Tampered With

The Line of Christian Supersessionism and Jew-Hatred

The Line of Christian Supersessionism and Jew-Hatred

AD 115 - In his Epistle to the Magnesians, Ignatius, bishop of Antioch, argued that any form of Judaism is incompatible with belief in Jesus as Messiah. "For if even unto this day we live after the manner of Judaism, we avow that we have not received grace. 

From: Ignatius of Antioch, Letter to the Magnesians, 8:1, 10:3, transl. J. B. Lightfoot, available online from the Early Christian Writings website.

One can imagine how the Apostle Paul would feel about such writing since he openly practiced Judaism throughout his life and ministry (Acts 18:18, 21:26, 23:6; Phil.3:6) plus Pauls writing in Romans 11.    

AD 120 - In the Epistle of Barnabas, we already find strong supersessionist sentiment expressed. There are repeated references to Christians as the "the new" people and the Jews as those who had been forever rejected. One passage actually states that the new covenant is "our covenant" that was not even given to the Jews. Yet we see through the prophet Jeremiah, G_d said, "I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah" (Jer.31:31) Bur Barnabus claimed that not only was the new covenant not made with Israel but that at the moment when Moses descended from Mount Sinai and broke the two tablets, the Jews "lost it....for ever".

Epistle of Barnabus, 4:6-8, trans. J. B. Lightfoot, available online from the Early Christian Writings website.

"We Are The True Israelitic Race"

AD 150 - In Justin Mary's "Dialogue with Trypho the Jew," we begin to find a much more well-developed supersessionist theology. 

Speaking of Trypho, Justin said: " Since then G_d blesses this people (the Church), and calls them Israel, and declares them to be His inheritance, how is it that you repent not of the deception you practice on yourselves, as if you alone were Israel, and speaking ill of the people whom G_d has blessed?"

Trypho then asks, "What then? Are you Israel? And He speaks such things to you? to which Justin later responded, "Christ is the Israel and the Jacob, even so we, who have been quarried out from the bowels of Christ, are the true Israeltic race." So are the Jews a false Israelitic race and if so then why does say all of the nation of Israel will be saved in one day as this does not surely apply to mankind.

Romans 11:26 King James Version (KJV)

26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

Romans verse 7 says:

What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded. 

The rest obviously refers to the majority of the Jews in Israel and not to gentile Christians that take an honest look at scripture. 

The whole bible is a way for salvation for all and not a way to exclude some and elevate some to power over some. Who is blinded now?   

10 minutes ago, Tampered With said:

The whole bible is a way for salvation for all.....

Is this an assumption or a premise ,  as if true ?    Remembering most people on earth are never on the narrow way of salvation, ever....

10 minutes ago, Tampered With said:

Who is blinded now?   

The world, of course.   Everyone born of the flesh,  who is not born of the spirit.  (not born again).

Right on. And the antisemitism prevailed all down thru the ages to the holocaust. All Israel shall be saved, believers of all nations including Israel shall be saved. Do not take much notice of the church fathers and others who did not study Hebrew and few understood it. They overlooked the Tanach mostly and pretended new stuff that they invented was the 'true doctrine'.

How mistaken they were...

The People Made Void

AD 165 - Melito of Sardis, the bishop of Sardis near Smyrna in the region of modern-day Turkey, wrote a sermon titled "On the Pascha" (easter". In the sermon, Melito perfectly articulated the theology of the divine rejection of the Jewish people: "The people Israel was precious before the Church arose, and the law was marvelous before the gospel was elucidated. But when the Church arose, and the gospel took precedence, the model was made void, conceding its power to reality ... the people was made void when the church arose."
 R. Kendall Soulen, The G_d of Israel and Christain Theology (Minneapolis: Fortress, 1996), 29.

I note how easily  G_d here is relegated to being a liar refusing to abide by His own sworn word and Everlasting Covenants! Amazing!

AD 210 - Hippolytus of Rome, often referred to as the most important theologian of the third century, wrote his polemical "Expository Tresitory Treatise against the Jews."  Hippolytus developed the theme that because the Jews are collectively guilty for killing Jesus  (decided), they have corporately been eternally and forever cut off from G_d, both in this age and the next:

Not only did Hippolytus cast the Jews' alleged rejection by G_d as "everlasting," but he also claimed their suffering and collective punishment to be perpetual. (Does any of this sound familiar? How soon the Church had forgotten the warnings of Apostel Paul in Romans 11.
Hippolytus, "Expository Treatise against the Jews," pars. 1, 5, http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0503.htm.

