• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

the oil is Sanctifying Graces received during prayer

pray as much as you can Nicky...and your lamp will be shining brightly when He comes!

if you struggle to find 'something to say'...

then pray His Word back to Him...The Psalms especially, they are the very prayers He used here on Earth

they needn't be 'for you'...so your own feelings needn't be reflected in them

offer them in prayer and Jesus will use them as He needs for wherever/whoever has that need in the world

or you can simply sit in silence with Him

if you're busy/on the go...just pause a moment and tell Him you love Him!

or thank Him for His Suffering for you and for everyone

or for some particular Grace/Mercy/Blessing in your life...or those you love...or those who offend you

its all about prayer Nicky...prayer lights the lamp

God bless you my brother

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  354
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  964
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

15 hours ago, NickyLouse said:

This seems confusing.

Please read this then ask anything that is not clear to you.

The parable of the ten virgins produces an interesting array of interpretation. This study will present my understanding of this well-known parable. I understand the parable as being directed to Jewish believers to exhort faithful obedience to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ in light of his return and the establishment of His earthly kingdom of heaven.

Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
Matthew 25:1

First, the context of this parable is regarding the coming of the Lord Jesus. It is an exhortation to be found watchful and obedient.

Secondly, the parable relates to the kingdom of heaven; the citizens are compared to ten virgins.

And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. Matthew 25:2

A wise servant is faithful, staunch with what has been entrusted to him, and dutiful. A foolish servant is unprofitable.

They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
Matthew 25:3-4

This is relatively simple on a surface level; the wise were astute enough to make preparations; the foolish were not. Both the wise and the foolish were provided with lamps; the wise virgins were not apathetic, but being fervent, acquired the oil to maximize the profitability of their lamps.

While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.

And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. Matthew 25:5-9

The bridegroom did not come immediately; just as the coming of the Lord Jesus. All the ten virgins arose at the cry; all had some oil initially, but the foolish, lacking perseverance, did not arrange for a delayed coming by buying extra oil.

And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
Matthew 25:10

The wise servants being ready went in with the bridegroom. The foolish servants were neglectful and did not obey the command to be watchful, and prepared.

The door was shut. This parable does not say that the foolish virgins never entered in however.

Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
Matthew 25:11-12

The other virgins are just that, others. They are not the five foolish virgins. The kingdom of heaven is equated to ten virgins; these others are not of the ten and are not included in the kingdom. The Lord knows his own; to these he says he does not. Entrance is denied to these other virgins. Also, Matthew 25:7 refers to all ten as - those virgins; therefore there must be others, the others are in verse 11.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  268
  • Birthday:  02/25/2004

12 minutes ago, douge said:

The other virgins are just that, others. They are not the five foolish virgins. The kingdom of heaven is equated to ten virgins; these others are not of the ten and are not included in the kingdom. The Lord knows his own; to these he says he does not. Entrance is denied to these other virgins. Also, Matthew 25:7 refers to all ten as - those virgins; therefore there must be others, the others are in verse 11.

I have to be forthright with you. This is the first time anyone has said to me that the ones locked out were not the foolish virgins. I will consider what you've said. I am skeptical when I hear something for the first time, but don't hold that against me. I am diligent about discovering the truth.

Edited by NickyLouse
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  268
  • Birthday:  02/25/2004

15 hours ago, JoeCanada said:

Food for thought:

Suppose that the kingdom of heaven mentioned in the parable of the sower as well as the ten virgins parable is not referring explicitly to salvation. Then, all ten virgins could be saved, but lacking in certain rewards related to the kingdom, rather than being apostates bound for Hell and the lake of fire. We would have to examine what is meant by "outer darkness" in Matthew 8:11-12 where sons of the kingdom were thrown for lacking faith. Perhaps this is a different kingdom principle than that of the ten virgins - or - perhaps the foolish virgins are apostate.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

2 hours ago, NickyLouse said:

I have to be forthright with you. This is the first time anyone has said to me that the ones locked out were not the foolish virgins. I will consider what you've said. I am skeptical when I hear something for the first time, but don't hold that against me. I am diligent about discovering the truth.

I kind of question biblical explanations when these are pushed to the end times because it lacks the reality of what it means to us today, or worse, what it meant to the Jews of Jesus' day.

It is my understanding that Jesus was telling the Jews a story about 10 virgins (ten being the number of perfection) while speaking about the coming kingdom of God (the new birth). Five of them had a soft heart (the oil of their lamps means the work of the Holy Spirit in their lives), while the other half were not ready for the kingdom of God.  

This story became a reality when Peter began to preach the gospel of the kingdom to the Jews in Acts 2. Those who were ready went on with the King who has ascended to the throne of glory, while the others rejected Christ and at the end died without Him.  

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, NickyLouse said:

You should be persuaded in your own mind.

Just remember to make evaluation upon scripture and not what others tell you what scripture says.

If the parable says the kingdom of heaven (which is the earthly prophetic kingdom) is comprised of ten virgins then how can it be said no there is only five?

