• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  415
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

The Parable of the Talents

Matt 25:14-30 "For it is like a man, going into another country, who called his own servants, and entrusted his goods to them. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one; to each according to his own ability. Then he went on his journey. Immediately he who received the five talents went and traded with them, and made another five talents.  In like manner he also who got the two gained another two. But he who received the one went away and dug in the earth, and hid his lord’s money. "Now after a long time the lord of those servants came, and reconciled accounts with them. He who received the five talents came and brought another five talents, saying, ‘Lord, you delivered to me five talents. Behold, I have gained another five talents besides them.’ "His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a few things, I will set you over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’ "He also who got the two talents came and said, ‘Lord, you delivered to me two talents. Behold, I have gained another two talents besides them.’ "His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a few things, I will set you over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’  "He also who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Lord, I knew you that you are a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not scatter.  I was afraid, and went away and hid your talent in the earth. Behold, you have what is yours.’  "But his lord answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant. You knew that I reap where I didn’t sow, and gather where I didn’t scatter. You ought therefore to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received back my own with interest. Take away therefore the talent from him, and give it to him who has the ten talents. For to everyone who has will be given, and he will have abundance, but from him who has not, even that which he has will be taken away. Throw out the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’" (web)

Discussion Questions

What kinds of things has God entrusted to us?
And what does He expect us to increase?
Why do people have different abilities in a certain area?
How do you increase your ability?
What does this imply about the man who was given but one?
Why did he hide the one in the ground?
And what was wrong with his attitude?
(In what way does the master reap where he hasn't sown?)
Does the lazy servant represent a genuine believer?

Comments

A talent of gold is not a trivial amount. In today's market it's worth about $300,000. The master wisely divested his investments in proportion to the proven ability of his investors. He naturally gave less to the one proven to be less capable. However their capability was no doubt also a function of their diligence and faithfulness to act responsibly.

In the Christian life, ability is developed through application. Even granted that one is given spiritual gifts, the effectiveness of such often grows as one applies them responsibly. The lazy non-application oriented Christians thus tend to not have much ability. Rather they tend to go to church and pay the pastor to do their job for them. They even use their lack of ability as an excuse for not serving.

The lazy servant called his boss "Master", but then insulted him claiming he stole what he didn't produce. In other words, the servant felt that if he invested the talent, he should get the increase and not the Master. But since he figured he wasn't going to get anything out of it, he didn't work to invest it, not even a little. The bankers may be likened to investing your resources in other people's ministry. Often institutional churches give the impression that this is the only option of ministry for the lay-Christian.

I suppose also that there are many Christians with the attitude, "I'll serve Christ, but only if I get something out of it." And many will not do Christian ministry unless they get paid for it. And they treat the resources God has provided them as their own. Many call Jesus Lord, but how many treat him as if He is Lord?

In the end, those who submitted to their master, acting responsibly with the resources he provided, were greatly rewarded, while the lazy one was condemned. Don't be deceived. One cannot be saved by receiving Christ as Savior only, but must also accept him as Lord. And not just in word, but in deed. For our deeds reveal our true convictions.

The resource was also taken from the lazy servant and given to the one who proved most able and responsible. And that's the way it should be - God giving more responsibility to those who prove more responsible.

A man went away but left his servants some money
"Talents" they're called, though that may seem funny
The master gave to each as he thought best
Not for themselves but for them to invest
To those who have proven to have ability
He gave more money and responsibility
To one he gave five, to another two
And another just one (what did he give you?)
He went on his journey and then he returned
And met with his servants to see what he earned
The one he gave five had made five more
"Good work faithful servant," he said as he swore
To put him in charge of many things
And see what rewards his happiness brings
The man who had two also gain two
"Good! I'll give the same to you"
But the man who was given only but one
When asked what he earned, his profit was none.
But then he began to make an excuse
"You take what you did not produce
So I was afraid and hid in the ground
That talent you gave." He said so profound
The master replied, "You're wicked and lazy.
I'm not stealing from you, are you crazy
You don't want to work? Then put it in a bank.
You could have earned interest, if I may be so frank
Take the talent from this man and give it to the other
The man who has ten talents and not to his brother
For everyone who has, more will be given
As for this man, he will not be forgiven
Throw him outside where it's dark as night
Let him weep and gnash teeth and have no sight.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Romans 12:4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:

Romans 12:5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

Romans 12:6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

Romans 12:7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;

You can search through the Word of God to get the entire list of Spiritual Gifts, they are spread throughout the Scriptures in a few books.  But the "talent" in the parable is the valuable good given to us by God, which including our faith, are the Spiritual Gifts.  There is only one Body of Christ, which is the host of Christians in the World, there are several jobs.  As it would be impossible for one person to do everything, there would not be enough time in his life and it would be overwhelming.  We are also commanded by Scripture it is better to be in the company of fellow Christians while doing God's work, that way we know the Holy Spirit is guiding us properly and satan or our flesh is not leading us down the wrong path. "Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

So three Christians go to Africa to spread the Word of God; First you will need a Christian with the gift of evangelism to open the eyes of the non-believers there to God, second you would need a Christian with the gift of teaching so they can instruct and guide the new Christians to solid ground as Christians, but third and most important you need a Christian with the gift of tongues to translate the three Christians' language to the native language of the Africans (no the tongues is not "juuag biiisoo hrajjj,.,.hAHHH!!" demonic speech that has corrupted most Churches, it is someone with a gift to learn languages).