Who Really Killed Jesus?

According to scripture: it was the sins not of merely of the Jewish people  but of all of us that specifically required Jesus to lay His life down: "All of us like sheep have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; but the Lord has caused the iniquity of us all to fall on Him" (Isaiah 53:6) If you doubt this then are you truly saved?

Matthew 7:22 

Matthew 7:21-23 King James Version (KJV)

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Some people equate religiousness, going to Church or even high rank in an religious order as a way to salvation. They are not.

John 14:6 King James Version (KJV)

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

So you either know Him or you do not. You can't fake it. Rituals will not help you. It is a one on one face to face meeting with Yeshua himself (your own road to Damascus moment).

Edited by Tampered With

AD 306 - The Church Synod of Elvira placed restrictions on various forms of community or social interaction between Christians and Jews. On the threat of loss of communion, canon 16 prohibited Christians from marrying Jews. Cannon 48 made it a sinful act to bless a Jews crops, and Cannon 50 forbade Christians from eating with Jews. So it had become forbidden by Church law to even sit down and share a meal with a Jew. 

No sooner were such Church restrictions issued than actual legal restrictions were added. 
"The Council of Elvira, ca. 306"

AD 315 - Emperor Constantine published the Edict of Milan, and Jews could no longer live in Jerusalem. The Church had now forbidden them to live there despite G_d having given it to the Jews (Deuteronomy 1:8). Jewish History Sourcebook Jews and the Later Roman Law 315 - 531.

AD 325 - The Council of Nicaea determined to forever separate the Christian celebration of Easter from its Jewish roots in the Passover. Seeming to forget that Jesus and the Disciples all celebrated the Passover. The council said it unbecoming beyond measure that on this holiest of festivals we would follow the customs of the Jews. If you care to read it all look it up for yourself. It makes me sick.
"Two millennia of Jewish persecution: Anti-Judaism:70 TO 1200 CE, " Religious Tolerance website

AD 330 - Tertullian, an early church theologian, wrote his treatise Adversus Judaeos (Against the Jews), where he made the argument that the Church is now the heir to all the promises made to the Jewish people in the Abrahamic, Davidic, and new covenants. He saw the AD 70 expulsion of the Jews as permanent bad for him G_d has regathered the Jews to Israel and re-establish the nation! 

AD 341 - The Council of Antioch forbade Christians from celebrating Passover with the Jews

AD 343 -381 - The Laodicean Synod approved cannon 38, stated; "It is not lawful [for Christians] to receive unleavened from the Jews.
Boy have I broken that a lot, thanks to my Jewish friends!

AD 415 - Cyril, the Patriarch of Alexandria, immediately after assuming office, initiated a series of measures leading to the expulsion of every Jew in Alexandria. 
Jewish History Sourcebook, "III. A Law of Theodosius11, January 31, 439: Novella III: Samaritans, Heretics, and Pagans."

AD 418 - Jerome, the Latin Church Father, in speaking of the Jewish synagogues, used the most inflammatory descriptions imaginable: "If you call it a brothel, a den of vice, the Devils refuge, Satan's fortress, a place to deprave the soul, an abyss of every conceivable disaster or whatever you will, you are still saying less than it deserves."   (It sounds like the Latin Church Father and Joseph Goebbels the German Nazi politician and Reich Minister of Propaganda of Nazi Germany are cut from the same ideological cloth.)

AD 489 - 519:  During this period, Christian mobs destroyed numerous synagogues in the cities of Antioch, Daphne, and Ravenna.
"Two millennia of Jewish persecution: Anti-Judaism: 70 - 1200 CE."

AD 531 - Emperor Justinian passed the Justinian Code, prohibiting Jews from building synagogues, reading the Bible in Hebrew, assembling in public, celebrating Passover before Easter, or testifying against Christians in Court.

Edited by Tampered With

The History of the Christian Church and the Jews 

AD 535 - The Synod of Claremont decreed that Jews could not hold office or have any form of authority over Christians.

Fritz B. Voll, " A Short Review of a Troubled History," Jewish Christian Relations Website.

AD 538 - The Third and Fourth Councils of Orleans prohibited Jews from appearing in public during the Easter season. 

