buy new and then I'll buy second hand from the Goodwill.

1 hour ago, saved34 said:

Great post brother. I’m kind of conflicted on my giving to the poor in my area. We have a huge homeless population where I’m at. I try and make sure I have cash to share, but most of them are on drugs or begging for money all day.

I overheard one guy saying he was $30 away from getting an 8 ball(cocain). I stopped giving him anything. I just don’t know if I’m honoring God by giving to these same people everyday. Many of them look much stronger and healthier than me. I have not come across a hungry child. I would gladly give to feed a child in that situation. Where are you finding them? 

I know the feeling. I have come to the conclusion that we can never be sure what money will be used for so I suggest instead of giving money when you don't know what it will be used for go buy some blankets and white socks (so the local mission will launder them) and give them to the needy. Or if you have the means buy a bunch of burgers and pass them out. Just whatever you do, always to remember to give ALL the Glory to God. You mention feeding children in need. I happen to live in an area where there's plenty of those but I know everyone has their own situation so keep looking and praying. God WILL find a way for you and me.

Edited by unworthyservant
Spelling error
  • Thumbs Up 1