IGNORED

Bible Study: the Strategy

Guest Evgen

Q: Preacher, does Bible Study need any special strategy or will just attentive reading do?

A: It does need a strategy. The attentive reading is presumed.

In Bible Study pay attention to two things.

First, the Spirit Meaning – Teaching – of what you read.

For instance,

A Wise man is Strong; Yea, a man of Knowledge increaseth Strength. For by Wise Counsel thou shalt make thy War: and in multitude of Counsellors there is Safety.                   (Proverbs 24:5-6)

In the above Scripture, we ought to take the Words Wise, Strong, Knowledge, Strength, Wise Counsel, and War in their spiritual meaning first. This way the multitude of Counsellors is seen as People of GOD taught by Him.

In every exposition or explanation of the Scriptures, therefore, the subject-matter is first to be considered; that is, we are first clearly to see the thing or matter spoken of in each case. When this is strictly first done, then next the words are to be brought to a due application to the thing (if the grammatical laws of the language will permit); but the things are never to be made to bend to the words... And although a knowledge of the words is prior in order; yet the Knowledge of the things is better, and the more important. (Martin Luther, The Creation: A Commentary On The First Five Chapters Of The Book Of Genesis, p.349)

Second, when it comes down to people described in the Bible, within the Spirit Meaning mentioned above, see yourself literally in every negative & erring person. That’s for better Understanding what our Blessed Lord Jesus did for you.

For Christ also once suffered for sins, the Just for the unjust, that He might bring us to GOD, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit... (1Peter 3:18)

This strategy may also help us to avoid putting forth an accusation finger in our Sermons and conversations. For indeed, we might be so much better off avoiding criticism and speaking we, rather than somebody’s name.

The last (but not the least) is, be it personal or Congregational – Implementation – that is, Obedient Following the Teaching here & now.

our Prayer, as our Work, would not avail or effect anything; but its efficacy comes from this, that it is done in accordance with His Command and Promise, so that it may well be regarded as a Sacrament, and rather as a Divine Work than as one of our own...             ...if you do a Work prompted by the Word and Promise, then you have a sure Proof that GOD is Gracious to you...  (Martin Luther, Commentary on the Sermon on the Mount, p.261)

(Christian Mind Ministry, Q & A, chapter 102)

Edited by Evgen
formatting

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Evgen,

For me, reading God’s Word should be simple. I dedicate a designated time to pray, read, study and think about what I read throughout the day and how I can apply any learnings to my life. My desire is to be led and fed by the Holy Spirit.

• Psalm 1:2, “But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.”
  • Proverbs 2:1-5, “My son, if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you, making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.”
  • Loved it! 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

1 hour ago, Evgen said:

Q: Preacher, does Bible Study need any special strategy or will just attentive reading do?

A: It does need a strategy. The attentive reading is presumed.

In Bible Study pay attention to two things.

First, the Spirit Meaning – Teaching – of what you read.

For instance,

A Wise man is Strong; Yea, a man of Knowledge increaseth Strength. For by Wise Counsel thou shalt make thy War: and in multitude of Counsellors there is Safety.                   (Proverbs 24:5-6)

In the above Scripture, we ought to take the Words Wise, Strong, Knowledge, Strength, Wise Counsel, and War in their spiritual meaning first. This way the multitude of Counsellors is seen as People of GOD taught by Him.

In every exposition or explanation of the Scriptures, therefore, the subject-matter is first to be considered; that is, we are first clearly to see the thing or matter spoken of in each case. When this is strictly first done, then next the words are to be brought to a due application to the thing (if the grammatical laws of the language will permit); but the things are never to be made to bend to the words... And although a knowledge of the words is prior in order; yet the Knowledge of the things is better, and the more important. (Martin Luther, The Creation: A Commentary On The First Five Chapters Of The Book Of Genesis, p.349)

Second, when it comes down to people described in the Bible, within the Spirit Meaning mentioned above, see yourself literally in every negative & erring person. That’s for better Understanding what our Blessed Lord Jesus did for you.

For Christ also once suffered for sins, the Just for the unjust, that He might bring us to GOD, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit... (1Peter 3:18)

This strategy may also help us to avoid putting forth an accusation finger in our Sermons and conversations. For indeed, we might be so much better off avoiding criticism and speaking we, rather than somebody’s name.

The last (but not the least) is, be it personal or Congregational – Implementation – that is, Obedient Following the Teaching here & now.

our Prayer, as our Work, would not avail or effect anything; but its efficacy comes from this, that it is done in accordance with His Command and Promise, so that it may well be regarded as a Sacrament, and rather as a Divine Work than as one of our own...             ...if you do a Work prompted by the Word and Promise, then you have a sure Proof that GOD is Gracious to you...  (Martin Luther, Commentary on the Sermon on the Mount, p.261)

(Christian Mind Ministry, Q & A, chapter 102)

I have another take on the issue. It's pretty simple, I just pray that God will lead me to wherever in His word that He wants to reveal to me and then pray that he will provide the wisdom to understand it and the strength to follow through with whatever He shows me. So, whether or not you are just beginning the study of God's word or have been at it for many years that method has worked for me for many years. Sometimes I just pray, God I don't even know where to start so I'm trusting you to show me, then I just open the Bible to a random page and sure enough there's something there that relates to my particular situation at that time.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Jesus tells us to come to Him as a little child.  We don't need to make our study time complex and difficult.  It should be a simple child-like way of seeing things that God has made clear to us in His Word.  With child-like Faith we read the word and consume the word into our lives.  For some this might mean pulling out a notebook, highlighter, markers, pens, writing and highlighting our way through the word having a Dictionary, Thesaurus and Concordance on the side.  But for others it is a little simpler to just reading and applying what is read to our every day lives.  For many it is taking 1 verse or 2 a day or a portion a day and meditating on it throughout each day.  For some it may be Journaling at the end of the day what they found when applying what they read to their life. 

Bible study is different for everyone just like study techniques in school is different for everyone.  There is truly not one single way to study the Word of God.  Each studies in whatever way works for them.  The point of it all is to learn more about our Savior and about ourselves while applying what Christ teaches us through the Word into our lives and our relationships with others.

Magnificent thing about God's creation of man (and woman) is that each is created in a unique way but all are created in His image and likeness showing the uniqueness of God Himself.  And that leads to the fact that every person will also have a unique way of learning God's word and implementing it into their lives.

TC

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,900
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

5 hours ago, Tea Cup said:

Magnificent thing about God's creation of man (and woman) is that each is created in a unique way but all are created in His image and likeness showing the uniqueness of God Himself.  And that leads to the fact that every person will also have a unique way of learning God's word and implementing it into their lives.

TC

Absolutely spot on, Tea Cup. A rigid, formalised, ritualistic, enforced reading of a set Bible passage linked to the calender year is abhorrent to some, but essential to others. The fruit speaks for itself. I like to freestyle and follow cross-references and commentaries until I'm satisfied and filled.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,243
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, Tea Cup said:

But for others it is a little simpler to just reading and applying what is read to our every day lives. 

:thumbs_up:.......

"Thy word have I hid in mine heart (
read/study/memorize), that I might not sin (application) against thee"  Psalm 119:11-16
Keep it simple... To know what to do is good. Doing it is better.

"Well done is better than well said"

11 hours ago, Tea Cup said:

We don't need to make our study time complex and difficult. 

Thank you, TC. Kindly forget my post & opinion I keep on.