Sign in to follow this  
Yeshua153

The origins of pagan easter

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

And if you think it's something to laugh off with a smart quip, take a trip to your local homeless shelter or soup kitchen one day and then tell me what you think.

You may not know me but I make a point to try to inject humor into many of my replies on here. So do not think for a moment that I do not care about the homeless or the poor. As you have no ideal just how I live my life.   With that said it is really none of your business or anyone else's business how one spends their money and on what. You spend your money on what You think is the right thing to do.  Then do not cast judgment onto others at how they spend theirs. Far as you know, some of that 18 billion dollars spent on clothing could have very well gone to someone in need of cloths.   After all. Romans 14:4 says,  Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

Edited by LadyKay
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Well I don't spend that much on clothes!:blink: 

If you did, I’d be yer bestest friend and hittin’ you up for some moolahs! :D  J/k! lol:laugh:
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, unworthyservant said:

I was waiting til after Christmas to get to this subject but now that someone has brought it up, I'm going to bet that everyone already knows my opinion, but here goes again anyway. While I'm all about celebrating the Resurrection of Christ, I have a big problem with the 18 Billion dollars spent each year on new clothes to wear to church (has anyone noticed that in the Old Testament when a person was going to God to repent it's often in sackcloth and ashes not a brand new suit or dress), Easter Bunnies, candy and big feasts for themselves. I always say there's nothing wrong with a good meal just as long as you are also seeing that every poor person around can share in it. One thing I do know (by way of simple math) is that 18 Billion dollars could feed and clothe and house a bunch of poor people. (And BTW, yes, many of the traditions, just as with Christmas, have origins in Pagan practices or were developed to try and interest a pagan audience). Thanks and God Bless

Yeah, we get that you don't like Christians spending money on anything other than what you deem to be essential.

Do you have to drag it into every thread and ram it down our throats?

(I may be a tad tetchy about this)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, unworthyservant said:

Didn't mean to say you or anyone else did. But the $18 Billion number was the total spent by Americans last Easter and I don't think it deserving of a smart quip when millions upon millions are starving while you spend whatever your part of that total on whatever you spend it on unless it's for doing Gods will to honor the Resurrection of His Son who was sacrificed for you and me. And if you think it's something to laugh off with a smart quip, take a trip to your local homeless shelter or soup kitchen one day and then tell me what you think.

Would that have anything to do with the change in season and people needing new clothes then, especially growing children?

I used to work at a food bank. People buying new clothes was bonanza time for the poor, who got their old ones for free.

Meanwhile, back on topic - I don't celebrate pagan Easter. I celebrate Christian Easter and focus on Jesus love and sacrifice. Nothing wrong with that.

And before anyone adds that I should do that every day, Easter gives a space on the calendar for deeper prayer, worship and study for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

You may not know me but I make a point to try to inject humor into many of my replies on here. So do not think for a moment that I do not care about the homeless or the poor. As you have no ideal just how I live my life.   With that said it is really none of your business or anyone else's business how one spends their money and on what. You spend your money on what You think is the right thing to do.  Then do not cast judgment onto others at how they spend theirs. Far as you know, some of that 18 billion dollars spent on clothing could have very well gone to someone in need of cloths.   After all. Romans 14:4 says,  Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

I cast no judgement, I simply state the facts and give my opinion of them. Have I ever judged a person? If so, I'll ask God to forgive me as I have no right to judge a person. On the other hand pointing out what Christ said to do with our money isn't judging a person but rather showing the actions in the light of Christ's teaching so that everyone can make their own decision between themselves and God. Isn't it prudent to consider as many angles as possible and in the end ask yourself, what would Christ recommend that I do with my money or what would God have me to do?  In the end it matters not one bit what I or anyone else thinks except that. All I'm doing is trying to bring to light what Christ taught and the disconnect between that and how we honor His resurrection by doing many things that are actually contrary to those teachings as God has revealed them to me, so while I make no apologies for speaking what God has laid on my heart, I always say don't take my word for anything (after all I'm only human like the rest of us) but take everything to God and do as He leads you. I can only point out the truths as God has revealed them to me and if the shoe fits wear it. If not then it must not be meant for you. Someone once said, "When I preach the Word of God it's always going to step on a lot of toes and it's always those who holler the loudest for whom the teaching was probably meant". Shakespeare said "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" and while I don't usually point to Shakespeare as any bastion of Christian thought, there are some universal truths in this world.

2 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

I cast no judgement, I simply state the facts and give my opinion of them. Have I ever judged a person? If so, I'll ask God to forgive me as I have no right to judge a person. On the other hand pointing out what Christ said to do with our money isn't judging a person but rather showing the actions in the light of Christ's teaching so that everyone can make their own decision between themselves and God. Isn't it prudent to consider as many angles as possible and in the end ask yourself, what would Christ recommend that I do with my money or what would God have me to do?  In the end it matters not one bit what I or anyone else thinks except that. All I'm doing is trying to bring to light what Christ taught and the disconnect between that and how we honor His resurrection by doing many things that are actually contrary to those teachings as God has revealed them to me, so while I make no apologies for speaking what God has laid on my heart, I always say don't take my word for anything (after all I'm only human like the rest of us) but take everything to God and do as He leads you. I can only point out the truths as God has revealed them to me and if the shoe fits wear it. If not then it must not be meant for you. Someone once said, "When I preach the Word of God it's always going to step on a lot of toes and it's always those who holler the loudest for whom the teaching was probably meant". Shakespeare said "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" and while I don't usually point to Shakespeare as any bastion of Christian thought, there are some universal truths in this world.

You keep saying you cast no judgement. Several now have asked you to stop judgeing. Maybe wise for you to think about that.

People are protesting your words not because you strike a chord, but because you are judging.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, unworthyservant said:

I would have just let this all go if you had not accuse me of making fun of  homeless. And you did judge. You judged everyone who buys a new dress for Easter Sunday of not using their money as you think they should.  

"When I preach the Word of God it's always going to step on a lot of toes and it's always those who holler the loudest for whom the teaching was probably meant"

I can say in all honesty that I am not spending 18 billion dollars a year on cloths. Truth be known I mostly shop at Goodwill. Sometimes I might be seen in a Wal Mart. 

Edited by LadyKay
  • Brilliant! 1

11 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

Yeah, we get that you don't like Christians spending money on anything other than what you deem to be essential.

Do you have to drag it into every thread and ram it down our throats?

(I may be a tad tetchy about this)

Once more, it has nothing to do with what I deem to be essential and as I always say, don't ever take my word for anything but take whatever I (or anyone else for that matter) has to say and take it to the Lord in prayer and do what He leads you to do with your money or your life. My last reply has enough on that subject that I'll not belabor the point here but YES I do bring up the things that God has laid on my heart at every opportunity so that means every time there's a discussion about the way we turn any celebration of Christ (mainly Christmas and Easter) into a retail bonanza buying a bunch of stuff for ourselves and call that honoring the occasion, I'm going to state what Christ taught about the use of our funds. I'm sure I'd step on a lot less toes if I preached hellfire and brimstone at gays or Heathen Witch Doctors but that's not what God has called me to do. He has called me to call out sinful practices within the church (at least for now) so that's what I'll do and trust in Faith that no matter how many are offended, as long as I speak the truth as God has revealed it to me, then some good will come from it in the end.

Sign in to follow this