ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

After seeing this article in todays news I feel it is my duty to warn anyone who plans to come to arizona. 

DO NOT GO HIKING IN THE SUMMER IN ARIZONA.

44 kansas people went hiking at 230 pm, the worst time of day to begin a hike. 44 people tied up emergency services to be rescued. I dont care if you think oh its a dry heat no problem. It is a problem. No amount of water will save you from overheating. People can die. People have died. Fortunately not in this group. Do. Not. Go. Hiking. In. Arizona. In. The. Summer.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/hikers-from-kansas-group-rescued-at-lost-dutchman-state-park/article_6c009b56-c5be-11e9-988a-b3bdc1535227.html

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  537
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,655
  • Content Per Day:  5.01
  • Days Won:  218
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

ok:sneaking:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

DO NOT GO HIKING IN THE SUMMER IN ARIZONA

7 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

its a dry heat no problem.

Having having spent several years in Phoenix I'm convinced that man really isn't meant to live in the desert. It's somehow not right to have to shake out your shoes in the morning to be sure there's no scorpion hiding in them. And as for dry heat, it's actually worse because there's no humidity to assist in cooling your body and it gets so hot that the sweat evaporates before even having the chance to help cool your body. It also leads to quicker dehydration. And for comparison purposes, your oven is dry heat, stick your head in and see if it's not hot.

• Haha 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

17 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Do. Not. Go. Hiking. In. Arizona. In. The. Summer.

Sounds like wise advice, so I'll take it to heart. Thanks, Jade.

Yo!  

high 5 smiley.gif

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

I am also going to echo jade, Do NOT go hiking in the middle of the summer months and in the middle of the day, out in the desert. As your body tries to cool itself through sweating, not only are you losing water, but also causing an electrolytes and salt unbalance which contributes to dehydration.  Yes, your uncomfortable in states in which there is high temperatures and high humidity, but out in the desert where you have extremely high temperatures along with low humidity and direct sunlight it is deadly. Best times to go hiking is during the fall and spring months when the temperatures are not in the extremes.

It is very important to know the signs and symptoms of dehydration, heat stroke, heat exhaustion, heat cramps. A gallon of water is hardly adequate in hot weather. It’s good to track your personal water consumption need. Many sports drinks on the market effectively restore body fluids, electrolytes, and salt balance. Don’t ration your water. Water in the bottle doesn’t do you any good. It is a good idea to drink plenty of both water and electrolytes (sports drinks) available throughout the day, even if your not going hiking. Wear a wide brimmed hat or take an umbrella with you if you have to be out in direct sunlight.

I also live out in the desert and in my area, there were 137 deaths last year in the hot summer months that resulted from heat illnesses.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

my wife and I have found a good way to do that...…    first you go to the front window of your condo, and push the remote start button for your car.....   let it run for 5 minutes and if it hasn't gone into an overheat you can make that long trek from the front door, 125 feet or less to your car.....    once you get to the car make sure your phone is with you and the batteries are charged up so if it overheats or just dies you can call AAA really quick and then you can drive around in the desert for a little while keeping an eye on the temperature gage.....   and be really careful not to speed or a cop might make you get out of your car and set in the shade of a big old cactus while he searches your car for no sane non criminal would be out in the desert that time of day....

• Haha 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,276
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Having visited family in Phoenix, AZ several times, I can't understand those 44 people thinking they could hike in Summer desert heat, especially during mid-day!    It truly does feel like you are in an oven.