createdequal

The Word says we ARE judged by our works

All throughout the Bible (I refer especially to the NEW Testament) we are told that we will be judged according to our works.

The exact passages can be looked up using those words

But here is one from Mt 25:31

Jesus says that those who took care of Him will enter Heaven. Well, how can we take care of Jesus when He is in Heaven? Obviously,  this passage.. and this one is clear enough for a 7 year old to understand it.. speaks of how we deal with Jesus's followers. If we ignore them, do not take care of their temporal needs, we will be rejected and end up in Hell. There is no ambiguity about Hell in this passage, described as eternal punishment.

There is nothing in that psg and so many others  I have read (read the whole thing) that says we do not have to do good works in order to get to Heaven. We are  saved by grace, but How does that statement translate into: you don't have to do anything good. You can live your life focused on money and human relationships, etc... and still get into Heaven?

If we go down the road to being saved by our performance , the Standard is Perfection.Good luck with that!

There IS another Way if one has faith .The faith to believe Jesus died for your sins and rose from the grave .Rest in those two Truths and don’t add to them with your good works and you are a Saved Man.That simple . Jesus Promised it. 

5 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

If we go down the road to being saved by our performance , the Standard is Perfection.Good luck with that!

There IS another Way if one has faith .The faith to believe Jesus died for your sins and rose from the grave .Rest in those two Truths and don’t add to them with your good works and you are a Saved Man.That simple . Jesus Promised it. 

Our good works follow us into the eternity, BB.  They don’t save us initially, but let me repeat, they follow us.  The fine linen we wear in heaven are our righteous acts.  

Revelation 14:12-13 King James Version (KJV)

12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

DD32EF73-DCD8-4679-BB5A-7C781BAB6DB3.gif.768ea2f89b9684281e3efd75068945e4.gif  

Edited by Sonshine☀️

Brother BB… Notice that Revelation 14:12 (posted above) states “saints.”  They are saints to begin with.  They are already in Christ, (selah)  ....and they prove they are Christians by keeping the commandments of God.  See?  It’s very clear, right?

6DD5D09D-112A-482C-B426-8C4310E26DE7.gif.32f940ff050f97aaeea25653ebf3529c.gif  Shine on!

Scripture tells us that our works will be tested by fire.

1 Corinthians 3:12-15

Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is.  If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward.  If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

James 2: 14 - 26

What good is it, my brothers, if a man says he has faith, but has no works? Can faith save him? And if a brother or sister is naked and in lack of daily food, and one of you tells them, “Go in peace. Be warmed and filled;” yet you didn’t give them the things the body needs, what good is it? Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead in itself.  Yes, a man will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

You believe that God is one. You do well. The demons also believe, and shudder. But do you want to know, vain man, that faith apart from works is dead? Wasn’t Abraham our father justified by works, in that he offered up Isaac his son on the altar? You see that faith worked with his works, and by works faith was perfected. So the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him as righteousness,” and he was called the friend of God. You see then that by works, a man is justified, and not only by faith. In the same way, wasn’t Rahab the prostitute also justified by works, in that she received the messengers and sent them out another way? For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, even so faith apart from works is dead.

Edited by DustyRoad

6 hours ago, Sonshine☀️ said:

Brother BB… Notice that Revelation 14:12 (posted above) states “saints.”  They are saints to begin with.  They are already in Christ, (selah)  ....and they prove they are Christians by keeping the commandments of God.  See?  It’s very clear, right?

6DD5D09D-112A-482C-B426-8C4310E26DE7.gif.32f940ff050f97aaeea25653ebf3529c.gif  Shine on!

As  usual Paul Ellis puts it better than I ever could.....Feast on these reassuring words..

A reader asked for my thoughts on the following passage:

This calls for patient endurance on the part of the saints who obey God’s commandments and remain faithful to Jesus. (Rev 14:12, NIV)

When I was a younger man I might’ve preached a message on this verse that went something like this: “You gotta hang tough for Jesus. You gotta suck it up and stick it out or he’ll reject you.” What a terrible flesh-glorifying message!

And who was I to talk about endurance? I hadn’t been through half the stuff John the Revelator endured. I didn’t live in fear of the Roman circus or Pharisaical persecution. I not only lacked John’s credibility, I was reading his words all wrong.

God’s people must learn to endure. They must also obey his commands and have faith in Jesus. (Rev 14:12, CEV)

The NIV, CEV and a few other translations present this scripture as a command-that-must-be-obeyed. “You must endure. You must obey.” But that way lies disaster because the focus is on you when it ought to be on Jesus. Read this passage in other translations and you will find no such appeals to the flesh:

Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus. (Rev 14:12, KJV)

Spot the difference? Some translations say “You must,” others say “Here is.” One is a prescription, the other is an announcement. Some translations point to the faith of the saints, others point to the faith of Jesus. Big difference!

