• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/29/1962

Does monogamy apply only to elders and deacons in the bible, or does it apply to all Christians? Please give scriptural support, thanks!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Deuteronomy 17:17 - "And he shall not acquire many wives for himself, lest his heart turn away, "

This was for kings, but the principal is still the same for all.

I have studied the polygamous relationships in the Bible for decades and there is not one where peace, Biblical love for husband/wife, and the one-flesh principal ordained by God occurred in full.

Look what happened to the wives and children and concubines of David.  Look what happened to King Solomon.  He BECAME an idolater.  That means he took part in the evil practices of his foreign wives.

Look at the dysfunction of Abraham's family, Hannah's family, Jacob's family, and more.

I cannot think of a solid Biblical reason why a man today would want more than one wife.  The ones we see on television and in the fundamentalist movement of LDS are all about sex and each wife gets younger and younger. 

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

It's for everyone. There's a growing trend of people engaging in polyamorous relationships or "open" relationships. As Jayne said, it's normally a sexual thing. Because of lessened social stigma, people are ever more bold about their wickedness.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

Well. It's against the law to have more then one wife. Why any man would want more then one I do not know. But having an extra husband would be useful. Like one to go to work and an extra one to do house repairs that the working one never has time to do. I am joking people. No need to bet me with the Bible.?

• Haha 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

RR114,

As noted by Jayne. In every biblical account of men having multiple wives, there is conflict. 

• 1 Timothy 3:12, “Deacons must be husbands of only one wife, and good managers of their children and their own households.”
  • Deuteronomy 17:17, “And he shall not acquire many wives for himself, lest his heart turn away, nor shall he acquire for himself excessive silver and gold.”
  • Mark 10:6-9"But from the beginning of creation, God made them male and female. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother, and the two shall become one flesh; so they are no longer two, but one flesh.”
  • Matthew 19:6, “So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.”

• Thumbs Up 1