lftc

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

While researching something on the internet the other day, I happened on a blog dedicated to teaching the Torah as strictly applying to the Christian.   The writer had several years of very long posts, I only browsed a few.   The writer pointed out that most Christians believe in the 10 Commandments, but that the Law of Moses does not see a difference.  I have wondered about that over the years.

Any thoughts?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Brother, I am not sure exactly what it is you are asking as I did not quite understand your third sentence.  Could you ask it again?

• Praise God! 1

6 hours ago, Jayne said:

Brother, I am not sure exactly what it is you are asking as I did not quite understand your third sentence.  Could you ask it again?

Sorry for the lack of clarity.  The blog I was referring to observed that the Law of Moses contains more than 10 Commandments.  The blog holds that the Ten Commandments are the first 10 of many in a single system of Law, while christians appear to only  refer to 10.

I am asking for perspective on this issue, inviting people to explain if they see an issue with that, and explain why they hold the view they hold.

Thanks!

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 8/29/2019 at 6:55 AM, lftc said:

While researching something on the internet the other day, I happened on a blog dedicated to teaching the Torah as strictly applying to the Christian.   The writer had several years of very long posts, I only browsed a few.   The writer pointed out that most Christians believe in the 10 Commandments, but that the Law of Moses does not see a difference.  I have wondered about that over the years.

Any thoughts?

I don't completely understand your question but I'd like to comment. The Lord is talking to the Jews in the Old Testament, and most of us Christians do not follow all the ordinances, decrees, and statutes found there. Does that make the Old Testament valueless? No. For instance, the Lord might declare something is an abomination. Is it just an abomination for the Jews? No. If it's an abomination, it's an abomination no matter who the audience is.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

I don't completely understand your question but I'd like to comment. The Lord is talking to the Jews in the Old Testament, and most of us Christians do not follow all the ordinances, decrees, and statutes found there. Does that make the Old Testament valueless? No. For instance, the Lord might declare something is an abomination. Is it just an abomination for the Jews? No. If it's an abomination, it's an abomination no matter who the audience is.

Thanks for the response johnthebaptist.

Yes it is a very open-ended question. 

I will state your post a different way to see if I understand:  The LORD still feels the same way about things then as now.  But the Law does not still stand as Law to Christians.

Is that about right?

9 minutes ago, lftc said:

Thanks for the response johnthebaptist.

Yes it is a very open-ended question. 

I will state your post a different way to see if I understand:  The LORD still feels the same way about things then as now.  But the Law does not still stand as Law to Christians.

Is that about right?

It's hard for me to answer your question because I don't have a definition for the word "Law." If "Law" is a collection of the Lord's commandments, then it's in our best interest to obey the law, because the commandments were written for our benefit. One needs to then come up with a definition for "commandment."

If the law is a collection of ordinances, decrees, and statutes governing the behavior of the Jews, then I'd say, no, we don't have to obey the law.

But, yes, the Lord still feels the same way about things then as now.

2 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

It's hard for me to answer your question because I don't have a definition for the word "Law." If "Law" is a collection of the Lord's commandments, then it's in our best interest to obey the law, because the commandments were written for our benefit. One needs to then come up with a definition for "commandment."

If the law is a collection of ordinances, decrees, and statutes governing the behavior of the Jews, then I'd say, no, we don't have to obey the law.

But, yes, the Lord still feels the same way about things then as now.

Excellent observation - that what is meant by words is very important!

Obviously in this age of internet there are vast resources available for research, all postured as authoritative.  Overall I think this is good as it has become abundantly clear that the "heart of man is desparately wicked and deceitful above all things" and the www certainly oozes out of the heart of man.  But one can find some good items there, such as currently generally accepted meanings of words.

If you look at the various definitions of Law one sees a fairly consistent definition that I would summarize as a system of rules that IS ENFORCED through penalty.

Certainly the Law of Moses fits this definition.

Which then I take it that you stand by your assessment that we are not under the Law, as we do not have to kill our children when they curse us.  But the LORD still does not approve of children cursing their parents.
And we don't have to be killed when we don't keep the 10 commandments by walking too far on Saturday.  But the LORD still wants us to rest.

I see your point and at the high level agree with you.  I certainly don't want to face the penalties for all the commandments in law that I have failed to keep.  Not that self preservation is going to be accepted as a logical proposition for interpretation, but it is a powerful MOTIVATION to seek to understand, which journey then leads to the quest to know, really know - not just know about -  the LORD, hence my screen name lftc (LookingForTheCity whose architect and builder is God).

Thanks, again.  Good to have valid observation about definitions and your statement about where you are at related to Law.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, lftc said:

Excellent observation - that what is meant by words is very important!

Obviously in this age of internet there are vast resources available for research, all postured as authoritative.  Overall I think this is good as it has become abundantly clear that the "heart of man is desparately wicked and deceitful above all things" and the www certainly oozes out of the heart of man.  But one can find some good items there, such as currently generally accepted meanings of words.

If you look at the various definitions of Law one sees a fairly consistent definition that I would summarize as a system of rules that IS ENFORCED through penalty.

Certainly the Law of Moses fits this definition.

Which then I take it that you stand by your assessment that we are not under the Law, as we do not have to kill our children when they curse us.  But the LORD still does not approve of children cursing their parents.
And we don't have to be killed when we don't keep the 10 commandments by walking too far on Saturday.  But the LORD still wants us to rest.

I see your point and at the high level agree with you.  I certainly don't want to face the penalties for all the commandments in law that I have failed to keep.  Not that self preservation is going to be accepted as a logical proposition for interpretation, but it is a powerful MOTIVATION to seek to understand, which journey then leads to the quest to know, really know - not just know about -  the LORD, hence my screen name lftc (LookingForTheCity whose architect and builder is God).

Thanks, again.  Good to have valid observation about definitions and your statement about where you are at related to Law.

Thank you.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,825
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

With the Mosaic Law the Lord God gave Israel their own calendar....packed with religious observations...

He also gave them the priesthood, the sacrifices...and the eye against the eye rule...

We are in the new covenant...our Lord God has died for the forgiveness of our sins....he is the Lord God of the old testament...who left everything to enter our world and be born from Mary...the seed of the woman...

The Messiah...the Christ of God...the Savior the Life Giver....

We do not need the Law to be good and charitable people...and moral people...

And he gave us the fellowship of the Holy Spirit...the teacher...the counselor...the comforter....his presence in us...his peace....the eternal life....And a Heavenly Inheritance in his name. 

PS

Jesus cannot Judge you for not keeping the Sabbath because he never gave this to anyone of us....

Jesus did nit give us the Jewish Calendar...have no fear...

We have different time jones in the world...

Different sunsets....and seasons....

Thank you for your post 

You wont be a manster of bad consiense without reading the Law of Moses....

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

God gave the Law to show it can’t be kept......It was given to “ shut men’s mouths”.....it’s designed to get you to that classic “ Woe is Me” moment......It’s there to show that we need a Savior.....The Law is “ weak” in that it can not save.....The Gospel  of Grace has “Power” to save- go with the thing that can save, say “ goodbye” to the Law as the vehicle to Salvation. No need to completely disregard it though—- “ All Scripture is there for learning, correction, etc.”.  ( paraphrase)

• Thumbs Up 1