• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  354
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  964
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Gentle-Warrior said:

It is much profitable to understand how to read the bible according to its own genre than to limit the scriptures to literal meaning. To understand God's word properly, we should try to discern the intention of writer, the time in which these parables were given, who the recipients of the scriptures were and what was Jesus trying to accomplish by telling them what the kingdom of God was all about. 

There are no future promises to Israel because God's promises  to them were fulfilled in Jesus Christ (Lk 24:25-27, 44-45, Jn 5:39-40). It is my understanding that there are no promises in the NT about the land either, so it is important to note that the nation of Israel as a whole rejected Him. Once they were judged in AD 70, there is no reason to believe that a covenant Israel will be resurrected from the dead since we are already living in the eternal covenant that God promised to Abraham (Gal. 3:7-8, 16).

By the way, God's people are only those who are in Christ. He who does not have the Spirit of Christ, does not belong to Him (Ro. 8:9).

May I respectfully say it is not limiting scripture to take it literally but rather nullifying  it.

All Israel is not saved today nor in possession of all the promised land as far as I know and Jesus is not reigning from Jerusalem so I do not see that all the promises have been fulfilled. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

21 hours ago, douge said:

May I respectfully say it is not limiting scripture to take it literally but rather nullifying  it.

All Israel is not saved today nor in possession of all the promised land as far as I know and Jesus is not reigning from Jerusalem so I do not see that all the promises have been fulfilled. 

Modern and ungodly Israel today is nothing but a secular nation just like the rest of them. God's promise to OLD COVENANT ISRAEL was Jesus Christ. Period. He is the fulfillment of all God's promises (Lk 24:25-27, 44-45, Jn 5:39-40). Jesus was the glory and the hope of old Israel (Lk 2:32, Acts 28:20).

About modern Israel:

1) They are not in covenant with God

2) They have no faith in Christ

3) They are lost in their sins and,

4) They hate the very name of Jesus. 

So, it is important to know that God's people have always been a people of FAITH, not a people of a certain race. The gospel is the good news that saves ALL PEOPLES from their sins which includes of course Jews. 

Jesus addressing the Jews of His day:

John 10:26–28 (NASB95)

26 “But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep.

27 “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;

28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand."

This modern nation is a deception and stumbling block for Christians because they have yet to discover that Jesus fulfilled all prophecies that God gave Israel:

1) Forgiveness of sins

2) Eternal life

3) The promise of the Spirit. 

4) A new resurrected boy like the glorious body of Jesus Christ (Phil. 3:20-21)

By the way, Jews have been coming to the Lord for the last 2,000 years. The doors of salvation are still open for them and for the rest of the world. 

Edited by Gentle-Warrior

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  761
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

5 were in a 'church' coma, 5 were awake to the false doctrines, errors, and apostacy. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, ejected said:

5 were in a 'church' coma, 5 were awake to the false doctrines, errors, and apostacy. 

Is that your official interpretation of that parable that Jesus told?  The five foolish virgins were church members?  The five wise were not?

When I read it, I see the oil representing the Holy Spirit.  The 5 foolish virgins did not have the Holy Spirit and were not saved.  Evidenced by Jesus saying to them, "I don't know you." 

The 5 wise virgins has the Holy Spirit and were saved.  He took them to the wedding feast.

This parable is not about the church.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  761
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

They were all virgins, spiritually. I could be wrong but i think they were all 'born again'. 

An apostasy, falling away is predicted. And that man of sin be revealed. To fall away from something, you got  to be there first. 

He's coming back for an ekklesia that is without spot or blemish. Is there a part of the ekklesia  that is with spot and blemish?

Is there a servant that got tired of waiting for His Master's return and began to slide and compromise?

And the other point. We are to run from the covetous, 1Cor. 5:11,  and the arrogant. Matt. 23:12, also if they seek the preeminence in a gathering, 3 John, and bear a religious title, Matt. 23:4-12

Elders are to serve freely. Not for gain. 1Peter 5

They are to work secular jobs. Acts 20

So all these commands in God's word need to be taken seriously. All these sins quench the Holy Spirit, 1Thess. 5:19, making impotent the body of Christ. Also the open meeting with full participation of every member and their gifts according to 1Cor.12, Romans12, and Ephesians4, is ignored completely, adding to the total disfunction and defeat of the folks. 

So i do believe that a comotose condition has entrapped the body of Christ in a strangle hold not just keeping Jesus out of the assembly but sapping the spiritual strength out of Christ's body and rendering

it inadequate for the spiritual battle we are called to. The 'fallig away' has had its affect.

Add  all this up and you have a portion of the believers without full lamps of oil. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

On 9/5/2019 at 9:26 AM, ejected said:

Out of context. Jesus was talking to the Jews of HIs day about the kingdom of God. Can you explain in the light of the parable who were the 10 virgins as the Jews understood it? 

Edited by Gentle-Warrior

• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, Abdicate said:

2 Peter 2:17-22
These are waterless springs and mists driven by a storm. For them the gloom of utter darkness has been reserved.  For, speaking loud boasts of folly, they entice by sensual passions of the flesh those who are barely escaping from those who live in error.  They promise them freedom, but they themselves are slaves of corruption. For whatever overcomes a person, to that he is enslaved.  For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first.  For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them.  What the true proverb says has happened to them: “The dog returns to its own vomit, and the sow, after washing herself, returns to wallow in the mire.” 

this psg always somewhat mystified me but i think it is talking about total apostasy from the faith, knowing Jesus yet leaving Him to go back into the world so as to make more money or what the heck ever.. 

• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

I don't have time to read all the posts here so sorry if I am repeating anything

My take on this passage is this

The Catholic Church teaches that oil is symbolic of the Holy Spirit. The 5 foolish virgins are thos who know Jesus but do not follow Him or do not follow him very well. They get drowsy, which i suppose means: tired of good works or other aspects of following Him,  and then they realize Jesus may be coming back soon, so they try to get  oil (holiness) from the 10 wise virgins (not sure how they thought that would work? ) 

Edited by createdequal