Dennis1209

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,458
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Genesis 1:27 (KJV) So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

I suspect part of being created in the image of God is our emotional side [joy, love, hate, anger, pain, laughter, peace, happiness, etc.]. I'm constantly reminded by my wife that I have a dry sense of humor. Is humor a tangible emotion given to us, does our Lord have a sense of humor? I could be wrong but, I recall nowhere in scripture where Jesus laughed or joked, it was all serious business of the Gospel and Kingdom.

Several places in the Bible we know that the Lord laughs:

Psalm 2:4 (KJV) He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.

But what about a 'sense of humor'? Remember when the Philistines stole the ark of the Lord and what happened to them and the images they made?

1 Samuel 6:11 (KJV) And they laid the ark of the LORD upon the cart, and the coffer with the mice of gold and the images of their emerods. 1 Samuel 6:17 (KJV) And these are the golden emerods which the Philistines returned for a trespass offering unto the LORD; for Ashdod one, for Gaza one, for Askelon one, for Gath one, for Ekron one;

When you realize 'emerods' are hemorrhoids and how the Lord humbled the Philistines and made them to make images of them; is that a sense of humor? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  539
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,713
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  220
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

God must have a sense of humour .. he made us !!!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.77
  • Days Won:  21

I think God definitely has a sense of humor....if He doesn't, I might be in a mess. 

• Haha 3

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.77
  • Days Won:  21

On a serious (well sort of serious) note, Proverbs has quite a few comical verses. 

"Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife" (21:9)

"If a man loudly blesses his neighbor early in the morning, it will be taken as a curse" (27:14) (the night owl in me feels this one so much)

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion." (11:22)

Personally I feel like Jesus was well versed in sarcasm at times based upon some of His rather quick witted replies. 

• Haha 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

Dennis1209,

I've always thought that God has a sense in humor.  I've seen many pictures of the most funniest looking animals, fish, insects that live around the world. I can recall manytimes chuckling to myself when I see the faces or expressions on them.:emot-bounce: Only a great God like ours could create the vast varieties of creatures living on our planet.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

When I stand in front of a mirror naked :o, I know God has not only a sense of humor, and HE is probably laughing - ME TOO !!!

(It's all in your perspective, and your own "WICKED" sense of humor  :red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon: :t2:).

Edited by Seasoned by Grace
  • Haha 4

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  539
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,713
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  220
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

:D when I look in a mirror I see an old lady .. no idea who she is but she must be a product of a good sense of humour :24:

• Haha 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

Psalm 2:4 (KJV) He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.

While I believe that humor and laughter are good things as they can lighten our spirit in a an unenlightened world, I don't see any humor in "He that sitteth in the Heavens" laughing in derision which is defined as contempt or ridicule. Ditto, the wrath of God upon the Philistines. I'm not sure where anyone gets humor from God punishing someone with hemorrhoids or tumors (as the meaning of emerods actually was used in the broader sense (all tumors were emerods) and hemorrhoids was a more defined word that has been used when the situation warrants). 

Personally, I doubt that God needs humor as since He is omniscient, He already knows the punchline to every joke ever. I believe He gave us a sense of humor in order to help us smile and laugh occasionally. I just don't think it wise to laugh at God's wrath on the Philistines or His derision from Heaven in the Psalms.   

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

God has a sense of humor. He also created us with the ability to have a sense of humor. Each and every human on the earth is so different and has a different type of a sense of humor. I think God approves a sense of humor as long as it is not crude or inappropriate. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

GOD WROTE THIS - Proverbs 17:22 A joyful heart (FULL OF LAUGHTER) is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones -  :groan:

• Thumbs Up 2