(You may be tempted to write in and ask me, “So which Bible can we trust?” I’m going to disappoint you and say no translation is perfect. Filter all you read through the Living Word.)

The point is not “we endure to become Christians” but “because we are Christians we endure.” You have a mighty Overcomer living inside you. It’s the faith of Jesus that empowers you to go through life’s trials.

Spiritual Rambo_smNo spiritual Rambos

How can we get this wrong? By focusing on ourselves instead of our Savior. By worrying about our faithfulness instead of resting in his.

I don’t know about you, but I am tired of being told to harden up and act like a spiritual Rambo. That sort of nonsense promotes self-trust and pretending. Human perseverance is a strength for sure, but God can’t use it. Believe me, no medals will be handed out in heaven for human endurance.

If there is one thing I have learned in life, it’s that everyone breaks and the sooner you break – or quit trying not to break – the better. Why? Because God can’t do anything with us when we’re trusting in our own strength or leaning on our own understanding:

That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Cor 12:10)

Why does Paul say this? Because the key to enduring the unendurable, is to lift your eyes off your present circumstances and focus on what the Lord will bring about:

So we’re not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There’s far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can’t see now will last forever. (2 Cor 4:16-18, MSG)

The faith of Jesus

As I have said elsewhere, we don’t go through trials to see if we can manufacture the right stuff. Rather, life’s trials reveal that God has given us the Right Stuff because he has given us himself. It is his faith that endures and his light that shines!

If you have been through tough times you may know this to be true. If you’re going through tough times you’re about to find out!

Here’s the takeaway: trust in your own endurance and eventually you will break. The bad news is that life is bigger than you, but the good news is that Jesus is bigger than all!

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. (2 Cor 4:16-18)

In the old covenant you had to prove yourself but in the new we get to prove and affirm Jesus. He is treasure within. He is the light that shines and his is the faith that overcomes. We don’t endure and obey and act faithful to earn our place in the kingdom; we bear those fruits because we are connected to the Vine and it is his life that we now live.

Saving faith does produce works.  

Eph 2:8  For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,  Eph 2:9  not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Eph 2:10  For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Having been set free from the bondage of trying to be good, we are able to walk in the Spirit.  It is His love in us guiding us to serve others.

Faith without works is dead because it comes from a heart that has not been regenerated by God. Empty professions of faith have no power to change lives. Those who pay lip service to faith but who do not possess the Spirit will hear Christ Himself say to them, “I never knew you. Depart from me, you evildoers” (Matthew 7:23).

I agree to you that we will judged by what we do to the weakest, and by nothing else. The phrasing is extremly clear, furthermore if any conflicts between bible quotes arise we are advised to solve them by the highest command from Jesus - which is to love god and your next, your next like you love yourself. Jesus judgment according to lived charity and this highest order are in perfect logical harmony. Other bible quotes, especially those derived from the old testament that are used to create confusion about this (for example that you can be saved by faith alone) are hence ill advised. Faith will save you, yes. But if you have faith in Christ you automatically act in the way that Jesus wants you and that prevents you from receiving such judgment. If it does not make you act this way your faith is not genuine, and nowhere in the bible I ever read that fake faith will save your soul...

Jesus in his crucification presents himself as the weakest - a poor almost naked criminal who is mocked and has no power to defend himself anymore. This shall again draw our attention to the fact, that we shall save our souls by acts, and by acts to save the weakest. Take the poor and sick from the crucifix of blame that they have deserved such a destiny (and in conseuquence should rot away without aid) from that cross of accusation - just like you would have loved and desired to take Jesus from his cross! The story of crucification and the logic of Jesus judgment according to charity are again in perfect harmony.

However I do not agree with most american christians on what hell is. It seems to be a place that is eternal and fare removed from god and Jesus. But the term Kolasis allegedly used by Jesus in the greek text does not mean eternal punishment in the sense of eternal revenge but eternal discipline.* I would avoid such a place even if there is no punishment as eternal torment, because I guess it is a place where you have no free will anymore foerever, the ultimate prison (dude, after all people send to that place have demonstrated that they are not able to use their free will in any friendly way) and that you are hence not fully ALIVE anymore. Not fully alive, because you are continously disciplined? Really! Because if you can't express your free will anymore you will propably feel dead too, or at least not fully human.

That Jesus judges us according to our deeds might furthermore mean that some atheists will make it to heaven. There are some serious problems with atheism like the gradiosity that automatically comes with thinking humans (the atheist himself) are the final judge about good and evil. However if an atheist really lives the rules of modesty in the other areas of his lifes and helps the poor (something that in that combination rarely happens, there are a few atheist that give a lot to the poor but they don't live modest) than I guess he has a better chance to go to heaven than those Christians who secretly despise the poor and only pay lipservice to the ideas of Christ.

* https://reforminghell.com/tag/kolasis/

Edited by Nadjeschda