Ptsd and prayer

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Why do I have to re experience the trauma in order to get healed from it? Am I wrong? Is there something I'm misunderstanding?

• Praying! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,397
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Who's telling you that you need to do that?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I would hope you mean thinking on the trauma, and not somebody actively recreating it. Near as I know, it's for the sake of closure. If you can set it all in order, you can sort of "file it away," if that makes sense. Without it being understood or organized, it's just kind of strewn all over your desk, and interferes with other things.

I can't pretend to be a psychologist though, much less pretend like psychology is an all-knowing, unmistaken science. Pray to Jesus if you need healing, and keep in mind, many wounds take time and effort to heal.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:58 PM, RarexxRose said:

Why do I have to re experience the trauma in order to get healed from it? Am I wrong? Is there something I'm misunderstanding?

Good morning :)

I deal with PDSD. I don't know about re-experiencing it unless your talking about therapy. I went through therapy several times and it was painful to relive those moments, but I am better for it. Not perfect, but much of the time better.Now, I'll go for days or weeks without being triggered,  other times I deal with it daily. It brings me closer to God like In Paul's case. Paul prayed 3 time for God to take away a physical issue. Finally God said my grace is enough.

I have dealt with this all my life and through reading the scriptures I found God saying to me to trust in Him, and focus on Him instead of the PTSD.

James 1:2 say's, "Consider it all joy when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance, and let that endurance have it's perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. That doesn't mean your PTSD will be healed. It may mean the God is using it to grow you to where he wants you to be, so He can use you to possibly help others with PTSD, or maybe He has another plan. In God's world nothing is a surprise to God, and as in Jer. 29: 11 -14, God says he has a plan for each of us.

When I'm triggered and struggling, I praise God and thank Him, and see myself as blessed not to have something far worse to deal with.

Edited by Seasoned by Grace
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

Shrinks love labels, and that is why I steer clear of them because they cannot do the 'spiritual thing' and often confuse with Freud and Jungian approaches..

Abby is correct here, and others.

It is a never ending story for some and I know how it grabs you and will not let go sometimes.

If you are able, own it and carry it to the Lord. Just as Abby says. Later you may be called upon to come alongside others who just cannot get a handle on it either.

One day, when we cross over, our tears of sadness will be replaced with JOY UNSPEAKABLE.

Blessings.

• This is Worthy 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 8/29/2019 at 11:58 PM, RarexxRose said:

I don't know specifically what you are talking about, but I think all we need to do to heal is accept Jesus as our Savior and repent of our sin.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

I don't know specifically what you are talking about, but I think all we need to do to heal is accept Jesus as our Savior and repent of our sin.

So many Christians think that JUST RELYING ON JESUS WILL HEAL ALL YOUR PROBLEMS, which is a RAMPANT false believing and false teaching in most churches.

Obviously you haven't had to deal with PTSD. like RarexxRose and I have had to deal with for all my life because of abuse beginning at birth. Paul asked God to take away His physical problem 3 times and God's answer was "MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT".

Those of us who continually suffer with PTSD are BLESSED with it so we can help others with the same problems, and have learned to suffer with others for their sake, so they have someone to help them walk a difficult road and bring a loving understanding in their lives..

I would be more careful in making statements like yours here about things you know nothing about in the future, especially seeing your a senior member here and should know better if your a "SEASONED SAINT". A lot of people have been hurt and turned off of Christianity because of the lack of empathy when their suffering and get nothing but a put down, like their faith isn't strong enough, which is far from the truth most times. An answer like yours doesn't help people struggling to get answers that give them HOPE and a stronger faith so they can move forward.

I hope my statement here is convicting for not only you, but for others with the same simplistic and condescending opinion on how to live with something so paralyzing  emotionally at times.