Christian Jew-Hatred From the Fourth Century to the HOLOCAUST   

I understand how this all upsets and grieves many within the Church yet there are still the roots of this cancer in the Church and it needs to be removed. To understand how Nazism arose in Europe the Church in Europe is going to have to take some hard self-introspection because the same spirit that caused the Third Reich to come to prominence is once again and the world's leaders are once again making all the same mistakes they did during that time only this time the world faces a death toll of staggering numbers never before even considered. Yeshua is coming back and Satan knows his time is growing short. Prophecy tells us what is about to happen. Are you ready? This is going to make the HOLOCAUST look tame and if that does not put the fear of G_d in you then something is seriously wrong with you!

I started off in college as a history major because if you don't understand where you have been how can you understand where you want to go or even begin to understand G_d's plan. I changed into the fields of psychology and sociology trying to understand how people and societies work relegating history study to my free time but not abandoning it. I have stated it before elsewhere but I spent my last year and a half in college taking graduate-level psychology classes for undergraduate credit and I read a lot of university textbooks still today. I have attended two different Bible schools also just for my own edification. I don't fit into conventional church structure as I'm sure many of you have already noticed. I once found a perfect Church home that fit me like a second skin because they are all just like me. They support Israel and the Jews just like me and they get flack from most "Christain" churches just like me. Some Christian churches even persecute them because of their beliefs which is sad.I had some members of one of those Christaian churches ask me once; Is it true people at your church worship Jews? I answered. Only one. How about yours?

Once the Church became infused with the power of the state the Jewish people were subjected to almost three hundred years of consistent persecution. After the fifth century, anti-Semitism became fundamentally ingrained into the fabric of European Christian culture. This time was marked by sporadic persecutions, the kidnapping of Jewish children, forced baptisms and conversions, harsh economic pressures, the seizure of property, expulsions, forced enslavement, and even multiple massacres of entire communities of Jews. 

AD 558 - Ferreol the Bishop of Uzes, in France, gathered all of the Jews in his diocese to the Church of St. Theodoric to hear a baptismal sermon. Any Jews who did not convert were expelled from his district. 
The Jewish Encyclopedia, s.v. "France," 

AD 613 - Persecution against Jews broke out in Spain. Jews were given the option of converting to Christianity or being expelled from the country. Many Jewish children over the age of six years of age were taken from their parents and reeducated as Christians. (Such Christ like behavior, yes?)

AD 692 - A Church council held in 692 under Justinian II at Constantinople, known as the Quinisext Council or the Council in Trullo, sought to break all social interaction between Christians and Jews.

AD 694 -n The Seventh Church Council of Toledo, issued by King Egica of Spain, in its eighth cannon, stated in part: "The Jews ...shall be deprived of their property for the benefit of the exchequer, and shall be made slaves forever. (So very Christian of him don't you think)

AD 722 - Leo III outlawed Judaism

AD 1078 - Pope Gregory VII decreed that Jews could not hold office or be superiors to Christians.

AD 1096 - The First Crusade was launched. The first of eight. Although the primary goal of the Crusades was to liberate Jerusalem from the Muslims Jews became secondary targets. As the soldiers passed through Europe on the way to the Holy Land, large numbers of Jews in Germany, France, and England were killed leading historians to refer to this period as "the first Holocaust." 
Johnathan Riley-Smith, The Crusades: A History (Yale University Press, 2005) 

AD 1099 - In Jerusalem, the Crusaders forced all the Jews of the city into a central synagogue and set it on fire. Those that tried to escape were forced back into the burning building. (Forgive me G_d for what I think about those responsible for this -Tampered With)
"Two millennia of Jewish persecution: Anti-Judaism: 70 -1200 CE." 

Edited by Tampered With

AD 1146 - The Second Crusade began. Radulphe, a French monk, through his preaching and condemnation of the Jews, inspired several massacres in the Rhineland, Colone, Mainz, Worms, and Speyer. He openly called for the massacre of Jews, stating, "The Jews should be slain as the enemies of the Christian religion."  (So may the God of Israel take care of this guy.) 

AD 1189 - At the coronation of King Ricard the Lionheart, although Jews were banned from the ceremony, some Jewish leaders arrived to present gifts to the new king. Richard's courtiers stripped and flogged them. This resulted in a rumor that Richard had ordered all Jews to be killed, resulting in a massacre of Jews throughout London. Many Jews were beaten to death, robbed, and burned alive. 

AD 1205 - "By their own guilt," wrote Pope Innocent III to two of his archbishops, "the Jews are consigned to perpetual servitude because they crucified the Lord ... As slaves rejected by G_d, in whose death they wickedly conspire, they shall be the effect of this action, recognize themselves as the slaves of those whom Christ's death set free." (Was this guy an idiot or what as he obviously led a circular firing squad?)

