• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,215
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  3

give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, shall they give into your bosom. For with what measure ye mete it shall be measured to you again.( Luke 6:38)

God loves a cheerful giver. I love to give to God not just the 10% but MUCH MORE AND MORE AND MORE. So grateful for all that he has done for me. 

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1,190
  • Topics Per Day:  0.69
  • Content Count:  1,742
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  0

You are, indeed, a model for rest of us in your zeal

and commitment to the Lord.

Thank you for sharing!

Blessings!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,416
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.  But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,  so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

-----

I guess that giving is nice enough; however it seems to me there is no calculating and testifying of it to others allowed nor even possible for those that  heed the encouragement and warning from our Lord and savior Jesus. I think it is not good to confuse calculated tithes and offerings with giving sacrificially especially to the poor among the church body. It is something that is just to be a part of the members of the body ,and the body does it. It is secret even to the giver/sharer.

Seems to me to calculate, to  boast, even if only done as encouragement to others to do likewise, makes the brag the only reward. It negates the glory to God.

Giving generously I think is less a lifestyle and instead more like breathing, an autonomic thing that is done by those given the heart to do all that they do to the glory of God alone. No man need see it. God knows it.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

that is true we should not sound a trumpet when we give generously,  good point made here

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

Favorite Giving Verse

Then the king said to Araunah, “No, but I will surely buy it from you for a price; nor will I offer burnt offerings to the Lord my God with that which costs me nothing.” So David bought the threshing floor and the oxen for fifty shekels of silver.

often times giving has nothing to do with money
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Yes, give anonymously when ever possible.

On 8/29/2019 at 8:27 PM, Daily verse and quote said:

“There will always be poor people in the land,

so I command you to give freely to your neighbors

and to the poor and needy in your land.”

Deuteronomy 15:11

When I give,

I give a portion of myself.

Walt Whitman

Here is another scriture

If there be among you a poor man of one of your brothers within any of your gates in your land which the LORD your God gives you, you shall not harden your heart, nor shut your hand from your poor brother:

But you shall open your hand wide to him, and shall surely lend him sufficient for his need, in that which he wants.

Beware that there be not a thought in your wicked heart, saying, The seventh year, the year of release, is at hand ( the release of all debts); and your eye be evil against your poor brother, and you give him nothing; and he cry to the LORD against you, and it be sin to you.

(Deuteronomy 15:7-9)

The LORD wants his grace to touch every part of our lives so that we will reflect the generosity of God when we give: the heart - don’t be grieved when you give but give cheerfully. God loves a prompt to do it giver whose heart is in his giving. The hand- the hand is a symbol of control. Give freely with an open hand without a spirit of control over it. You can give but if you have not given with an open hand you still have a spirit of control over it. The eye- don’t have an evil eye because the poor brother can’t repay you. Proverbs19:17- He that has pity on the poor lends to the LORD; and that which he has given will he pay him again. Psalm 41:1 blessed is he that considers the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble.

The heart the hand the eye: how we need to seek his grace to purify the motives of our heart, our hands our eyes so that our whole being will reflect the generosity of God when we give.

18 hours ago, shortangel said:

that is true we should not sound a trumpet when we give generously,  good point made here

Take heed that you do not your alms (charitable giving) before men, to be seen of them: otherwise you have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

Therefore when you do your alms, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward.

But when you do alms, let not your left hand know what your right hand does: That your alms may be in secret: and your Father which sees in secret himself shall reward you openly. Mathew 6:1-3

Jesus is not saying that our charitable giving should not be done before men. But rather that it should not be done before men in order to be seen of them. Let not your left hand knows what your right hand does is a strong proverbial expression for doing a thing secretly with no publishing of our alms deeds in order to be seen of men.

In our fallen state, we all crave for the praise of men. This is what gratifies the heart of fallen men; to be made much of for our accomplishments especially for our moral and religious accomplishment. Because of the lurking spiritual pride that is ready to pounce on us, Jesus instructs us to do our giving in the secret place so as not to be seen of men.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 8/30/2019 at 7:53 AM, Neighbor said:

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.  But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,  so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

On 8/30/2019 at 7:53 AM, Neighbor said:

Seems to me to calculate, to  boast, even if only done as encouragement to others to do likewise, makes the brag the only reward. It negates the glory to God.

I believe what God has said. If giving to someone is just to be seen by others, then
I will receive no reward for that deed. My motive was wrong.

I do not agree as you say that is wrong to share the blessings shared and learned to do as God tells us, to give.
I was taught by scripture to give, and by other mature Christians also, and inspiring examples as such. 
I do not believe they were bragging, or were prideful in doing so. More like excited.
They taught me and my wife what the bible shows us, and what He will do in return.
This is how we learn, by doing and not only by hearing.
For God so loved, He gave...........
As babes in the Lord, my wife and I decided to share a portion of a blessing from God to several of the poor we knew.
The Lord returned our small gift before we had even finished giving it. Lost reward, OK, no problem.
I have only told this one story (of ourselves) to my children and other young believers as how great is our God, and His promises are all true.
To teach, by actions.  Did we go against God's will? You decide. I never thought so.
It was such a great blessing, what our savior did for us, (and still does) and how His word, His promises are true.
Cast your bread upon the waters! I know where my blessings come from!
If I can share God's working in our lives, that gives someone confidence, and faith, and so great a blessing,
and lose a reward, that is no burden on my soul. To share God's great and mighty favor and blessings.
So I lose a reward. My motive was right. We are very private unless trying to help others to understand, that
                     You can't out give God!

"Man Sees Your Actions. God Sees Your Motives"
      This divides the hilariously from the grudgingly.

I like your descriptive insight, Neighbor:
      "Giving generously I think is like breathing"
                         It fits!