unworthyservant

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

I recently saw a video about celebrities who were thanking God and touting their faith in public appearances such as awards shows where they are honored for their worldly accomplishments and it got me to thinking about Celebrity and the Word of God. So, since God didn't call me to preach about "Heathen Witch Doctors" (unless they become a problem for myself or anyone with whom I have contact), I'm going to get on the pulpit for a bit to talk about this disturbing phenomenon of Christians looking up to and admiring celebrities for their statements of Faith. At first I was just going to write a review there in the video section before I decided to make it into a full blown novella. That review read as follows:

"It saddens my heart every time I see worldly celebrities give the credit to God for their sinful exploits. It is a sign of the times in which we live when Christians look u16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.p to sinful celebrities who are doing the work of the devil because they thank God for their success. I only remember a couple of those on the video as I couldn't watch to the end but the two I remember have a combined net worth of $120 Million dollars. I would be much more impressed if they would thank the Lord by giving $100 Million or so of that to the poor. And one of them is famous as the co-writer of Madonna's "Justify My Love" which was banned from MTV in 1990. It just makes me wonder where are we as Christians when we find ourselves praising the testimony of someone who wrote a song that was banned from MTV."

I'm reminded of the story about when David Wilkerson (The Cross and the Switchblade) went to a Marlon LeFevre concert and went running out because he saw demons on the stage. For those not familiar with Marlon, he is the youngest of the Lefevre children from the "LeFevres" singing family who appeared on the "Gospel Singing Caravan" of the 50's and 60's and by the time that David Wikerson saw him had become a pioneer in "Christian Hard Rock" music. When I look at the shameless way these celebrities tout their Christian beliefs when their sinful lifestyle is anything but a testament of Faith, I kinda know how he must have felt. When I think of all the young children who were affected by the aforementioned filth of a video, I don't see a person who is walking with God despite what they say while they are receiving accolades for their shameless sinful and worldly successes.

As many on here have probably already noticed I like to quote the teachings of Christ from the Scriptures so here,s what Jesus said

Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

Matthew 7:

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Matthew 12

33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.

34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

Matthew 15

8.This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Matthew 19

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Matthew 23 28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

And that's just in Matthew! I'm getting tired but I hope the point is clear. While I do know that some of these celebrities do some good works, I can't see anything remotely Christian about their lives overall. I see people who have worldly fame and fortune that has been earned of men by engaging in their evil activities and I'm just flabbergasted when I see Christians admiring these people just because they profess Faith or thank God for their worldly success. It's my belief that as Christians should save our admiration for those who truly deserve it because of the way they live their lives and what they did or do to follow Christ and honor God (People like Peter, Paul and Silas, and all those who followed in their footsteps) and not waste it on someone who you only know because of their celebrity earned by doing the devil's work.

I said God didn't call me to preach on heathen witch doctors. What He called me to do was to share the Gospel to a lost and dying world. He called me to show His love at every opportunity to make someone's life a little better. And He called me to discern and expose evil everywhere I see it (especially when it's infiltrated the Church). So I'm calling this as God as leads me and I sincerely hope that it might actually open the eyes of anyone who has fallen for this fallacy. If nothing else, if there are any official members of their fan clubs, send them a note telling them you'd love to see their Faith put into action by giving a few more million to those in need. (You just never know, God does work in wonderful and mysterious ways)

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,015
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

P.S.   If others would like to see the videos, here they are.   Already been approved here at Worthy.

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/240540-short-video-about-celebrities-thanking-god-and-jesus-in-their-acceptance-speech/

The following is the other already approved video made by our young member.....this one has testimonies of five celebrities.

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/240029-does-somebody-know-some-christian-female-celebrities/?tab=comments#comment-3027182

Edited by Debp
Added second video
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Ye shall know them by their fruits - Many that work iniquity or are not genuine often peek through and make themselves obvious. There is nothing hidden that shall not be disclosed, nor is anything secret except to come to light.

On a side note though, due to the unpleasant conditions of Hollywood, there are likely a number of them who do hold the faith. Even outside of Hollywood, you have a number of people who believe in their hearts, but simply don't show it out of fear. 

Leave it up to God. Even in speaking about rich men, Jesus also said that with God, anything is possible.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

5 hours ago, Debp said:

P.S.   If others would like to see the videos, here they are.   Already been approved here at Worthy.

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/240540-short-video-about-celebrities-thanking-god-and-jesus-in-their-acceptance-speech/

The following is the other already approved video made by our young member.....this one has testimonies of five celebrities.

