• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/15/1968

I guess those of us who speak in tongues must be from the devil or something from the opinions of a few around here. :whistling:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gladiator4God
I had been praying and asking for tongues for 11 yrs.  One morning service I was in church during praise and worship at the age of 26 and what I heard surprised me.  I was praising God speaking in tongues.  I couldn't believe it, and was almost in shock over it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i can witness to this , as she had a death grip on the back of my neck when she started doing it! I have never spoken in tounges but believe in it very much

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

I guess those of us who speak in tongues must be from the devil or something from the opinions of a few around here.  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Boy isn't that the truth! I got into with a prominent non-believer in tongues in chat one night! I simply don't understand why people can't agree to disagree!

• Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1

Sadly, again as before, our dear charismatic folk underscore PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: ie, I did it so it must be right! Wrong! "Personal experience" is not the determining factor re "speaking in a heavenly gibberish." The main query has to be BIBLICAL TRUTH, not charismatic experience.

Let's cut thru the smoke & mirrors of the kind charismatic folk -

1. The Bible NOWHERE in 1 Corinthians speaks about an "unknown" tongue or language. Yet kind charismatic folk continue to insert "unknown" in all their postings, why? Why don't charismatics respond to this specific, undeniable Bible fact re the word "unknown"? At least start by admitting the word "unknown" doesn't appear in 1 Corinthians. And that's a powerful admission, yes?

2. Kind charismatic folk continue to talk in terms of "personal experience" re a "heavenly gibberish." ie, "I did it, so therefore it MUST be true!' The criterion for all biblical knowledge & understanding remains, WHAT SAITH THE SCRIPTURE?

3. Kind charismatic folk continue to gloss over the biblical fact that ANGELS - whenever they spoke in Holy Scripture - ALWAYS SPOKE IN A KNOWN, EARTHLY LANGUAGE UNDERSTOOD BY THE HEARERS! Even ANGELS decried a "heavenly gibberish" and a "divine mumbo-jumbo" for a KNOWN language! Why don't charismatics deal with ANGELS & their always ministering in KNOWN languages?

Now I'm off to Starbucks for a maple macchiato or maple latte combined with caramelly sweet expresso roast & steamed milk topped with, yes, maple lacing. But I will forego the maple walnut coffeecake!

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/21/1948

Sadly, again as before, our dear charismatic folk underscore PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: ie, I did it so it must be right! Wrong! "Personal experience" is not the determining factor re "speaking in a heavenly gibberish." The main query has to be BIBLICAL TRUTH, not charismatic experience.

Let's cut thru the smoke & mirrors of the kind charismatic folk -

1. The Bible NOWHERE in 1 Corinthians speaks about an "unknown" tongue or language. Yet kind charismatic folk continue to insert "unknown" in all their postings, why? Why don't charismatics respond to this specific, undeniable Bible fact re the word "unknown"? At least start by admitting the word "unknown" doesn't appear in 1 Corinthians. And that's a powerful admission, yes?

2. Kind charismatic folk continue to talk in terms of "personal experience" re a "heavenly gibberish." ie, "I did it, so therefore it MUST be true!' The criterion for all biblical knowledge & understanding remains, WHAT SAITH THE SCRIPTURE?

3. Kind charismatic folk continue to gloss over the biblical fact that ANGELS -

whenever they spoke in Holy Scripture - ALWAYS SPOKE IN A KNOWN, EARTHLY

LANGUAGE UNDERSTOOD BY THE HEARERS! Even ANGELS decried a "heavenly gibberish" and a "divine mumbo-jumbo" for a KNOWN language! Why don't charismatics deal with ANGELS & their always ministering in KNOWN languages?

Now I'm off to Starbucks for a maple macchiato or maple latte combined with caramelly sweet expresso roast & steamed milk topped with, yes, maple lacing. But I will forego the maple walnut coffeecake!

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You continue to totally ignore these verses, among others,though I have repeatedly pointed them out for months on end.

These are direct cut and past from the KJV...

1 Corinthians 14:2 - For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

There is no requirement that any bystander understand or even recognize the "tongue" that is actually spoken. Hence the need for two seperate gifts related to tongues, which must workd in tandem when the Lord uses someone in this way to deliver truth. But there is no requirement that the person is speaking at all to a bystander either, they could just be praying to, or otherwise worshipping the Lord.

1 Corinthians 14:14 - For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

Paul didn't understand his own "tongue".

