• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

8 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

17.00hr!  Farm workers don't make that much here! I don't think anyone makes that much where I am. The factories  here start you out at 8.00 or 11.00 hr. And they all go through a temp service so they don't have to pay benefits.  Anything else is minim wedge.   

Hi, 

Well why aren't they all moving then? Why just sit and take it? Seems to me  it has to be because people are not yet hungry enough to migrate. If they moved instead of working through a temp agency the employers and the temp offices would have to change too. -  Why leave Egypt? 

Some of us get put into hard times, to serve the good purposes of God, as He wants His own to disperse into all the world is my thought. I wrestle not against "the system" but against the evil one and his minions. Been moved a few times myself.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

It is fascinating to look at USA census reports and to find my ancestors living and reporting in  from row houses evidently living up to twelve in a "unit", among hundreds of look alike units of factory provided housing. Their job descriptions - servant, gluer leather cutter last operator. mostly shoe factory jobs. And yet I also know my great great great grandfather came from Canada by way of England bought up lumber forests and also built the first automated shoe box factory near the shoe factory. Some of us flourished others struggled, but I suspect few had the luxury of opening a bank account to receive their electronically distributed stipends from the government for doing nothing but breathing and taking up space.

The moral codes and the practical application of shared work of the shaker communities are quite intriguing to me. They were progressive inventors of many things worked within the greater community around their own community. Their religion and doctrine is a bit bizarre but....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

43 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Well why aren't they all moving then?

Most young people here do move away. But yeah there are a few of us who are still here. But most everyone around here once they get out of high school are gone! I left. But then a family issue forced me back. Which is the only reason why I am here right now. 

P.S Most people where I am do have jobs and work. 

Edited by LadyKay
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

On 9/9/2019 at 11:43 AM, LadyKay said:

This is not a political post.  There is this ideal that every adult citizen age 18 and older, gets $1000.00 a month as a basic living wage.  So for fun. Lets just say that this happens. Your an adult and you get a 1000.00 every month.  Say the fist Monday of every month the check comes or gets deposited into your account. How would this change your life? What would you do with the money?  For myself I would not have so much worry about making the rent payment each month. Having a 1000.00 a month could cover that. I would also feel some reassurance in knowing that if worked slowed down, I would at less have something coming in to cover basic living.  So what are your thoughts? How would having a guarantee $1000.00 a month effect your life?    And again. Not political. Cause then the thread will get ban or moved and no one will have any fun. 

Okay to get things moving along. Lets say you get a 1000.00 a month along with any pay that you earn from your job.  

As someone already asked, and you never answered the question:

Where does the money come from?

34 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

I lived in Southern CA before arriving at where I reside now. I'll never forget the innumerable illegal acts and shenanigans pulled by the company who assumed control of the rental property where I was a long-term resident (6 years). This is what some management companies do: they snap up a property, increase rent to the point where it drives long-term tenants out, and then they offer units at rates which dwarf what used to be charged in the past. 

Perhaps because they paid far more for the property than the original builder/owner/developer did. The original owner likely ran out of income tax depreciation to take against the property and it became time for them to sell. The builder/investor finally takes a gain for the risk they took by building  in the first place. That is just the way it is. No one goes into rental business in order to take a loss of capital. The whole idea is to make a profit for the risk taken.

Rents everywhere that I am familiar with are going way up, whether rural or city. New building and health safety codes alone have increased construction cost more than double and approaching triple what it was just a very few years ago. The numbers are staggering to me. Remodeling a local to here  residence  costs upward of three hundred dollars  a square foot. That is what commercial building costs were just a couple years ago. Some new construction  is costing a whopping $600 a square foot  to meet the new international building codes standards and to obtain workers that will actually work  and build. Apartment buildings are going up all over, few of today's younger people want to buy, and they want to be in the city itself running around on city provided electric scooters and gathering at local pub/restaurants nightly.

Older buildings are having to meet new fire code enforcement code enforcement standards. My local church just had to put in  a fire sprinkler system at $123,000 plus many other issues for health safety codes that now have to be complied with. There is no grandfathering of health and safety standards, no exemptions. It is very costly to retrofit into a building. Commercial property owners must recoup those costs when they  are required to meet the new codes. And so  rent/leases go up and then end user products for sale go up too.

One has to learn to work smarter become more valuable in order to pay more, or fall behind and eventually do without.

Ha, add the potential  cost to provide everyone a free $12,000 a year onto the tax costs of operating a rental business and see how fast rents go up.

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

But then a family issue forced me back

Yes it sure does happen to us and our beloved ones.  I do remember it as a privilege as well as duty. I am sure you do as well!

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

there is about 300 million of us at the present time        $1000 a month is 300 billion dollars a month....   3.6 trillion dollars a year...   where do they intend to get that from?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Exegesis said:

As someone already asked, and you never answered the question:

Where does the money come from?

I don't know? That really wasn't what my post what about.   My post was about "what could this extra money do for you." I think where the money comes from would be better answered in a political forum post.  This is more of a "what if" kind of topic. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, LadyKay said:

I don't know? That really wasn't what my post what about.   My post was about "what could this extra money do for you." I think where the money comes from would be better answered in a political forum post.  This is more of a "what if" kind of topic. 

I know one thing it can't do:  Help any tax payer.  Because the only way this could be done is to raise taxes.  The government never gives anyone anything.  There is always a cost. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

we could use it to pay the taxes that it would take to do something like that...

and if by some chance we didn't have to do that, I'd put it in a revocable trust for my grand kids college fund.