• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom Nobleseed, 

If playing them makes you react, visualise or think violently - then it will be a stumbling block for you, leading to sin. 

In the same way, anything can be a stumbling block if your motivations aren't good or if that thing corrupts your motivations. 

You'll know yourself better on this matter than anyone else in this forum. 

Love & Shalom 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, nobleseed said:

is playing violent games a sin

It would depend greatly on the way these games make you feel and think. There can be after effects as a result of this type of gaming. Here's a good response. 

50 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

If playing them makes you react, visualise or think violently - then it will be a stumbling block for you, leading to sin. 

In the same way, anything can be a stumbling block if your motivations aren't good or if that thing corrupts your motivations. 

You'll know yourself better on this matter than anyone else in this forum.  

So, what do you think, @nobleseed? I have little personal experience, but have observed a few who were very much involved with this sort of thing. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

I think it depends on your motives, and also a bit on the game itself.

I'll often put a game down if it seems to relish in violence, or it's set up in a frustrating way that makes me react in anger.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

If it’s not expressly forbidden in scripture it is not a sin. That being said, even things that are not sinful can at times not be good for us. They can be weights and entanglements.

Realistically the Bible has some horrific depictions of violence. Only they are real and not fantasy. Unless you have mental issues with separating fantasy from reality, I personally do not see an issue.

Asceticism has never made anyone more Holy. Our life in Christ is not all about don’t do this, or don’t touch that. 

Col 2:20  You died with Christ. Now the forces of the universe don't have any power over you. Why do you live as if you had to obey such rules as,

Col 2:21  "Don't handle this. Don't taste that. Don't touch this."?

Col 2:23  Obeying these rules may seem to be the smart thing to do. They appear to make you love God more and to be very humble and to have control over your body. But they don't really have any power over our desires.

Another good rule of thumb to think about is can I really do whatever I am doing to the glory of God. Maybe witness to your fellow gamers, dedicate  intercessory prayer to God on their behalf. Just ideas.

Col 3:17  And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

1Co 10:31  So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I have the right to do anything," you say--but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything"--but not everything is constructive 1 Corinthians 10:23  You need to ask yourself how is this helping me grow in Christ can I make better use of my time

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/24/1990

No, but having it replace God is idolatry and obsessing over them in ways that make you forfeit relationships with people in the real world is not wise. 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 8/28/2019 at 3:54 AM, nobleseed said:

is playing violent games a sin

If it's the violence you like, then yes, it is a sin. Being in the military is not a sin, but killing for the fun of it is, if I can use that as an analogy. 

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

On 9/1/2019 at 9:53 AM, johnthebaptist said:

If it's the violence you like, then yes, it is a sin. Being in the military is not a sin, but killing for the fun of it is, if I can use that as an analogy. 

Brother John, what exactly have you killed? Some pixels? You surely have not killed a real human. If you cannot separate fantasy from reality then I can agree that you should not play violent video games. To say it’s a sin to kill a pixelated image is a bit much. 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

3 minutes ago, saved34 said:

Brother John, what exactly have you killed? Some pixels? You surely have not killed a real human. If you cannot separate fantasy from reality then I can agree that you should not play violent video games. To say it’s a sin to kill a pixelated image is a bit much. 

I might remind you that you don't have to steal something to commit a sin. To merely covet is a sin. You don't have to touch anyone to commit adultery. All you have to do is look lustfully at someone. And I suppose if you like to fantasize committing violence, then you also are sinning.