IGNORED

Is it okay to use 10%(tithes) this way...

Figure of eighty

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Technically God just wants us to give back...so I would say by the technical rule it's "ok" However if your a member of a local church by doing this your punishing them. Churches have bills to, and from my experience churches often run in the red-meaning they don't have enough money to fully cover all their needs. 

And honestly if one is just looking to give the 10% suggested by the Bible, that's kinda Missing the point. One should give like the poor woman in the temple who only gave 2 mites...and I don't mean you should give everything, what I mean is you should give with your heart, whether it's 2% or 20%. Personally I do give a 10% tithe to the church as a base...and then I go from there. If there's a shoe ministry I give in addition to that 10% if there's a missions trip I give extra straight to it. I also donate to various other entities that need money.

My point isn't to say look at me. My point is, everyone is different, everyones finances are different, but you should never forsake the fellowship, and you should always give with your heart. If your not sure how, how much, or who to give to, pray for God's guidance, and be willing to listen for the answer.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  0

On 9/18/2019 at 12:11 PM, enoob57 said:

Abraham an Melchizedek was before the law

I think what you are saying, enoob57, is that Abraham gave Melchizidek a tenth 400 years before the Law of Moses established the Tithe as a requirement.  And that this act shows that the Tithe principle extends beyond the boundaries of the law.

I can understand how that could look that way. 

Here is why I don't believe that the Abraham/Melchizidek exchange has bearing on modern tithing.

Abraham gave Melchizedek one tenth of the spoils of war, things that had belonged to someone else (not Abraham), were taken by some powerful kings through war, then recovered by Abraham as a side benefit when he went to rescue his nephew Lot.  It is not clear if Salem was included in the wars.  Abraham gives ALL of the spoils of one of the Kings involved back to that King.

The Law of Moses defines tithing very precisely.  It does not resemble this gift from Abraham to Melchizidek at all.  As we see in the story of the crucifixion, blood money is not acceptable even as a gift to the temple.

Hebrews references the situation of Abraham and Melchizidek as proof to establish that Jesus is superior to the Levitical Priesthood.   Context is always key.

The story of the gift of Abraham to Melchizidek does not establish the tenth as a eternal law of God.  If it did, then the Mosaic Law violates it as it it not a tenth of everything but only a tenth of produce.

Earlier in this topic I presented my view on the applicability of the Mosaic Law tithe to New Covenant giving.

Thanks, enoob57.  I realize that you may have a different view.