• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Oh, it happens!

However, when one prays in the Spirit, as Paul did constantly, in tongues, in personal prayer, there is no interpreter required, for it is not a message or encouragement to the church itself, but is for the edification of that believer only.

Hopefully, it happens alot! I don't see a day go by that I don't worship or pray in tongues at least once. I am sure the practice is just what Paul encourages us to be doing.

But is says that tongues are invalid and useless without an interpreter...so I guess we are advocating useless prayer on these boards?

Please don't be flippant. There is the ministry gift of tongues where God provides an interpreter--another gift. Then there is the grace gift, where one needs no interpreter, as it is used in prayer.

Of course it goes without saying that the ministry gift is useless without an interpreter, because this gift is used for exhortation to the congregation...messages from God Himself for all to hear.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

Hello to all.

Might be a weird question but I am concerned for the fact I have never spoken in tongues, nor felt "drunken" in the spirit.

I have heard stories from people in prayer for a long time and it happening to him. While I have had sensational prayers, it still hasnt happened.

I just want to know how and when it happened to you. Any stories, because this might be helpful for me and possibly others.

Peace.

Hi Bobo,

Perhaps speaking in tongues is not the gift that the Holy Spirit has decided to give you. 1Corinthians 12:7-11:

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

Oh, it happens!

However, when one prays in the Spirit, as Paul did constantly, in tongues, in personal prayer, there is no interpreter required, for it is not a message or encouragement to the church itself, but is for the edification of that believer only.

Hopefully, it happens alot! I don't see a day go by that I don't worship or pray in tongues at least once. I am sure the practice is just what Paul encourages us to be doing.

But is says that tongues are invalid and useless without an interpreter...so I guess we are advocating useless prayer on these boards?

actually the person who speak in tongues edifieth himself to God: 1 Corinthians 14:1-5

Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. 2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth F53 him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. 5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Oh, it happens!

Please don't be flippant. There is the ministry gift of tongues where God provides an interpreter--another gift. Then there is the grace gift, where one needs no interpreter, as it is used in prayer.

Of course it goes without saying that the ministry gift is useless without an interpreter, because this gift is used for exhortation to the congregation...messages from God Himself for all to hear.

I am not being flippant. Where in scripture does this grace gift appear?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Oh, it happens!

actually the person who speak in tongues edifieth himself to God: 1 Corinthians 14:1-5

Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. 2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth F53 him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. 5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Ok, same letter, same chapter, but verse 13-19 says tongues are overrated. Also, in verse 1-5 does not say, "an unknown" tongue, it says merely A TONGUE. Speaking in tongues is merely talking to the air.

I am not denying that tongues occurs, but I believe, and Paul would agree, that it is very rare, uncircumstantial, and based on spirit...not the emotion that most tongue-enforcers use to spread their gifts to others.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Doesnt the Bible say that speaking in tongues is for the unbelievers to hear and not the believers?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  662
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  02/01/1960

I am not denying that tongues occurs, but I believe, and Paul would agree, that it is very rare, uncircumstantial, and based on spirit...not the emotion that most tongue-enforcers use to spread their gifts to others.

The title of this thread is:

Speaking in tongues

How it happened to you?

It is not a debate thread but rather "how" it happened to you.

From what I gather you haven't so you shouldn't be posting here.

Make another thread if you don't mind in general topic.

Thanks, Karen :whistling:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Oh, it happens!

I am not being flippant. Where in scripture does this grace gift appear?

Paul admits praying in tongues frequently.

1 Corinthians 14:18

I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all;

Romans 8:26

Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

1 Corinthians 14:14

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.

Jude 1:20

But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I received the gift of tongues in college when a speaker came to my campus group and gave a sermon. After hearing the message, we interceded for the campus and he began to pray for everyone in the congregation. Someone started speaking in tongues as the Spirit moved, then another, and then another. There truly was a thick presence of glory in that room. I never received the gift that night and asked one of my friends who had received it what had happened to them. They told me that they just started praying and the words didn't make sense to them but started flowing from deep inside their belly. I prayed over it for a few days and just a had a revelation of it during, of all places, my choir rehearsal. I started speaking words from my heart that made no sense and felt a strong presence of the Holy Spirit. I can't explain it. It just happened. There have been other moments when I had a word of wisdom and knowledge for someone. That happens more often. Regardless, it helps your own personal walk with Christ. It is a private gift, other than the gift of prophecy which is very outward and encourages others.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  662
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  02/01/1960

Here is an article done scientifically on the brain during speaking in tongues..

Raiders News

http://www.raidersnewsnetwork.com/articles...TC-RSSFeeds0312