IGNORED

Signs in the heavens, the earth, and the sea?

luigi

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

11 minutes ago, luigi said:

Luke 10:25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? 26  He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? 27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. 28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

And what is meant by "love"?

http://blog.adw.org/2010/07/going-deeper-with-the-parable-of-the-good-samaritan/

Edited by Still Alive

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,742
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  0

10 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

To love someone as yourself is to think of treating anybody as you would yourself.

To love someone as yourself is to think of treating anybody as you would yourself.

I see love as a decision and an action. And what the other person does does not affect it. On a side note, I tell young people that are planning on getting married that if they want to marry that person to devote their entire life to working to make that other person happy, great. But if they are doing it because they know that other person will make them happy, they need to not go through with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

On 8/27/2019 at 8:44 AM, luigi said:

In the Olivets, the Lord describes signs in the heavens, the earth, and the seas occurring during the end of the current age (Luke 21:25).
Men's hearts will fail them due to their perceiving that the environment is only going to get worse (Luke 21:26).
To me these signs appear like what is currently transpiring in the environment due to global warming, which is picking up speed, and according to the majority consensus will become significantly more severe.
The alternative perspective among many religious organizations is that the signs will be supernatural in nature.
So here is the question: If the current distress of nations with perplexity is due to increase as the environment continues to deteriorate as the scientific consensus claims; how then will we know the difference between any supposed supernatural signs in the heavens, the earth, and the sea, from those the scientific consensus already recognizes will occur due to mankind's destruction of the environment?

Luke 21:25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; 
26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

Remember, this was written in a time that the Earth may have already been discovered to be round (Isaiah 40:22)...

But the heavens were believed to be only slightly deeper than the immediate sky in those days...

They were thought to orbit the Earth.

Could the "signs" be simply the cosmological knowledge we now have?   

Daniel 12:4 (AV)
4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

Edited by JohnD
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

There have been many blood moons, eclipses, and in ancient times there were believed to have been near pass-bys  of Mars as the planets were still settling into their revolutions around the sun.

I think the black day (when Jesus died on the cross) recorded the world over (Mark 15:33) is about the spookiest signs in the heavens and stars

and he (Jesus) was referring to something else.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JohnD said:

Remember, this was written in a time that the Earth may have already been discovered to be round (Isaiah 40:22)...

But the heavens were believed to be only slightly deeper than the immediate sky in those days...

They were thought to orbit the Earth.

Could the "signs" be simply the cosmological knowledge we now have?   

Daniel 12:4 (AV)
4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

Good day JohnD, 

The whole bible is God's Word, and the scriptures written are not some individual's possible perception of the world of his time.

As the plagues/signs in Revelation 8 where 1/3 of earth's environment is destroyed is attributed to the love mankind has for the works his hands produce (Revelation 9:20), and is corroborated in Isaiah 2:8, where according to the context of the chapter distress throughout the world is occurring; the signs in the heavens which appear in conjunction with resulting signs on the earth and sea would then be more than cosmological signs without effect on earth and sea.

Revelation 9:20 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk: 

Isaiah 2:8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made:

25 minutes ago, JohnD said:

There have been many blood moons, eclipses, and in ancient times there were believed to have been near pass-bys  of Mars as the planets were still settling into their revolutions around the sun.

I think the black day (when Jesus died on the cross) recorded the world over (Mark 15:33) is about the spookiest signs in the heavens and stars

and he (Jesus) was referring to something else.

And with those many blood moons, eclipses, and other far off heavenly signs in the past, the earth and sea experienced no dire effects.

As for the dark day in which the Lord was crucified, it was a single day, and the sun shone again the next morning. The day of the Lord on the other hand in which the events in Isaiah 2 and Revelation 8 & 9 transpire, occur over a greater length of time than a few hours, or even days.

Good day JohnD, 

The whole bible is God's Word, and the scriptures written are not some individual's possible perception of the world of his time.

As the plagues/signs in Revelation 8 where 1/3 of earth's environment is destroyed is attributed to the love mankind has for the works his hands produce (Revelation 9:20), and is corroborated in Isaiah 2:8, where according to the context of the chapter distress throughout the world is occurring; the signs in the heavens which appear in conjunction with resulting signs on the earth and sea would then be more than cosmological signs without effect on earth and sea.

Revelation 9:20 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk: 

Isaiah 2:8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made:

I don't see the bible as "God's word". I see it as books written by men who were inspired by God. It's why there are four gospels. Each man put his personal stamp on the story. If it were "God's word", we'd only need one gospel. This is why the Book of Mormon and the Quran only have one writer. They claim to be the word of "god" handed down to this guy...

The bible is different. I was just reading Ephesians (I posted a link to a few scriptures earlier. It is a letter. Written to a church. By Paul. And there is some very good stuff in there from which we can learn, partly because he is one of the apostles - part of the foundation on which the church is built. But even he came up with some, um, interesting stuff.

E.g. http://www.michaelsheiser.com/TheNakedBible/1 Cor11 head covering testicle.pdf

Edit: I forgot to clarify - I do believe it CONTAINS the words of God. When it prefaces things with something like "And then God said" or the lettering is in red, then I think it is "the word of God."

Edited by Still Alive

16 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

I don't see the bible as "God's word". I see it as books written by men who were inspired by God. It's why there are four gospels. Each man put his personal stamp on the story. If it were "God's word", we'd only need one gospel. This is why the Book of Mormon and the Quran only have one writer. They claim to be the word of "god" handed down to this guy...

The bible is different. I was just reading Ephesians (I posted a link to a few scriptures earlier. It is a letter. Written to a church. By Paul. And there is some very good stuff in there from which we can learn, partly because he is one of the apostles - part of the foundation on which the church is built. But even he came up with some, um, interesting stuff.

E.g. http://www.michaelsheiser.com/TheNakedBible/1 Cor11 head covering testicle.pdf

Edit: I forgot to clarify - I do believe it CONTAINS the words of God. When it prefaces things with something like "And then God said" or the lettering is in red, then I think it is "the word of God."

I see the four gospels provided by the Word/Jesus, so that we cross reference the data. The four gospels also help disperse many individual's personal opinions where they cherry pick some scriptures  while omitting others.

Edited by luigi

19 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Do you remember that when the Pharisees asked Jesus about divorce, how He responded that at the time Moses gave that law (from God) to them, that it was because of their backward nature at the time (Matthew 19:3-8)?

Likewise, there are seven churches throughout the world back then, as well as in the end times, which are enlightened by the Lords seven stars/angels (Revelation 1). These seven stars provide slight modifications in their illuminating of the seven churches, otherwise only one stars standard illumination would suffice. As such, the data on women from a certain region covering their heads with a veil, would then I think apply to that particular church at that time. It could even have applied to all seven churches at that time; I don't know. I do not, however, believe that women covering their heads with a veil today is necessary; at least not in western churches.

• Thumbs Up 1