IGNORED

Acts of GOD?

Guest Evgen

Q: By Webster's Dictionary (2001,) Act of God, (law) [is] a direct, sudden, and irresistible action of natural forces such as could not reasonably have been foreseen or prevented, as a flood, hurricane, earthquake, or other natural catastrophe.

So, the question is, does it agree with the Word of GOD?

A: To some extent it does, since “natural” and “reasonably” apparently belong with the physical realm, whereas “sudden... action of natural forces such as could not reasonably have been foreseen or prevented is applicable only to unbelievers who don’t want to hear about any spiritual reasons or forces.

No disrespect to the above-named Dictionary (which, by the by, I use myself,) but the Christian mind ought to define the subject in question this way:

By the Act of GOD, His Great Creation came into being and the Harvest Law into operation therein. Therefore, any direct, sudden, and irresistible action of natural forces such as a flood, hurricane, earthquake, or another natural catastrophe, can be well foreseen as a due result of our disobedience to the LORD our GOD, and efficiently prevented only by our Right Standing with Him.

Scripture references:

Genesis 1:26; Psalms 115:16; Hosea 4:2-3; Malachi 3:9 …............. The reason why. Leviticus 26:3-12; 2Chronicles 7:14 …......................................... GOD’s Conditions.  Deuteronomy 29:26; Lamentations 5:7 ….......................................... The reason why.  Micah 5:10-15 …................................................................................... GOD’s Anger.  Galatians 6:7 …........................................................................................ Harvest Law.

(Q & A, chapter 33)

Edited by Evgen
formatting

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  772
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Content Per Day:  3.07
  • Days Won:  1

Ever since mankind fell into sin we have been under the power of nature and must bear this pain till the end of times.

2 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

Ever since mankind fell into sin we have been under the power of nature and must bear this pain till the end of times.

Nature hasn't any power. We have. Genesis 1:26-28.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  772
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Content Per Day:  3.07

18 minutes ago, Evgen said:

Nature hasn't any power. We have. Genesis 1:26-28.

Are u saying you can control the nature ?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I think God when he wants can create severe weather on us. God created a pattern for the weather to follow. A pattern that man can not control or explain exactly how it works.

8 minutes ago, messedup said:

I think God when he wants can create severe weather on us. God created a pattern for the weather to follow. A pattern that man can not control or explain exactly how it works.

I guess, He can. Yet there is one thing He cannot do, even to contradict His Word. Say, Psalms 115:16.

Another thing is, GOD is Love. Why do something severe, if we have already done that? 

His Ways I tried to understand in my post "GOD's Punishment."

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,447
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

7 hours ago, Evgen said:

Q: By Webster's Dictionary (2001,) Act of God, (law) [is] a direct, sudden, and irresistible action of natural forces such as could not reasonably have been foreseen or prevented, as a flood, hurricane, earthquake, or other natural catastrophe.

Not to nit pick; but our vernacular and common understanding of English words and meanings has dramatically changed over the last couple of centuries. When in question of word meanings and understandings of a century or more ago [i.e. the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, authors, religious writings, etc.] I see a big difference in some word meaning(s) between the modern Webster dictionaries and 1813 & 1828 Websters Dictionary. 

Judiciary and legal word meanings and definitions can and are sometimes very much different as a layman would interpret their meanings and understandings. So with modern words of present compared with past. Just my observations.

Edited by Dennis1209

38 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

I see a big difference in some word meaning(s) between the modern Webster dictionaries and 1813 & 1828 Websters Dictionary. 

Agree. I saw that when read "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte (1890) and had to consult good old disctionaries

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, Evgen said:

So, the question is, does it agree with the Word of GOD?

A: To some extent it does, since “natural” and “reasonably” apparently belong with the physical realm, whereas “sudden... action of natural forces such as could not reasonably have been foreseen or prevented is applicable only to unbelievers who don’t want to hear about any spiritual reasons or forces.

No disrespect to the above-named Dictionary (which, by the by, I use myself,) but the Christian mind ought to define the subject in question this way:

By the Act of GOD, His Great Creation came into being and the Harvest Law into operation therein. Therefore, any direct, sudden, and irresistible action of natural forces such as a flood, hurricane, earthquake, or another natural catastrophe, can be well foreseen as a due result of our disobedience to the LORD our GOD, and efficiently prevented only by our Right Standing with Him.

Scripture references:

Genesis 1:26; Psalms 115:16; Hosea 4:2-3; Malachi 3:9 …............. The reason why. Leviticus 26:3-12; 2Chronicles 7:14 …......................................... GOD’s Conditions.  Deuteronomy 29:26; Lamentations 5:7 ….......................................... The reason why.  Micah 5:10-15 …................................................................................... GOD’s Anger.  Galatians 6:7 …........................................................................................ Harvest Law.

(Q & A, chapter 33)

I'm just curious, why should the "Christian mind" define an act of God or the phrase for that manner in any way? Isn't it enough to have faith that God will handle acts of God and we should handle the acts of our own life? "Lean not unto thine own understanding". I personally believe that the more we can take on faith, the less we'll have to question and so the more time we'll have to do Gods will instead of questioning or defining His acts. "Those who rock the boat make it difficult for those who are trying to row".

Edited by unworthyservant
puncuation and speling