1 Corinthians 14:15 - What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Now Paul is contrasting "Praying and singing in the Spirit" with "praying and singing with understanding". The conjunction "And", coupled with the word "Also" proves that he is contrasting two different things.

Scripture strongly supports tongues and interpretation as taught by the Pentecostal and Charismatic churches.

P.S. In other threads on other topics you are always making the claim that God has preserved his word without error in the KJV Bible, so don't try to argue that "Unkown" shouldn't be there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:)I agree with everything you said. I have done research also on the gift of tongues, and I just do not see how they come up with the doctrine that they do, or foolishness. thank you for your input, YSIC Littlelite

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  286
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I was "drunk with the Spirit twice, they were both though the laying on of hands. I was actually wanting to be filled intially, then refilled. What was it like? Um...joy unspeakable...so happy I couldn't stand up, not quite a head rush, but something simular.

I had never been drunk in the natural (by God's grace, not lack of opporutunity or my strength). But I know I must have looked like I was intoxicated. This probably dosn't help any, but if you find some Spirit filled christians in your area, and pray and wait for it, God may want you to experiance this.

Honestly, the first time I asked God to be filled it didn't happen either. But don't give up!

• Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

I don't know if I have yet.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  07/18/1956

acts 2:6 now when this was noised abroad(multitudes who were in the temple heard and saw the proceedings,and as well,began to tell others)the multitude came toghter(what was happening attacted the multitude) and was confounded,because that every man heard them speck in his own language(means that theses on-looking jews heard these people speaking in many different languages,in fact languages of nation's pf their resdence,whereverthat might have been,proving that this was not gibberiah or babble as some claim)

7 and theywere all amazed and marveled(most centered upon this speaking with other tongues) saying one to another,behold are not all theses which speak galileans?(this means that the galilaean accent was peculiar and well known{mark 14:70,luke 22:59}

* and how hear we every man in our own tongue,wherein we were born? (this proves once again that this was not babble,mere chatter,or gibberish,but rather a language knownwhere in the world,but not by the speaker)

one day i was going to work when the spirit came over me and i became i began weeping and praying in the spirit(tongues) i didn't know why or whom i was praying for. i prayed until i felt peace,when i got to work,i tryed to call my daughter at the same time she was tring to call me,finally we talked,the first thing i told her what had happened and that i din't know why the spirit came on me so strong,she said it was for her and her 2 yr old daughter,seems she was at a redlight when a car lost control and was head straight toward here it stopped withend 1 inch of the end of the car where my granddaughter was.she was so shaken that she had to pull over and just cry,because she was so scared,she she mama, God had you praying for us katelyn would have been killed if he haden stop when he did.

the holy spirit has done so many miricles in our lives i could write a book on the miricles that have happened when me and my husband pray in the spirit.

we serve an awesome God!

• Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

Speaking in tongues will cease when "that which is perfect is come" and guess what??? He hasn't come back yet. Until then-we see through a glass darkly but then we will know as we are known!! for now-they are for all of us who will simply believe His Word and receive by faith the baptism in the Spirit.

Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever--and my Bible says that the baptism in the Spirit is the promise of the Father in Acts 1---and Peter said "for this promise is to you, and your children, and to all who are afar off--EVEN AS MANY AS THE LORD OUR GOD SHALL CALL"----So, if he has called you then this promise is for you-the lie that says we can no longer receive the baptism in the Spirit and that the gifts are not for today-is just that--a lie from satan.

ditto.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

P.S. In other threads on other topics you are always making the claim that God has preserved his word without error in the KJV Bible, so don't try to argue that "Unkown" shouldn't be there.

I believe in the speaking of tongues (since I have prayed in the Spirit many-a-time) and agree on what you are saying with all those scriptual references, except one thing: the word "unknown" shouldn't be there actually. It's not in the greek at all.

Heres the greek:

1 Cor 14: 2

ὁ γὰρ λαλῶν γλώσσῃ οὐκ ἀνθρώποις λαλεῖ, ἀλλὰ τῷ Θεῷ· οὐδεὶς γὰρ ἀκούει, πνεύματι δὲ λαλεῖ μυστήρια·

Which translates literately as this:

1 Cor 14: 2

For the one speaking in a tongue not to men speaks but to God; for no one hears; but in spirit he speaks mysteries;

KJV tanslators added the word 'unknown' for extra emphasis, but as you can see from the greek, with or without the word 'unknown' the verse still holds the argument that tongues is a mysterious language (but in spirit he speaks mysteries).