AD 1215 - The Fourth Lateran Council approved canon laws requiring that "[Jews], whether men or women, must in all Christian countries distinguish themselves from the rest of the population in public places by a special kind of clothing." They also had to wear the badge or special clothing to distinguish them from Christians.
( And you thought uncle Adolf and his Nazi buddies came up with that idea all on their on?)

AD 1259 -A synod of the archdiocese in Mainz, Germany, ordered all Jews within its borders to wear yellow badges.

AD 1285 - The entire Jewish community of Munich, some 180 individuals were burned alive to blood libel.

Edited by Tampered With

AD 1306 - One hundred thousand Jews were exiled from France, with only the cloths on their backs! Look it up for yourself.

AD 1337 - Jews in Belgium were wiped out in a series of massacres according to the Jewish Encyclopedia.  

AD 1347 - After being blamed for the Black Death, Jews were murdered en masse. (Look it up for yourself.)

AD 1366 - Great Persecution broke out in Spain. 

AD1394 -Jews were exiled, for the second time from France.

AD 1434 - Jewish men in Augsburg had to sew yellow buttons to their clothes. Across Europe, Jews were forced to wear a long undergarment, an overcoat with a yellow patch, bells, and tall pointed yellow pointed hats with a large button on them.

AD 1453 - The Franciscan monk Capistrano persuaded the King of Poland to terminate all Jewish civil rights.

AD 1492 - In Spain, Ferdinand and Isabella issued the Edict of Expulsion ordering all Jews whatever age to leave the kingdom by the last day of July.

AD 1497 - In Portugal, Manuel the Great "issued the decree that all Jewish children, irrespective of sex, who should have reached their fourth year and should not have passed their twentieth should be torn from their parents and brought up in the Christian faith at the expense of the King."

AD 1516 - The governor of the Republic of Venice decided that Jews would only be permitted to live only in one area of the city. This was the first ghetto in Europe.

AD 1540 -50 Jews were banished from Naples, Genoa, and Venice.

Martin Luther
AD 1543 - When Martin Luther transformed from Catholic monk to Protestant Reformer, he made efforts to convert Jews to Christianity. When his efforts failed, his attitude quickly changed and he became enraged at the Jewish people, composing one of the worst examples of anti-Jewish hate literature in all history. I've covered this elsewhere so will not belabor the point again here.

The Jewish Question 
AD 1750 - It is 1750 when we first the term "the Jewish Question" being discussed in Great Brittan an, then in France and later in Germany It was not a new question as unfortunately, Luther had already offered a solution. Hundreds of pamphlets, newspaper articles, and books were written on the subject. Often this included the deportation of the Jewish community yet some were opposed to such ideas. Unfortunately, as we know the humane way did not prevail and bymid-nineteenth century in Germany demands for "de-Jewifying" everything was the norm as we are again hearing even today. (Unfortunately, European and even American Christian society then as today are swallowing the bait hook line and sinker.)

(As Gerhard Falk, author of The Jew in Christian Theology, so accurately states. "There is, of course, no Jewish question. The problem for which the solution can only be an attitude of change on the part of the Christians.")

Hitler did not burst onto the world scene with new or unique hatred of the Jewish people. What very few  Christians today truly understand is that Hitler's Jew-hatred was actually a very typical Christian attitude. Was Hitler a Christian or a pagan? There are quite a few statements that one can produce to support either position. To ignore our Christian collective history and failure to acknowledge the thoroughly established Jew-hatred inside the Christian Church that Hitler and his kind was able to use is to deny fact as well as established history to inspire an enable the Nazi's to carry out the plan. 

Jew-hatred, which for 1500 years had consistently borne horrifically bad fruit, had now forever revealed the ultimate results of a supersessionist divestment theology! Two thirds of all European Jews died and none of Christian European Christianity had lifted a finger to stop it! German government and citizens went through the motions but in reality the majority including so called " German Christians"  turned blind eyes to the Nazi SS who perpetrated the atrocities as an example Last Known WWII Nazi Living In U.S., Deported To Germany,  Jan 11, 2019 and Nazis in their 90s: Germany intensifies hunt for war criminals still at large - https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/07/17/germany-nazi-killers-einsatzgruppen/768938002/. You can't hide that long without help or incompetence as in those "looking" are not looking very hard.

(CNN) In January 2016, the Institute of Contemporary History released the first reprint of Adolf Hitler's "Mein Kampf" since World War II. One year on, the German publisher says the book has sold some 85,000 copies and spent 35 weeks on Der Spiegel non-fiction best-seller list.

Edited by Tampered With