missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

What do you think the meaning of this verse is?

Luke 9:60

Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and preach the kingdom of God.”

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

27 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and preach the kingdom of God.”

I think that to understand the meaning requires the context of the entire discourse so here it is from the KJV

57 And it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, a certain man said unto him, Lord, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.

58 And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.

59 And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.

60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.

61 And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.

62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

The discourse begins when a man said to Jesus that he would follow Him wherever and Jesus said unto him,"Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head". Christ is reminding the fellow of the sacrifice required to serve Him. He literally had no place to lay His head. He was letting the amn know of the hardships that would come with his decision.

Then in the second incidence Christ called a person to follow Him and the person replied "Lord suffer me first to go and bury my father". That's when Christ told him "Let the dead bury the dead" and tells him that he should "preach the kingdom of God". This time Christ is telling us that preaching the Gospel takes precedent over earthly tasks, even those of burying the dead. Personally, I have a problem with folks spending $8000+ on funerals (per Alex Trebeck) while "the harvest is great and laborers few" and that money could go toward the harvest.

It's in the last scenario that Christ ties it all together. This man wanted to just go and say goodbye to his family and Christ said "No man, having put his hand to the plough and looking back is fit for the Kingdom of God". So all told what Christ is teaching is that preaching the Gospel should be so much of a priority that even what are thought to be societal niceties should never take precedence and that following Him would require sacrifice.

At least that's the way that God has revealed it to me.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

The spiritual dead can bury their own dead , but you go and preach the kingdom of God. The spiritual dead cannot preach the gospel. The disciples should not give priority to tasks what the unsaved can do do just as well as the Christians. Their principle occupation should be to the advance of preaching the gospel to the unsaved. The common things in life could be wrong if they are placed ahead of complete obedience to God. 

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Who are the dead who are to bury their own? This reference is to those who are dead to Christ.

Christ wants those who are spiritually alive to call others to a new life in Christ. 

Edited by missmuffet
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  763
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,897
  • Content Per Day:  3.09
  • Days Won:  1

If that man bury his father n after that return to seek n follow Jesus it wont be any problem for God so in this situation Jesus was merely  giving a meaningful words.

Edited by R. Hartono

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

5 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Jesus said many things just to get people to think in a lot of ways. He did mean this, however. 

Matthew 6:33 33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.  KVJ

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 2