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/240029-does-somebody-know-some-christian-female-celebrities/?tab=comments#comment-3027182

I watched the video and it was great. I did not not know Chris Pratt was saved. When I heard him say thank you Jesus I felt great Joy. Then to hear Shawn Michaels say the precious name of Jesus I literally couldn’t stop weeping. I know Shawn has been through a ton, but to see him giving Christ the glory is awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

Hi unworthyservant,

6 hours ago, unworthyservant said:

I'm just flabbergasted when I see Christians admiring these people just because they profess Faith

I agree that's strange. Professing faith should be a given.

He called me to show His love

Do it. :D

Now here I disagree:

sinful celebrities who are doing the work of the devil [...]

their sinful lifestyle

In my opinion, you can't judge a movie just for reveiling too much uncovered skin. Sometimes this is integrated into an artistic concept. It's culture also. I'm not saying any movie is arts. But it can happen to be arts, in my opinion.

Just being famous is not a sin. Being beautiful is not a sin either. Working in the entertainment sector? Isn't sinful either. Being rich in and of itself isn't sinful either, in my opinion.

America is very strong in good entertainment. :thumbsup:Sometimes it is real arts that they're doing.

Let me cite a fellow poster:

2 hours ago, Repose said:

Leave it up to God.

Amen.

Thomas

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667

Hi Unworthyservant,

Keep in mind that celebrities are sinners like all of us. Who is to know the state of anyone's heart.  I know I've made some assumptions about people that were completely off base. My learning is that God is wise when he says. 

•  John 8:15-16, “You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one.  Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me.”

Once in church I was sitting next to and speaking to a really nice woman, and assumed she was a Christian. I was surprised later when at the end of the service our pastor asked who would like to accept Jesus and she stood up.  I bring this up as an example that I was judging her based on her appearance and manner, obviously I didn't know her heart like God does. 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.78
  • Days Won:  21

6 hours ago, Debp said:

Also, you probably don't realize it, but some of these actors never do a dirty movie.

About them giving to the poor, etc (you didn't think they do that)....well, our works of charity should be private.    Most don't want to blab about their giving.   Actually, I know someone who runs a big pro-life organization....I learned from them that Jim Caviezel and Patricia Heaton are big supporters of their pro-life group.    Another Christian celebrity gave $250,000 for hurricane relief.

Although many in Hollywood and the music field are not Christians.....there are some Christians, especially in Country music.   So why don't we support them when they want to give glory to God?    Isn't that a very good thing?   I think it is.

I agree with you Deb - many have shown their faith through their works and actions indeed. Some may state it and not live it but many do and I think we should support them whenever possible. Christianity doesn't have a strong place in Hollywood so if we can support the few who stand up and still claim Christ in the face of the ongoing opposition then we should. Just my 2 cents. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

I like to see it when a person thanks God. After all who gave that person their talent? 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645

1 hour ago, thomas t said:

In my opinion, you can't judge a movie just for reveiling too much uncovered skin. Sometimes this is integrated into an artistic concept. It's culture also. I'm not saying any movie is arts. But it can happen to be arts, in my opinion.

Just being famous is not a sin. Being beautiful is not a sin either. Working in the entertainment sector? Isn't sinful either. Being rich in and of itself isn't sinful either, in my opinion.

I can't judge anyone for anything! That is reserved for the judge (God) all I can do is point out the sinful nature of their actions such as "a little too much skin". I know it's culture but it's a sinful culture and so we should be evangelizing and trying to get them to the Light that is our Lord Jesus Christ and stop this nonsense of admiring them and holding them up as pillars of Faith. Remember, we are called to a higher calling! And as for whether working in the entertainment sector is or isn't sinful I'll put it this way, When I play Amazing Grace sometimes people are touched and when I play Keep on the Firing Line they are filled with the spirit and I guess in both cases you could say they were entertained but if by "entertainment sector" you're referring to the sinful Hollywood entertainment or the secular Rock and rap and R&B music that feeds the profits back to a sinful industry so many sinners can become rich then not only is it sinful but any Christian who is supporting it might think differently on that day when they meet their maker and have to explain why they were supportive of such things. Regardless of what you may think it's pretty hard to witness to someone with T&A on the screen or offensive lyrics on the stereo (that's what we called it in my day) Being famous itself is not a sin but if what you are famous for is sin that is telling don't you think!