Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Putting this here so it can be seen by more people.   Huge scam, many arrested in Los Angeles.   Scammers operated out of Nigeria and Los Angeles.  Eighty people charged.

I guess many people are unaware of internet scammers.   Just one case....a Japanese woman thought she was emailing a U.S. soldier in Syria.   He was a Nigerian scammer and took her for $200,000.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-08-22/fbi-takes-down-nigerian-fraudsters-in-46m-case-based-in-los-angeles?_amp=true

Edited by Debp

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

41 minutes ago, Debp said:

Putting this here so it can be seen by more people.   Huge scam, many arrested in Los Angeles.   Scammers operated out of Nigeria and Los Angeles.  Eighty people charged.

I guess many people are unaware of internet scammers.   Just one case....a Japanese woman thought she was emailing a U.S. soldier in Syria.   He was a Nigerian scammer and took her for $200,000.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-08-22/fbi-takes-down-nigerian-fraudsters-in-46m-case-based-in-los-angeles?_amp=true

I am glad they got them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Debp said:

He was a Nigerian scammer and took her for $200,000.

I don't want to seem insensitive and while it disturbs me every time I hear of such things, I can't help but wonder if the woman was a Christian. If so, I wonder if she had spent that $200,000 doing what Christ taught and used it for the poor, in the process who's to say that God might not have led her to the one that he had chosen for her and thus she would have never been vulnerable to the scam. It doesn't negate the horrible scams that are being perpetrated every day, and bravo for exposing them, it's just another angle. I'm all about all the angles. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

5 hours ago, unworthyservant said:

I don't want to seem insensitive and while it disturbs me every time I hear of such things, I can't help but wonder if the woman was a Christian. If so, I wonder if she had spent that $200,000 doing what Christ taught and used it for the poor, in the process who's to say that God might not have led her to the one that he had chosen for her and thus she would have never been vulnerable to the scam. It doesn't negate the horrible scams that are being perpetrated every day, and bravo for exposing them, it's just another angle. I'm all about all the angles. 

I don't think she was a Christian.   Most Japanese are still non-Christian.   I know a retired missionary who worked there for her lifetime.

Of course, I don't think a person needs to spend $200,000 or any sum for the Lord to lead them to someone.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, Debp said:

I don't think she was a Christian.   Most Japanese are still non-Christian.   I know a retired missionary who worked there for her lifetime.

Of course, I don't think a person needs to spend $200,000 or any sum for the Lord to lead them to someone.

, only posed a what if scenario. At any rate it would have been a better use of the money, you have to admit.