All spoken in God's love and desire for us to love each other, for "We are known by the love we have for one another"-Dave

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

God doesn't give us more than we can handle.  Twice I have had amnesia concerning traumatic occurrences.  One was an auto accident in which I did not expect to survive.  In the instant I went out of control and went over the embankment I committed my family to God.  After I woke I had forgotten our youngest son was in the car till I heard him moan.  He had fallen through the window and was on a pile of tumble weeds. Bits a pieces came back to me over a year's time.  The worst part of it was, as I sat on the hospital bed combing the glass out of my hair, my hair fell out in a huge pile!  The shock did it.  I had also not remembered that my Boston Terrier had been in the car.  The policeman found him and rescued him.  Bits and pieces of the incident came back to me over a year's time.  For Years I was terrified on gravel roads should the back end of the car begin to "fish tail".  This is the point I am trying to make.  When God does it, it is hard but he brings back segments till in time you can make it into a whole story.  By that time it is no longer as terrifying and you can manage to live with it.  Reliving those things is not easy, but He shows us how to deal with things and trust that God can bring good out of them.

At the time of the accident my husband was a new Christian who had just decided to back out of being baptized.  When the hospital called saying that his wife and son had been in an accident and his wife was being help for observation, they didn't indicate that our son was alive.  As my husband drove the 10 miles to the hospital, he found himself thanking God for the time we had our 4 year old!  I don't think I could have done that as a new Christian.  It revealed that his faith was real and had a depth that only could have come from God's grace.  He was baptized two weeks later.  As a result of his example our sons also desired to follow Christ and be baptized, although we held them off a few years.  

• Loved it! 1

Willa said:

God doesn't give us more than we can handle

Quoted

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Willa, I love your post, but I seriously have to disagree with your opening statement.

I've heard this statement over and over that so many believe,  and it has become an accepted lie in the church as the truth.

All the bible is about how we are given trials we can't handle, that's why we need Christ and the HOLY SPIRIT, especially in times of over-whelming trials and heart ache. All through the bible we hear people CRY OUT TO GOD - EVEN JESUS at GETHSEMANY.

1st Peter 4:18 says, "If it is with difficulty that the righteous is saved, what will become the godless man and the sinner.

The entire bible WILLA is about how impossible and HARD TRUE Christianity is to live and endure to the end.

Without CONSTANTLY praying and relying on Christ for EVERYTHING, we have no chance to ever hear JESUS SAY, WELL DONE GOOD AND FAITHFUL CHILD.

Willa, this was spoken in great love for you in Christ-Dave:)

• This is Worthy 1

18 minutes ago, Abby-Joy said:
PTSD is a real thing.  I have experienced it as well.  I was diagnosed with PTSD only last year.  Although I have had symptoms for many years, they became more severe after my youngest son was diagnosed with glioblastoma.   Today, it is under control without the use of meds, praise God.  But I am different than most.  I was prescribed Ativan and it made my symptoms worse, so I had to find other ways to deal with it.  

I'm sorry to hear it's your struggle too, but thankful your willing to step up and support others hear with the same issue, and give them the same hope God can bring into our lives through others help and honest understanding.

I too am on medication as well, and most of the time it makes life better, but there are the "TRIGGERS" that no one but us who suffer truly understand, and at times send our lives into a tailspin, until we are able to work through it.

People without PTSD simply don't understand the " PURE HELL" our lives can turn into and how TRAPPED we feel in the complete impossibility to do anything but CRY OUT TO GOD IN THE ANGUISH AND PAIN WE SUFFER, and yet learn HIS GRACE IS SUFFICIENT, as we thank HIM and PRAISE HIM for it all, and learn to find joy in the BLINDING EMOTIONAL AND PHYSICAL PAIN - James 1: 2, "Consider it all joy when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance, and let endurance have it's perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing".

We learn to throw our entire lives at the feet of Christ and say, "NOT OUR WILL, BUT THINE BE DONE".

FOR ALL OF YOU SUFFERING WITH THIS DIBILITATING ISSUE, MY HEART IS WITH YOU - Dave

• Loved it! 1