• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Renewing the Mind.

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalted itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 2 Corinthians 10:5

Wow, bringing every thought, is that even possible. I wish to throw out a hypothesis of mine. As I see it, we have a present conscious that we live in moment by moment, and a self-conscious that is a mystery. The sub-conscious mind has its roots in the past (old man) it triggers responses that we may or may not be aware of. Have you ever awoken from a sleep with a song in your head that sometimes sets the mood for the day (secular or Christian)? I was a drug addict and we called some of these thought stinking thinking or triggers.

In short this has been my thoughts on this. Romans 12:2

“And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

This is one of the first verse I memorized (some 44 years ago) I believe there is an intellectual understanding of the Word and a transforming understanding of the Word the latter is transforming, reaches the subconscious. It changes the heart which changes the will but is every thought even possible? I have much thought on this but what are thought of others?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

The only way to replace the error of the world’s way of thinking is to replace it with God’s truth, and the only infallible source of God’s truth is His revealed Word, the Bible

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

32 minutes ago, theologyofone said:

Renewing the Mind.

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalted itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 2 Corinthians 10:5

“And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Greetings, Brother.

Language is blunt instrument.  We have concepts in our mind/soul/spirit that exist without words. When we speak we are trying to translate that concept into a series of words in our chosen language.  Our hope is that the person we are communicating with will build a concept in their mind that matches the concept we sent them.  Based on the words.  As I am doing here.

So the Apostle Paul was doing that in the verses you quote.  But the whole concept requires the whole letter in each case, and the whole understanding of what concepts Paul had been inspired by God to hold and convey.   Discovering that is a journey all on its own, but I get the feeling from your post that you are not new to the journey. 

I think if you understand Paul's Gospel (as he referred to it), these verses communicate a concept that can be accomplished as opposed to a concept of a goal that no one has ever accomplished - controlling every thought, which you accurately observed includes all the things that pop in our heads.

Jesus said "My yoke is easy and my burden is light".   He also said other things that many will jump to point out in opposition to the quote I just did.  How one understands all that is critical to one's understanding of the concept of the Gospel.

Suffice it to say that my concept of the gospel leaves me with peace about the verses you quoted.  The bad thoughts are subject to (captive) to the truth of the gospel.  At least when I have the faith to believe in Jesus words.  Proving what the will of God is, as He has carefully revealed to us.  Perfect fit.

Hope that helps.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  1

The Holy Spirit, writing through Paul, tells us we have the mind of Christ:

For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ.  1 Cor 2:16

Since we are living in a spiritual warfare 24/7 and that war is waged in our minds, the enemy loves to dig up things from our past for us to consider, think about, and/or mediate on, when that happens, at the very moment, the Holy Spirit will give us a verse that will defeat the enemy, ...it's the offensive part of our armor and we call it the Sword of the Spirit.

However, ...just like our great, great, great grandfather Adam,, ...we have a choice to make, ...take a bite or wield the Sword to defeat the temptation. When we are babes and children in Christ we usually chose to take the bite, but as we mature we begin to understand the wiles of the devil and use the Sword.

I write to you, fathers, because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I write to you, little children, because you have known the Father. 
I write to you, fathers, because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the Word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.   1 John 2:13-14  

As we walk and grow in the maturity of the Lord we understand what a great man of God once said, "I sin less, but repent more," ...I sin less, ...but I don't always live in the pure, holy, perfect mind of Christ, so I find myself repenting either right after I stumble or the last thing at night as I thank Father for a good day and the Holy Spirit reminds me of my sin. 

Here's a key as to how to be on guard for the attacks, ...it's found in 1 Corinthians:

Do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor abusers, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.  1 Cor 6:9

We all are born with one or more inbred iniquity, as listed above, in our carnal nature, ...every born again child of God can find their particular sin(s) they practiced and lived in before Christ, ...so identify what was yours and be certain the enemy knows you well, ...he was our father for how many years before we came to Christ, ...those are the fiery darts, the principle areas, thoughts of our past life, that he will thrust into our minds, ...so we can be prepared, ready to stand and withstand the attack. 

Remember, ...we are not fighting for victory, ...we are fighting from victory.

Lord bless

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, JustPassingThru said:

The Holy Spirit, writing through Paul, tells us we have the mind of Christ:

For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ.  1 Cor 2:16

Since we are living in a spiritual warfare 24/7 and that war is waged in our minds, the enemy loves to dig up things from our past for us to consider, think about, and/or mediate on, when that happens, at the very moment, the Holy Spirit will give us a verse that will defeat the enemy, ...it's the offensive part of our armor and we call it the Sword of the Spirit.

However, ...just like our great, great, great grandfather Adam,, ...we have a choice to make, ...take a bite or wield the Sword to defeat the temptation. When we are babes and children in Christ we usually chose to take the bite, but as we mature we begin to understand the wiles of the devil and use the Sword.

I write to you, fathers, because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I write to you, little children, because you have known the Father. 
I write to you, fathers, because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the Word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.   1 John 2:13-14  

As we walk and grow in the maturity of the Lord we understand what a great man of God once said, "I sin less, but repent more," ...I sin less, ...but I don't always live in the pure, holy, perfect mind of Christ, so I find myself repenting either right after I stumble or the last thing at night as I thank Father for a good day and the Holy Spirit reminds me of my sin. 

Here's a key as to how to be on guard for the attacks, ...it's found in 1 Corinthians:

Do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor abusers, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.  1 Cor 6:9

We all are born with one or more inbred iniquity, as listed above, in our carnal nature, ...every born again child of God can find their particular sin(s) they practiced and lived in before Christ, ...so identify what was yours and be certain the enemy knows you well, ...he was our father for how many years before we came to Christ, ...those are the fiery darts, the principle areas, thoughts of our past life, that he will thrust into our minds, ...so we can be prepared, ready to stand and withstand the attack. 

Remember, ...we are not fighting for victory, ...we are fighting from victory.

Lord bless

On 8/30/2019 at 3:29 PM, Behold said:

"Not being made after the law", means that Jesus was not born with an Adamic Nature

We are born after the law of the carnal commandment.

He was not.

He was created (manifested)  as God in the Flesh.....or as your scripture explains..."He who was MADE"... in the womb of a Virgin, and lived as a human, dying as a man, resurrected as a King exactly as He was before His incarnation.

When He comes again "in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who know not God and have not obeyed the Gospel", He will be the exact same Jesus who rose from the dead and was seen for 40 days before He ascended back to the right hand of God The Father.

Everything that Jesus laid down regarding His  Title status to become "one of us",  He took up again after dying for us and being resurrected.

This is why Thomas said to Jesus, upon seeing Him.   "My Lord and my God"..    "Lord and God".    as this is Who Jesus was and is in Heaven and always.   John 20:28

I like it. "As we walk and grow in the maturity of the Lord we understand what a great man of God once said, "I sin less, but repent more"

Yes we need to exercise our faith. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. Hebrews 5:14

But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness. 1 Tim 4:7

The more we exercise our faith the more it become part of our thought process. If we fail repent start over.