Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,016
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,291
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Can you imagine this?   The medical assistant ran out of the room upon seeing the spider in the woman's ear!

I hate seeing spiders or bugs anywhere....now we have to watch our ears!

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/08/23/she-thought-she-had-water-her-ear-it-was-venomous-brown-recluse-spider/?outputType=amp

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Okay, really bad experience with the brown recluse spider. One morning I woke up and looking in the mirror, there was a small suspicious red dot on the bridge of my nose, and right between the eyes. It was slightly swollen, and a little painful, but it went ignored for a couple of days. I did feel some flu-like symptoms for the first 24-48 hours though. The tiny red dot wouldn't go away, and it never cleared. By the third day it was pretty obvious, and someone who worked in the Risk Management department commented that it appeared like a spider bite.

Here I thought it might have been a zit or something, and later going home, it got further inspected by using the magnified side of a hand mirror. Sure enough, two tiny puncture marks were evident. Oh dear, not good. And later on it even started to get worse on the site of my nocturnal attack. It was time to make a doctor appointment, this wasn't clearing at all. And it even started to open where the bite was apparent. The doctor asked me if I'd ever heard of a brown recluse.

Yes I had, but knew little about them. He gave me a short lecture about how common it was to be bitten during one's sleep, and the developing wound continues to become ulcerated to the point of necrosis. That's rotting flesh, folks. Very concerning. The doctor had some ointment fortunately, and gave me a few sample tubes. He mentioned the expense of it if purchased, and included instructions for  necessary applications. After a few days, the wound began to heal, but once it completely cleared, a small divot was left where the bite had been. And a small scar remains there to this day.

I've done some research about brown recluse or violin backed spiders, and they are not only elusive, few photos have been accessed to give positive indententification. They don't usually grow to the size that black widows can and do. And yet they are creepy looking, if you ever catch a rare glimpse of these arachnids. They commonly hide in wood piles, quite unlike widows, and for some unknown reason, make there way into the home. If they manage that, and they are not nice. At all. In rare cases, the venom in a recluse can even cause death. To note, the first picture above is a tarantula, the second a wolf spider. Both are not the classic variety of the common garden spider. Pretty scary never the less.   

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

On 8/23/2019 at 2:40 PM, Debp said:

Can you imagine this?   The medical assistant ran out of the room upon seeing the spider in the woman's ear!

I hate seeing spiders or bugs anywhere....now we have to watch our ears!

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/08/23/she-thought-she-had-water-her-ear-it-was-venomous-brown-recluse-spider/?outputType=amp

I have heard of that. A spider gets into the ear and runs havoc. 

• Haha 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,016
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,291
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

I heard of someone having limbs amputated due to the Brown Recluse.

• Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

2 minutes ago, Debp said:

I heard of someone having limbs amputated due to the Brown Recluse.

Knowing where I was bitten, it's difficult to imagine me without a head. 

1792248746_slaphappysmiley.gif.55cdda898c6f03919f77a3c74d1bbe1f.gif

• Haha 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, BeauJangles said:

Knowing where I was bitten, it's difficult to imagine me without a head. 

1792248746_slaphappysmiley.gif.55cdda898c6f03919f77a3c74d1bbe1f.gif

The infection could have spread to your brain and that would really have complicated things....huh?