Sign in to follow this  
Yeshua153

Why Yeshua & not Jesus!

The Name

Yeshua' (Hebrew) —> Ιησους (Greek) —> Iesus (Latin) —> Jesus (English)-Yasu (Arabic)

His full name in Hebrew: Jeshua the Messiah .Whilst the name Jeshua was a very common name, not just anyone can claim to be Jeshua the Messiah. The Anointed One. In ancient Israel King Priest and Prophet were anointed for the office they held. The Messiah will hold the anointed office of King Priest Prophet. He will come through the prophetic line of Abraham Isaac and Jacob and be a descendent of David and sit on the throne of David as king and priest

In the Hebrews mindset, the nature of the Messiah is understood to be God Himself with us.

(Isaiah 9:6 ) (Jeremiah 23:5). Daniel 7:13-14   Psalm 110

I still prefer to call him by his Hebrew name and not by his English name.

4 hours ago, Yeshua153 said:

For over a year I have referred to saying Yeshua, rather than Jesus for a few reasons; firstly in 1Cor 11v4, it states there being another Jesus, gospel & spirit. Secondly, there are so many hispanic, S.American  & Spanish people called Jesus. Thirdly, unfortunately Jesus Christ has been a swear word for many. Fourthly, no one would have called Him Jesus 2000yrs ago, there being no J's in hebrew or greek, they would say Yeshua from the hebrew/aramaic, or Iesous, from the greek. 

So for me, Yeshua makes Him stand out from the rest, & the other Jesus. I know I don't apply the no j's theme for other names & places, but feel  it's important to address Him in this way, as being our unique Lord.

The early Greek speaking Christians used the Greek form Ιησους for the name of the Son of God.   If it was critical that Christians use some variation of the Hebrew or Aramaic name Yeshua or Yehoshuah (anglicized as Joshua), it's likely Paul would have mentioned that somewhere along the line in one of the epistles to Greek speaking believers.  If the form of the name being used by Christians was critical, Paul probably would have included some explanation in II Cor 11:4 about which variations of the name of the Son of God in different languages were acceptable.  Instead, he was talking about the context of the Gospel and most likely meant what someone was preaching *about* the Son of God being different rather than the form of the name they were using.

The early Greek speaking Christians used the Greek form of His name.   As near as I can tell, the early Syriac NT used Yeshu (a shortened form of Yeshua).  The Gothic NT (4th century translation in eastern Europe) used Iesus (more or less straight from Greek).  Going through various translations on Biblegateway on verse Matthew 1:1 shows the name of the Son of God used by Christians throughout the world.   As far as I can tell, there are two basic forms.  In some languages, Christians use a transliteration of His name from the Greek NT which is some variation of Iesus Christos.  In other languages, Christians use a transliteration of His name from Aramaic or Hebrew which is some variation of Yeshua Messiah.   For example, in Hindi, they use something like Yisu Masiya.

As a practical matter, countless solid mature faithful Christians for about two millennia and around the world have used the common transliterated form of either Iesus Christos from Greek or Yeshu Messiah from Aramaic or Hebrew in their native language.  This is the name they use in prayers.  This is the name they use to proclaim the gospel.  This is the name that miracles are done in.   This is the name they have lived and died proclaiming.   This is the name by which they've addressed their Lord and Savior.

I simply follow the example of those believers who've lived and died for their Lord and Savior.  In English, I use Jesus Christ;  in Spanish, Jesucristo; in Greek, Iesus Christos; in ASL, pointing to alternate palms of my hands; and (if my Hebrew studies progress well) eventually, Yeshua Hamashiah.  I don't believe that using a historically more accurate form in another language that I don't know is going to give me more spiritual authority or make me a better Christian.  I don't see the point in second guessing generations of believers from all around the world.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Worship Warriors said:

The Name

Yeshua' (Hebrew) —> Ιησους (Greek) —> Iesus (Latin) —> Jesus (English)-Yasu (Arabic)

His full name in Hebrew: Jeshua the Messiah .Whilst the name Jeshua was a very common name, not just anyone can claim to be Jeshua the Messiah. The Anointed One. In ancient Israel King Priest and Prophet were anointed for the office they held. The Messiah will hold the anointed office of King Priest Prophet. He will come through the prophetic line of Abraham Isaac and Jacob and be a descendent of David and sit on the throne of David as king and priest

In the Hebrews mindset, the nature of the Messiah is understood to be God Himself with us.

