unworthyservant

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

Literal Interpretation. I often wonder about the oxymoron that is literal interpretation. As I've stated in the past, I take the teachings of Christ literally so that the only interpretation that is necessary is some understanding of the few translation controversies. (and there really are very few legitimate ones of those from my perspective.) The dictionary definition of an oxymoron is "a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction".  Aren't literal and interpretation terms that in this context are pretty well contradictory? Misinterpretation is one of the main things that I believe has been used over and over by way too many people to lead way too many away from the actual teachings of Christ but misinterpretation is only possible if you attempt to interpret to start with. SO, isn't it so much easier to take them literally and not worry about it in the first place?

As for language interpretation, some may have noticed that I speak an English dialect. It's called Hillbilly. It does have writing so I thought I'd post a little here to see if anyone can translate. Here goes

Mr puppies! Mr not puppies! OSAR! cmpn. LIB, Mr puppies.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

32 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

As for language interpretation

I agree with your general ideas, and there is always a 'but'... However, we also need to try to think like the writers and more importantly the hearers. Too much is overlooked due to Greek or Latin being fairly medicinal that misses the poetic hyperbole of the Aramaic and Hebrew. To understand what is said is not an interpretation but rather a world view. If as 21st century technocrats we read and have stuff preached to us without any kind of understanding the vernacular and the times of the reader, we will miss much.  Yes the direct words themselves speak reams of information for all ages, but when I see some people quote against others using their 'proof-texts' out of context then it leads to misunderstandings. Unfortunately the pastor-factories churn out people that later wonder why there is nothing to say except the party line and so resort to other methods sadly. We are discouraged from thinking because it might show we are better scholars than the preacher, and that is going to go over like a lead balloon. we seem to be encouraged to check our brains in at the church door, so very little is ever discussed or examined like the Bereans did. It thus becomes often a very superficial series of misunderstood ideas in a framework that is stilted and quite alien to us in the modern day.

I'll give one small example. You have probably heard a sermon on the 'eye of the needle'. The Aramaic for 'camel' and 'camel hair twine' from a camel is the same. It is fairly coarse and very difficult to thread on a needle. Simple. A meaning embellished beyond sanity by some that do not study very much.

Study and comprehension is a necessity when reading scripture.

Edited by Justin Adams

Just now, Justin Adams said:

I agree with your general ideas, and there is always a 'but'... However, we also need to try to think like the writers and more importantly the hearers. Too much is overlooked due to Greek or Latin being fairly medicinal that misses the poetic hyperbole of the Aramaic and Hebrew. To understand what is said is not an interpretation but rather a world view. If as 21st century technocrats we read and have stuff preached to us without any kind of understanding the vernacular and the times of the reader, we will miss much.  Yes the direct words themselves speak reams of information for all ages, but when I see some people quote against others using their 'proof-texts' out of context then it leads to misunderstandings. Unfortunately the pastor-factories churn out people that later wonder why there is nothing to say except the party line and so resort to other methods sadly. We are discouraged from thinking because it might show we are better scholars than the preacher, and that is going to go over like a lead balloon. we seem to be encouraged to check our brains in at the church door, so very little is ever discussed or examined like the Bereans did.

To me it all falls under the heading of translation. Yes, you must know enough about history to understand context and yes the differences in the styles of different languages (including 17th century English) all come into play. My point is simply that much of what you read is hyperbole anyway and while I tend to look into such things on occasions when they actually affect my beliefs, in general, I find that taking the Teachings of Christ literally sure helps me avoid the pitfalls of most of it. Context is another of those issues that lend to misinterpretation and again, some knowledge of history sometimes comes in handy for context but I still think that for most folks, just taking the teachings of Christ literally might lead to clearing up many misunderstandings.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

14 hours ago, unworthyservant said:

Aren't literal and interpretation terms that in this context are pretty well contradictory?

No.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

literal interpretation is taking what is written in the proper context to whom it was written to in historical cultural setting and bringing that forward in application ...

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Neighbor said:

No.

All I'm saying is that if we take the Teachings of Christ literally we limit the interpretation possibilities. And while we must be careful to trying to understand context that we have a little knowledge, it's more for me an issue of taking Christ's teaching literally and so far in every context they haven't let me down (don't imagine they ever will)