Romans 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

For the one talent Christian; this could be a new Christian, a Christian that does not have strong faith, or even a Christian that is distracted by the world (see parable of the sower).  Just because someone is not the Pope or a great well known Pastor, does not mean they are not a Christian.  There are Christians that have lots of understanding of the meat of the Word, then there are Christians that have been living in the milk of the Word of God for fifty to sixty years and show no sign of ever growing past it, both are fine and both are Christians it is just that one is spiritually stronger and can handle more.  But as Scripture says the five talent servant has to return another five talents...not only one talent or even three, if you are given five God expects five back. "Luke 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. 48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more."

For some Christians, they will read the Parable of the Talents and understand we need to do work and God expects things from us before we can go to Heaven.  For a Christian with any depth in the Word of God, it is clear as day just by reading this one parable.  But many Christians say "you don't need works", and "all you need to do is belief Jesus is the Christ".  Why has these Christians' eyes been waxed over, so they are blinded to the Scripture right in front of them?  Perhaps they are too spiritually immature or weak to handle the knowledge they can lose their crown and still go to Hell even after becoming Christians, that way when Jesus returns or they die and go to Heaven God has protected them by keeping them ignorant.  Since the Word of God says "he that knew not..shall be beaten with few stripes", they didn't do the works God commanded, but he also blinded them to the knowledge that they needed to do works so they will only be "beaten with few stripes". 

Luke 12:45 But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;

Luke 12:46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.

Just like in the parable of the talents, just because you are a Christian and given the gift of faith does not mean you are going to Heaven.  As Scripture says, "Matthew 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."  If receiving a gift from God was the beginning and end of our Spiritual Walk, what is "narrow" or hard about that?  God can gift every human the gift of faith, that means they are all Christians and no one ever goes to Hell.  We all know that is not the case; So perhaps God is vile and playing favorites, he did not give Sarah or Tom the gift of faith and damned them to Hell because they were ugly or just talked with a lisp?  Of course that is not the reason, so the reason can not be of God as Scripture says, "Romans 2:11 For there is no respect of persons with God."  So we decide if we go to Hell or to Heaven, by our actions.

Jesus talked about the gift of faith not being for everyone, "Matthew 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. 16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear...18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower."  Now in Matthew 13 after Jesus says if everyone's eyes were opened they would understand and he would heal them, but he does not do that, then directs us to read the parable of the sower to understand why. I will leave you all to read it and pray for understand, so you can understand why faith is not just handed out and why just faith alone is not enough.

Lastly we must understand there is a difference between an immature Christian being protected with ignorance to avoid Hell, and a Christian that does evil to earn him a place in Hell.  Even a Babe in the Word of God still does works and still proves themselves without them even knowing it or believing it, faith is a spiritual gift, and just by letting their light shine to show the Glory of God by their faith they are doing works and proving themselves to God.

Edited by Mal'ak

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  763
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,897
  • Content Per Day:  3.09
  • Days Won:  1

I guess its about the job of the church in spreading Gospel to win people, the body consist of many parts n functions, each must develop its cooperation so the body can work properly.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81

1 hour ago, R. Hartono said:

I guess its about the job of the church in spreading Gospel to win people, the body consist of many parts n functions, each must develop its cooperation so the body can work properly.

I understand the parable of the talents speaks to the individual. We do what we are able to the best of our ability. as Paul stated we strive for the mark of the high calling of Christ. He spoke of a race that is not about coming in first to win but we run to endure to the end. If one stumbles and needs help we carry him if we have to. It is the spirit that drives us on, but one who sits down and refuses to strive any more will die where he is 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,778
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

On 9/10/2019 at 9:07 PM, R. Hartono said:

This may be..Jesus with this parable wanted to say how is going to be in the coming Kingdom of God...He had not died yet and he was telling them how things will work in his kingdom after his resurrection...

The Servants, the Priest of God  before in the old were chosen from Aarons family...but in the new family connections are set aside in favor for servants who are equiped from God with gifts from the Holy Spirit....to do a service to him...with the proposed to increase the harvest of the believers and equipped and help both the individual believers and the churches...we also had the prophets who were not from the priests family...as to day we have servants of Jesus Christ in his service outside the  Christian organizations.

