IGNORED

The value of silence

As i grow in faith i need talk less. I have become a much quieter person especially in church. I arrive early, sit, read my Bible and the hymn book, pray and prepare myself for communion service. I need to do this to get the full value of sunday. 

I find the noise levels however intrusive. People chatter and act like it is a social occasion. We do have refreshments after service so feel surely they can keep chit chat and news until then? I used to be the same until i realised i want and need to focus on worship. After a very busy pressured week and another beginning, it is an oasis of opportunity to devote to God. 

Even at home, my refuge is to be alone as often as possible to read and pray. 

Do others feel like this? Yhat inane gossip and talk is a huge waste of time and energy? So much of this world is meaningless nonsense. I like quiet people. I understand now those who remain silent, they are the wise ones! I actively avoid the very talkative.

After the service i search for those who i know are deep believers so that we nourish each other or those who may be struggling and in need of a listening ear and comfort. 

I do pray for more patience. I wish to be humble, never superior. I aim to be a good listener - but only when someone truly needs that comfort. Otherwise it encourages the talkative all the more! I've actually developed techniques to be off-putting so i can be left in peace. 

I just think while we chatter on and on, we cannot hear the still small voice of God whom we so need.  

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,298
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Days Won:  0

Our last pastor made a point that prior to the service the main church building should not be used for caching up, greeting people, but was for prayer and preparation for worship.

Unfortunately this no longer applies.

On a practice note, if the noise level is too distracting use the time outside the church, in your car EC to prepare yourself and arrive at church as the service is about to start.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,265
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

29 minutes ago, Who me said:

Our last pastor made a point that prior to the service the main church building should not be used for caching up, greeting people, but was for prayer and preparation for worship.

What a wise pastor.

I also enjoy the quiet time before a worship service, seeking God's presence.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

2 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

As i grow in faith i need talk less. I have become a much quieter person especially in church. I arrive early, sit, read my Bible and the hymn book, pray and prepare myself for communion service. I need to do this to get the full value of sunday. 

I find the noise levels however intrusive. People chatter and act like it is a social occasion. We do have refreshments after service so feel surely they can keep chit chat and news until then? I used to be the same until i realised i want and need to focus on worship. After a very busy pressured week and another beginning, it is an oasis of opportunity to devote to God 

Do others feel like this? Yhat inane gossip and talk is a huge waste of time and energy? So much of this world is meaningless nonsense. I like quiet people. I understand now those who remain silent, they are the wise ones! I actively avoid the very talkative.

After the service i search for those who i know are deep believers so that we nourish each other or those who may be struggling and in need of a listening ear and comfort. 

I do pray for more patience. I wish to be humble, never superior. I aim to be a good listener - but only when someone truly needs that comfort. Otherwise it encourages the talkative all the more! I've actually developed techniques to be off-putting so i can be left in peace. 

I just think while we chatter on and on, we cannot hear the still small voice of God whom we so need.  

Head phones with some cool music could help in those times.   

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,218
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  3

32 minutes ago, Who me said:

In our church , we have one hour of prayer and worship in the sanctuary BEFORE the service. In this way, when people come to church the presence of the Lord is already there.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

36 minutes ago, DJbowler said:

No disrespect, but walking into the church is preparation, The gathering at those times are for that reason.

You dont need a church.

Edited by DJbowler

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

3 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I find the noise levels however intrusive. People chatter and act like it is a social occasion. We do have refreshments after service so feel surely they can keep chit chat and news until then? I used to be the same until i realised i want and need to focus on worship. After a very busy pressured week and another beginning, it is an oasis of opportunity to devote to God. 

You and I would get along just fine, Melinda.....I am a very quiet person.....I do not like loud mouths who are always talking and have nothing to say....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.71

3 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

In the need for silence I almost didn't respond to this post. But here I am chattering along. I appreciate the times of silence and solitude and find them each morning as I begin my day. I find moments throughout the day for reflection and prayer. At church, it is a place to worship but it is also a day to serve and show love. If someone starts to gossip, I will tell them that I would prefer not discussing that particular item or person. I will rather ask questions that go back to better topics. I am blessed that at church this is something that rarely happens, most conversations are uplifting and good. But I can control what I am willing to hear. I can do this without developing techniques to put people off. I desire to be loving, kind and approachable. But people know that I will stop comments that are inappropriate. I will stop gossiping or stop those who I call "fixers". I do have an advantage being a pastor, but hope others among themselves follow this path as well. Be loving, be kind, be patient, be approachable, but do not be accepting of wrong conversation, help guide it to light. If you cannot, advise them that you will not listen to gossip, if the subject doesn't change, leave. I follow this rule both in church and out of church.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Inane things indeed. Two people could talk about patio furniture for an hour and a half. Makes me feel kind of bad for whomever listens in at the NSA. I prefer weightier topics.

There is treasure in the silence. You can only hear when you're not speaking. Gives a person time to reflect, time to think.

I've always been pretty quiet, though. My parents were concerned about me when I was a baby cause I was so quiet. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.71

2 hours ago, Repose said:

Inane things indeed. Two people could talk about patio furniture for an hour and a half. Makes me feel kind of bad for whomever listens in at the NSA. I prefer weightier topics.

There is treasure in the silence. You can only hear when you're not speaking. Gives a person time to reflect, time to think.

I've always been pretty quiet, though. My parents were concerned about me when I was a baby cause I was so quiet. 

I was a quiet baby myself.... but I grew out of it. ;)