Edited by douge
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Gentle-Warrior said:

I kind of question biblical explanations when these are pushed to the end times because it lacks the reality of what it means to us today, or worse, what it meant to the Jews of Jesus' day.

It is my understanding that Jesus was telling the Jews a story about 10 virgins (ten being the number of perfection) while speaking about the coming kingdom of God (the new birth). Five of them had a soft heart (the oil of their lamps means the work of the Holy Spirit in their lives), while the other half were not ready for the kingdom of God.  

This story became a reality when Peter began to preach the gospel of the kingdom to the Jews in Acts 2. Those who were ready went on with the King who has ascended to the throne of glory, while the others rejected Christ and at the end died without Him.  

That Jesus was speaking at that time of the last days is not pushing it to the end times. Jesus was offering the kingdom to Israel during his earthly ministry, these were the last days and will be offered again in the future. Jesus was not telling stories but parables....he was speaking truths about the kingdom that would not be understood.

It is much more profitable to take the Bible literally than to say it means something esoteric like the kingdom is new birth or the oil is the Holy Spirit.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, douge said:

That Jesus was speaking at that time of the last days is not pushing it to the end times. Jesus was offering the kingdom to Israel during his earthly ministry, these were the last days and will be offered again in the future. Jesus was not telling stories but parables....he was speaking truths about the kingdom that would not be understood.

It is much more profitable to take the Bible literally than to say it means something esoteric like the kingdom is new birth or the oil is the Holy Spirit.

It is much profitable to understand how to read the bible according to its own genre than to limit the scriptures to literal meaning. To understand God's word properly, we should try to discern the intention of writer, the time in which these parables were given, who the recipients of the scriptures were and what was Jesus trying to accomplish by telling them what the kingdom of God was all about. 

There are no future promises to Israel because God's promises  to them were fulfilled in Jesus Christ (Lk 24:25-27, 44-45, Jn 5:39-40). It is my understanding that there are no promises in the NT about the land either, so it is important to note that the nation of Israel as a whole rejected Him. Once they were judged in AD 70, there is no reason to believe that a covenant Israel will be resurrected from the dead since we are already living in the eternal covenant that God promised to Abraham (Gal. 3:7-8, 16).

By the way, God's people are only those who are in Christ. He who does not have the Spirit of Christ, does not belong to Him (Ro. 8:9).

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

25 minutes ago, Gentle-Warrior said:

It is much profitable to understand how to read the bible according to its own genre than to limit the scriptures to literal meaning. To understand God's word properly, we should try to discern the intention of writer, the time in which these parables were given, who the recipients of the scriptures were and what was Jesus trying to accomplish by telling them what the kingdom of God was all about. 

There are no future promises to Israel because God's promises  to them were fulfilled in Jesus Christ (Lk 24:25-27, 44-45, Jn 5:39-40). It is my understanding that there are no promises in the NT about the land either, so it is important to note that the nation of Israel as a whole rejected Him. Once they were judged in AD 70, there is no reason to believe that a covenant Israel will be resurrected from the dead since we are already living in the eternal covenant that God promised to Abraham (Gal. 3:7-8, 16).

By the way, God's people are only those who are in Christ. He who does not have the Spirit of Christ, does not belong to Him (Ro. 8:9).

You are right for the most part, warrior, but God will not break his promise to national Israel. He is still going to restore them. The believing remnant of Jews today are apart of the new humanity which is the Church, where there is neither Jew or Gentile.

Col 3:11  Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

But  because he blinded the Jews for a season, God himself will restore Israel after the fullness of the Gentiles come to salvation.

Rom 11:25  I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in,

Rom 11:26  and in this way all Israel will be saved. As it is written: "The deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness away from Jacob.

Israel at that time is going to see our Lord’s wounds and weep and repent. 

Zec 13:6  And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.

Bless the Lord Jesus Christ forever! Our God is faithful and wise!
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, saved34 said:

You are right for the most part, warrior, but God will not break his promise to national Israel. He is still going to restore them. The believing remnant of Jews today are apart of the new humanity which is the Church, where there is neither Jew or Gentile.

Col 3:11  Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

But  because he blinded the Jews for a season, God himself will restore Israel after the fullness of the Gentiles come to salvation.

Rom 11:25  I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in,

Rom 11:26  and in this way all Israel will be saved. As it is written: "The deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness away from Jacob.

Israel at that time is going to see our Lord’s wounds and weep and repent. 

Zec 13:6  And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.

Bless the Lord Jesus Christ forever! Our God is faithful and wise!

Sorry, but I disagree. God's Promises to Israel was Jesus Christ. God the Father does nothing outside of Jesus Christ, nor did God ever make promises to Israel as a physical nation, but as a people of faith.

The old covenant is gone forever while now we live in the new and eternal covenant. God's people are those who have the faith of Abraham, not modern, physical and ungodly Israel.

Galatians 3:6–7 (NKJV)

"Just as Abraham “believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham."