IGNORED

What commandments were broken in the story of the woman caught in adultery?

lftc

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,460
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

14 hours ago, Worship Warriors said:

Under Jewish law you cannot be a witness in a case if you have committed the same crime. Jesus is quoting from Jewish law: let him who is without sin cast the first stone. All of us have yielded to the spirit of adultery at one point or another in its seed form. Looking at sexual scene on TV and taking pleasure in it stirs up lust in your heart. This is the natural bent of our carnal nature. We are all guilty and not one of us can point the finger.

Then under the Torah, you have to have 2 or 3 witness. Since they have ALL yielded to the spirit of adultery, there was no witness, the case was dismissed. Jesus could not condemn the women but he did tell her to go and sin no more.

John 8:6 (KJV) This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

This seems to be the rebuke to their allegations first that disarmed them? I've wondered what Jesus wrote in the dirt? Perhaps a reminder of their own recent personal sin?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

18 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

John 8:6 (KJV) This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

This seems to be the rebuke to their allegations first that disarmed them? I've wondered what Jesus wrote in the dirt? Perhaps a reminder of their own recent personal sin?

Many have thought this, and it could very well be possible. I would be interested in knowing what things or words perhaps that Jesus was writing. The real clincher were His words to those armed with stones. 

John 8:7 7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.  KJV

Edited by BeauJangles

35 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Many have thought this, and it could very well be possible. I would be interested in knowing what things or words perhaps that Jesus was writing. The real clincher were His words to those armed with stones. 

John 8:7 7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.  KJV

Exactly! But before Jesus spoke, he wrote something in the dirt. We're not told what but, have an idea that would make sense?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

4 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Exactly! But before Jesus spoke, he wrote something in the dirt. We're not told what but, have an idea that would make sense?

Quite a few. Here's an example: 

1. liar

2. thief

3. glutton

4. drunkard

5. blasphemer

6. murderer

7. prideful

8. idoliter 

9. adulterer 

The possibilities are numerous.

1 minute ago, BeauJangles said:

1. liar

2. thief

3. glutton

4. drunkard

5. blasphemer

6. murderer

7. prideful

8. idoliter 

9. adulterer 

There you go again, thinking of my thoughts  :D

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98

How 'bout what this Scriptures tells us:

O LORD, the hope of Israel, all that forsake thee shall be ashamed, and they that depart from me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living waters.  Jer 17:13

Lord bless

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  157
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

NONE...AS JESUS FORGAVE HER,,HE WILL ALSO FORGIVE YOU!!!

Edited by DAVID5

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

18 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Yes, it is intriguing to imagine what he wrote.  And the LORD may lead or allow each to believe something about what was written to help get one past some obstacle to his goal in one's life.

I personally believe that the scriptures are inspired and carefully designed by the LORD.  So he left out what was written in the sand.  If that was his design, then it brings one to ponder why he left something that would be so crucial to the story ... unless it is not crucial to the story.  That is part of what took me on this journey of trying to understand the Laws involved.

The first part of v6, that you quoted above, is a more significant part of the puzzle: "This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him"  .  To quote the verse from the work of other translators "They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him." .  Assuming the various translators world-views were close enough to use, I see in this verse a crucial piece to understanding why the LORD recorded this event for us to ponder: What was the trap?  That is why I was asking about the Laws involved as their accusation would need to be based on Law.  It would be useless for them to say to the people "Look, Jesus is too nice" - that kind of an accusation would not help them towards their recently decided goal to destroy Jesus.  They needed the power of Law, which is , by definition, rules that carry penalty.

But I completely agree with you that it is very intriguing - what did Jesus write?  Unfortunately, for a definitive anwer, I will have to wait until I get to that City that has foundations.  I wonder if I will even care about that anymore - we have been told that what awaits is far beyond our imagination.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

1. liar

2. thief

3. glutton

4. drunkard

5. blasphemer

6. murderer

7. prideful

8. idoliter 

9. adulterer 

Yes, if he was writing sins, you are correct - the possibilities are numerous.  There are at least 613 of them.  But we were purposely not told what he wrote.  I could think of the things he could write in front of me - he would need a whole field, unless he just summarized with a question mark. 

Again, we are not told what he wrote in the authorized account (scripture), but it is interesting to ponder.  Maybe he wrote just the Deut passage about 2 OR 3 witnesses and purging the evil of convicting without 2 OR 3 witnesses.  That might make the elders leave first.

15 hours ago, DAVID5 said:

NONE...AS JESUS FORGAVE HER,,HE WILL ALSO FORGIVE YOU!!!

I take unexpressible Hope because of Jesus and what he finished for me.  At least when I have the faith to believe it.  So I thank God for your post that reminds us all of that foundational truth - Jesus paid for sins "not of ours only, but of the whole world".