(Isaiah 9:6 ) (Jeremiah 23:5). Daniel 7:13-14   Psalm 110

I still prefer to call him by his Hebrew name and not by his English name.

"I still prefer"  is a good way to be on this. If you believe that the Lord only answers to "Yeshua" then you are in a dangerous place of misunderstanding. But to simply prefer it is good, just as some simply prefer "Jesus". I know of some who feel comfortable wearing tassels on their clothing. It doesn't make them more holy, or more righteous, it is their preference. However, some in the use of tassels and in the use of "Yeshua" think upon themselves as more righteous and I am sure this is also true of some who proclaim only "Jesus", this once more is a dangerous place of misunderstanding.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Yeshua153 said:

For over a year I have referred to saying Yeshua, rather than Jesus for a few reasons; firstly in 1Cor 11v4, it states there being another Jesus, gospel & spirit. Secondly, there are so many hispanic, S.American  & Spanish people called Jesus. Thirdly, unfortunately Jesus Christ has been a swear word for many. Fourthly, no one would have called Him Jesus 2000yrs ago, there being no J's in hebrew or greek, they would say Yeshua from the hebrew/aramaic, or Iesous, from the greek. 

So for me, Yeshua makes Him stand out from the rest, & the other Jesus. I know I don't apply the no j's theme for other names & places, but feel  it's important to address Him in this way, as being our unique Lord.

ok Ive read 1 Cor 11:4 several times. I do not see where it is stated of  ANY other Jesus.

I do not see a relation with jesus and a spanish Jesus  pronounced different

God has also been a swear word for some thats on them not you

if you believe you are not a Christian ( gentile) then I agree Yeshua

Just now, messedup said:

ok Ive read 1 Cor 11:4 several times. I do not see where it is stated of  ANY other Jesus.

I do not see a relation with jesus and a spanish Jesus  pronounced different

God has also been a swear word for some thats on them not you

if you believe you are not a Christian ( gentile) then I agree Yeshua

Sorry, I have corrected, should be 2Cor11v4, whoops!

in 11 Corin 11:4 they are talking of a different gospel that differs from that of The Christ. It is happening today as well how can one choose today which gospel to follow. one says homosexuals can continue as they wish one says it is an abomination; one can not follow both. How can one choose if one gospel says that you can pray directly to God in Jesus name for forgiveness the other says you must go the the head of church for forgiveness

I am living now and not 2000 years ago so I will call Him Jesus. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

12 hours ago, Yeshua153 said:

For over a year I have referred to saying Yeshua, rather than Jesus for a few reasons; firstly in 2Cor 11v4, it states there being another Jesus, gospel & spirit. Secondly, there are so many hispanic, S.American  & Spanish people called Jesus. Thirdly, unfortunately Jesus Christ has been a swear word for many. Fourthly, no one would have called Him Jesus 2000yrs ago, there being no J's in hebrew or greek, they would say Yeshua from the hebrew/aramaic, or Iesous, from the greek. 

You make some good points and I would possibly use it but then I'd have to learn to spell it. I usually use the term Christ, which isn't referring to Him as a name but as what He is. 

16 hours ago, Yeshua153 said:

For over a year I have referred to saying Yeshua, rather than Jesus for a few reasons; firstly in 2Cor 11v4, it states there being another Jesus, gospel & spirit. Secondly, there are so many hispanic, S.American  & Spanish people called Jesus. Thirdly, unfortunately Jesus Christ has been a swear word for many. Fourthly, no one would have called Him Jesus 2000yrs ago, there being no J's in hebrew or greek, they would say Yeshua from the hebrew/aramaic, or Iesous, from the greek. 

There is just one Jesus. Maybe in other languages the name is different. That doesn't bother me.

• Thumbs Up 1

AS usual for Christians, many different opinions ! they can never agree on anything ! 

In my 40 years study i have yet to meet a Christian who uses the name JESUS have any LEANINGS toward Sabbath or 'Lord of the Sabbath'....all are staunch followers of the roman sun day presented to us by the ROMAN church. People do not seem to realise that theirs is an IMPERSONATED jesus and not the REAL one from NAZARETH .

Changing GOD's HOLY DAY/time from sabbath to sunday is their undoing and downfall unless they repent and are converted. Depriving Yashua of His rightful identity can not lead to the Kingdom of God. We are WARNED of being DECEIVED !!! Mat 24v4,5. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sign in to follow this