Water Baptism

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Can I postpone the water baptism ceremony of mine until I read the whole New Testament once and attain the spiritual maturity before being Baptized? 

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,461
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,742
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

3 minutes ago, Sainath said:

Can I postpone the water baptism ceremony of mine until I read the whole New Testament once and attain the spiritual maturity before being Baptized? 

There's no commandment describing when you need to be baptized.  :)  It's just an act of obedience and truly is a symbol of realizing that you putting to death your former self -- and being risen to new life in Him.

Romans 6:4  Therefore we were buried with Him by baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father; even so we also should walk in newness of life.

God bless,

George

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

The Ethiopian eunuch was attempting to read Izaiah when Philip was brought to him. When asked if he understood what he was reading, he replied, "How can I understand unless I have a teacher to teach me?" He heard the gospel, and believing in the name of Jesus, was baptized (presumably) that self-same day. One could say he did not have a complete understanding. He certainly didn't spend a lot of time reviewing the gospel and learning it. 

Spiritual maturity comes with experience.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

13 hours ago, Sainath said:

There might be at least two ways to look at this. Some people believe you can't go to heaven until you've been baptized. If that is the case, you might want to get baptized as soon as possible. On the other hand, other people might believe a person should get baptized when they are ready. I was baptized as an infant.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

21 hours ago, Sainath said:

Why?

In the book of Acts, we find that the custom of the early church was to baptise people on the day they became Christians! At that time, of course, there was no New Testament for them to read (because it hadn't yet been written). Reading the NT is a very good thing to do, but why put off your baptism until you have done it?

Baptism is an initiation into the way of Christ, and it's therefore done right at the beginning. Full understanding isn't required, only commitment. If you wait until you've attained "spiritual maturity", you'll be waiting far too long!

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

On 8/21/2019 at 10:33 AM, Sainath said:

May I suggest that you talk with your minister about doing a baptismal ourse, where you can look at the theology behind baptism and to tal about whether you are ready for baptism.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

On 8/21/2019 at 10:33 AM, Sainath said:

I suggest you just do it. You may mature quicker. Do not procrastinate if at all possible. Just do it, any place any anywhere you like. Do not put it off if at all possible. (That's my take anyhow.)

• Brilliant! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

There is only one way to be scripturally baptized and that is after you have been saved.  All baptized in the New Testament did so AFTER receiving the gospel and accepting Christ.  Then and only then were they baptized.

Baptism does not save you, but the Lord did command it.  It's a picture of your commitment to Christ and to follow him.  When you are put under the water, that's a sign of your being dead to self and sin and being "buried" with Christ.  When you are raised up from the water, it's a symbol of your being resurrected into a new life IN Christ.

All new believers should be baptized as that is the Bible model.  I have known a small handful of people who have water phobia or are in too bad of a physical shape to be baptized to enter the water on their own.  One young man I know was baptized in his home in the bathtub.  He was so phobic of pools, ponds, and even a baptistry that he would get sick.  He was a little person and could not swim.  So, the pastor invited a small handful of men of our church to go with him to the young man's house and bear witness and rejoice with him over his baptism in his bathtub. 

You can be baptized wherever there is water enough to do so.  My mother's church, when beginning 35 years ago, met in the pastor' home while building a church building.  Until then, they used his neighbor's swimming pool for a baptistry.  

You CAN wait to be baptized, but that is not the Bible model.

But you DON'T have to be "spiritually mature" to be baptized.  That's not what baptism is a symbol of.  It's a symbol of your being saved and committed to follow Christ always.

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 8/21/2019 at 2:33 AM, Sainath said:

You could, but this is a good time of the year for it. I was baptized twice. Once when making my public confession of Jesus as Saviour and Lord, I was 12 years old, and unlearned of God's Word. The second time as a re-dedication decades later. Both occasions were in the freezing winter temps of central California. Trust me, summer time is better. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

On 8/21/2019 at 5:33 AM, Sainath said:

Like others have said, why wait? You have met the criteria to be baptized which is faith in Christ. Spiritually you have already been baptized and placed in the body of Christ.

Now in obedience you should profess this outwardly in showing everyone that you identify with Christ in his death, burial, and resurrection.

• Thanks 1