We see the Servant with the one talent that he was willing to be in the mission to bring an  increase in the Kingdom of Jesus Christ...

The Lord equipped him and gave him the spiritual gifts he needed...but for some reason he got disoriented...

We understand that the talents are spiritual gifts...they cannot be lost or stolen...

There is only one way but to grow with them...even a little by little...and in using them you can never loose them...only if they stay idle as it happened with the one talent are lost...

The Lord had to take it from him...and give it to someone who was willing to work with him...for the proposed of the Lord...to bring Joy to the Lord...and his reward was to have the knowledge that he brought joy to the Lord.. 

If he decides to not be a servant in the Kingdom..then he does not need the talent...he may just be one if the subjects of the Kingdom...

He would not have anymore the special status of the Servant.  Which came with a special privilege to be around the Lords business in the elect position of the Servant...to take missions from the Masrer...

PS

Misconception...the Lord did nor condemn him to Hell...he is still a believer and may still be in good use, and he is still a good person...

Only his status have change....before he was close to the Lord as a Servant...and abide in CLOSESNESS to his light.. 

But now he finds himself in a different status...some distance from his light...doing his own, occupied with the burdens of this life,..he may change his mind and asked to be a Servant again...he is not dead he is still alive and as a believer he is under the blood of Jesus Christ..

Not every believer must be a Servant..like the disciples...or the evangelist and have special gifts for special missions...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  763
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,897
  • Content Per Day:  3.09
  • Days Won:  1

6 minutes ago, Your closest friendnt said:

We see the Servant with the one talent that he was willing to be in the mission to bring an  increase in the Kingdom of Jesus Christ...

One woman came to Jesus n pour fragrance at Jesus feet, thats the best thing she can do for God.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,778
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

11 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

One woman came to Jesus n pour fragrance at Jesus feet, thats the best thing she can do for God.

Matthew 9:13 New International Version (NIV)

13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’[a] For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Luke 7:36-50 English Standard Version (ESV)

A Sinful Woman Forgiven

36 One of the Pharisees asked him to eat with him, and he went into the Pharisee's house and reclined at table. 37 And behold, a woman of the city, who was a sinner, when she learned that he was reclining at table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of ointment, 38 

38 As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

39 When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner.”

40 Jesus answered him, “Simon, I have something to tell you.”

“Tell me, teacher,” he said.

41 “Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii,[a] and the other fifty. 42 Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he forgave the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?”

43 Simon replied, “I suppose the one who had the bigger debt forgiven.”

“You have judged correctly,” Jesus said.

48 Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

49 The other guests began to say among themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?”

50 Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

Isaiah 52:7-10 

7 How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of the messenger who announces peace, who brings good news, who announces salvation, who says to Zion, "Your God reigns." 

The “feet” is here used figuratively: beautiful refers not to the feet but to the entire messenger/message, and his massage... 

The woman in this story, is an example of the woman in the parable about the Kingdom of Jesus Christ........           the parable of the woman who was looking for the lost coin. The Love and Mercy and forgiveness of sins and restoration in the kingdom of God in the new covenant...

She found the lost coin in Jesus Christ...the Love and mercy of God towards everyone in the world....including those the old covenant excluded....

She as one of the lost sheep of Israel experience the LOVE and MERCY of Jesus Christ...and FORGIVENESS of Jesus Christ...what we have in the new covenant that the people long for in the old but they could not have...extended to her from Jesus Christ who before the Cross he said "I have come to saved the lost sheep of Israel". 

Jesus after his death on the CROSS for the sins of the whole world...he became the Savior and Christ for all people of the world...and commissioned his disciples to bring the good news to the whole world...

Isaiah 52:7. And in Mathew 9:13, Jesus gives a clue to the people that his sacrifice on the Cross will bring the LOVE AND MERCY...and the end of the sacrifices in he old testament. 

GOD long for the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the Cross...not the animals in the old...to bring to the people the forgiveness of sins for all people and the love and mercy of God to all the world.. 

John 3:16...

John 3:16 New International Version (NIV)

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

With her actions this woman gave the testimony about Jesus, what she believed who Jesus was...the annoynted from God, the Messiah the Christ....who brings the good news to all...that he was the one God send....

But to her personally it was the comfort Jesus had brought in her heart...he gave her beauty instant of ashes....gladness instant of sorrow....love and forgiveness instant of judgement and contamination....he gave her acceptance, the entrance and a place in his Kingdom...

She is telling the people that Jesus made her feel the beauty he has in his heart...that to her his words and his deeds is like the aroma of the perfume to her heart....

Edited by Your closest friendnt