Yeshua153

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

For over a year I have referred to saying Yeshua, rather than Jesus for a few reasons; firstly in 2Cor 11v4, it states there being another Jesus, gospel & spirit. Secondly, there are so many hispanic, S.American  & Spanish people called Jesus. Thirdly, unfortunately Jesus Christ has been a swear word for many. Fourthly, no one would have called Him Jesus 2000yrs ago, there being no J's in hebrew or greek, they would say Yeshua from the hebrew/aramaic, or Iesous, from the greek. 

So for me, Yeshua makes Him stand out from the rest, & the other Jesus. I know I don't apply the no j's theme for other names & places, but feel  it's important to address Him in this way, as being our unique Lord.

Edited by Yeshua153
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

2 minutes ago, Yeshua153 said:

For over a year I have referred to saying Yeshua, rather than Jesus for a few reasons; firstly in 1Cor 11v4, it states there being another Jesus, gospel & spirit. Secondly, there are so many hispanic, S.American  & Spanish people called Jesus. Thirdly, unfortunately Jesus Christ has been a swear word for many. Fourthly, no one would have called Him Jesus 2000yrs ago, there being no J's in hebrew or greek, they would say Yeshua from the hebrew/aramaic, or Iesous, from the greek. 

So for me, Yeshua makes Him stand out from the rest, & the other Jesus. I know I don't apply the no j's theme for other names & places, but feel  it's important to address Him in this way, as being our unique Lord.

I think you have raised some valid points.....

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,215
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  3

I also prefer the name Jeshua.

Even though the name Jeshua was very common name in bible times but only ONE was called Jeshua the Messiah ( Anointed One)

Edited by Worship Warriors

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.72

56 minutes ago, Betha said:

Today ANYONE who speaks in the name of 'Jesus' seems to gain a following. They totally ignore the warning HE gave us re MANY FALSE christs who would use HIS name.. Mat 24v4,5.  

The true Jesus/Yashua has an identity that never changes....the same yesterday, today and forever. Christianity has severed Him from His original Beginning ....the result being a splintered and confused religion.

Can't a false prophet or leader also use the name of Yeshua or Yashua to lead others astray as well? Look to the fruits as we are told in scripture. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Just now, Tigger56 said:

Can't a false prophet or leader also use the name of Yeshua or Yashua to lead others astray as well? Look to the fruits as we are told in scripture. 

No, because God's elect church are only looking for Yeshua to come in the clouds, at the 7th(last) trump 1Cor 15v52,1Thes 4v16-17, at the end of the 7yr tribulation, so should not be deceived by some man.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.72

33 minutes ago, Yeshua153 said:

No, because God's elect church are only looking for Yeshua to come in the clouds, at the 7th(last) trump 1Cor 15v52,1Thes 4v16-17, at the end of the 7yr tribulation, so should not be deceived by some man.

God's elect church?  and which one is that?  your "no" really has no basis. Are you saying that those who believe in Christ and obey him are the elect or are the elect only those who believe in the use of Yeshua, thus all who believe in and say Jesus would not be saved? Is it the name "Yeshua" that saves or is it the Son of God, who answers to other names as his understanding of language is not limited. Do you also believe that God the Father only has one name?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,215
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  3

The Name

Yeshua' (Hebrew) —> Ιησους (Greek) —> Iesus (Latin) —> Jesus (English)-Yasu (Arabic)

His full name in Hebrew: Jeshua the Messiah .Whilst the name Jeshua was a very common name, not just anyone can claim to be Jeshua the Messiah. The Anointed One. In ancient Israel King Priest and Prophet were anointed for the office they held. The Messiah will hold the anointed office of King Priest Prophet. He will come through the prophetic line of Abraham Isaac and Jacob and be a descendent of David and sit on the throne of David as king and priest

In the Hebrews mindset, the nature of the Messiah is understood to be God Himself with us.

(Isaiah 9:6 ) (Jeremiah 23:5). Daniel 7:13-14   Psalm 110

I still prefer to call him by his Hebrew name and not by his English name.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, Yeshua153 said:

For over a year I have referred to saying Yeshua, rather than Jesus for a few reasons; firstly in 1Cor 11v4, it states there being another Jesus, gospel & spirit. Secondly, there are so many hispanic, S.American  & Spanish people called Jesus. Thirdly, unfortunately Jesus Christ has been a swear word for many. Fourthly, no one would have called Him Jesus 2000yrs ago, there being no J's in hebrew or greek, they would say Yeshua from the hebrew/aramaic, or Iesous, from the greek. 

The early Greek speaking Christians used the Greek form Ιησους for the name of the Son of God.   If it was critical that Christians use some variation of the Hebrew or Aramaic name Yeshua or Yehoshuah (anglicized as Joshua), it's likely Paul would have mentioned that somewhere along the line in one of the epistles to Greek speaking believers.  If the form of the name being used by Christians was critical, Paul probably would have included some explanation in II Cor 11:4 about which variations of the name of the Son of God in different languages were acceptable.  Instead, he was talking about the context of the Gospel and most likely meant what someone was preaching *about* the Son of God being different rather than the form of the name they were using.

The early Greek speaking Christians used the Greek form of His name.   As near as I can tell, the early Syriac NT used Yeshu (a shortened form of Yeshua).  The Gothic NT (4th century translation in eastern Europe) used Iesus (more or less straight from Greek).  Going through various translations on Biblegateway on verse Matthew 1:1 shows the name of the Son of God used by Christians throughout the world.   As far as I can tell, there are two basic forms.  In some languages, Christians use a transliteration of His name from the Greek NT which is some variation of Iesus Christos.  In other languages, Christians use a transliteration of His name from Aramaic or Hebrew which is some variation of Yeshua Messiah.   For example, in Hindi, they use something like Yisu Masiya.

As a practical matter, countless solid mature faithful Christians for about two millennia and around the world have used the common transliterated form of either Iesus Christos from Greek or Yeshu Messiah from Aramaic or Hebrew in their native language.  This is the name they use in prayers.  This is the name they use to proclaim the gospel.  This is the name that miracles are done in.   This is the name they have lived and died proclaiming.   This is the name by which they've addressed their Lord and Savior.

I simply follow the example of those believers who've lived and died for their Lord and Savior.  In English, I use Jesus Christ;  in Spanish, Jesucristo; in Greek, Iesus Christos; in ASL, pointing to alternate palms of my hands; and (if my Hebrew studies progress well) eventually, Yeshua Hamashiah.  I don't believe that using a historically more accurate form in another language that I don't know is going to give me more spiritual authority or make me a better Christian.  I don't see the point in second guessing generations of believers from all around the world.

• Thumbs Up 1