maryjayne

Gifts of the Spirit

I have been under the belief that the Gifts of the Spirit were only given to the Saved. From another thread, it appears I have misunderstood something. Please can someone direct me to scripture on who is given the Gifts of the Spirit if they are not saved please? and how and when this is used?

1 hour ago, maryjayne said:

I have been under the belief that the Gifts of the Spirit were only given to the Saved. From another thread, it appears I have misunderstood something. Please can someone direct me to scripture on who is given the Gifts of the Spirit if they are not saved please? and how and when this is used?

It is new to me as well. I would be interested if anyone can show me this.

The so called 'gifts of the spirit' are not 100% prof that someone is a Christian. psychiatrists have replicated many of these 'gifts' as do false religeons.

God's gifys of the Spirit are given by the holy Spirit.

20 minutes ago, Who me said:

The so called 'gifts of the spirit' are not 100% prof that someone is a Christian. psychiatrists have replicated many of these 'gifts' as do false religeons.

God's gifys of the Spirit are given by the holy Spirit.

How do we know if they are real?

Good question.  Here are the 2 relevant texts to consider on this issue.

(1) "On that day many will say to me, "Did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many deeds of power in your name?"  Then I will say to them, "I never knew you.  Get away from me, you evildoers  (Matthew 7:22-23)!""

Jesus concedes the possibility of performing real exorcisms and miracles in His name, and yet, not qualifying as true believer.  So the question is, can these people exercise gifts of the Spirit by the power of the Spirit without being saved themselves?  One possibility is that they later abandoned their faith or made a sham of their faith.  In doing so, they may have grieved and extinguished the Spirit in their hearts.  That possibility lead us directly to the murky swamps of the OSAS debate, which I mustn't get into here.

As someone who grew up in Canada, I'm reminding of the most famous Canadian preacher of all time, Charles Templeton.  Chuck grew up as devout Nazarene and became a close friend of Billy Graham.  In fact, he was once considered more likely than Billy to become a mega-evangelist.  Chuck co-founded Youth for Christ and his preaching led thousands to Christ.   Then intellectual doubts caused him to lose and renounce his faith. an apostasy that did great harm to the cause of Christ in Canada.

Templeton had believed in the power of prayer and claimed to have once prayed for a dead man, thus raising him back to life.  When he lost his faith, he would later dismiss this miracle by alleging that there must be some natural explanation that eluded him.  I think Chuck's faith and reliance on the Spirit empowered the miracle.  Some might claim that, despite his atheism, Chuck retained his salvation.  Others might say that he was never saved in the first place.  I reject the latter view.  When I was at Princeton Seminary, I joined a group of Canadians to listen to one of Chuck's old sermons when he was still a believer.  He preached with power, passion, and great sincerity.  When the question is raised about the possibility of losing one's salvation, Chuck Templeton is the first case that  comes to mind.

(2) "John said to Him, "Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name and we tried to stop him because he was not following us."  But Jesus said, "Don't stop him; for no one who does a deed of power in my name will be able soon after to speak evil of ne.  Whoever is not against us is for us. (Mark 9:39-40)."

Jesus concedes that this man is actually performing exorcisms in Jesus' name, a feat which can only be performed through the Spirit of God (Matthew 12:26-28).. Yet the best Jesus can say of this exorcist is that he is not "against us."  Because Jesus shows no interest in dscipling this exorcist, one might assume that Jesus deems this exorcist to be saved.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, maryjayne said:

Paul started his discourse of spiritual gifts by saying, "Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I WOULD NOT HAVE YOU IGNORANT,"  (1 Cor. 12:1), and he ended his discourse by saying, "But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant" (1 Cor. 14:38).

1 Cor. 12: 1-11,

1, Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.
    2, Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led. 
    3, Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed:1 and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. 
    4, Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 
    5, And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 
    6, And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 
    7, But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 
    8, For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 
    9, To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 
    10, To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 
    11, But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. 
    12, For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, HAZARD said:

Paul started his discourse of spiritual gifts by saying, "Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I WOULD NOT HAVE YOU IGNORANT,"  (1 Cor. 12:1), and he ended his discourse by saying, "But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant" (1 Cor. 14:38).

1 Cor. 12: 1-11,

1, Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.
    2, Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led. 
    3, Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed:1 and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. 
    4, Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 
    5, And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 
    6, And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 
    7, But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 
    8, For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 
    9, To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 
    10, To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 
    11, But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. 
    12, For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. 

This is speaking of the saved, yes?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

This is speaking of the saved, yes?

Yes. 

The gifts of the Spirit are given only to believers - people who have the Holy Spirit within them.

However, the gifts can be faked. There are such things as fake miracles, fake tongues and fake (false) prophecies. Also, the devil can work miracles and inspire prophecies.

This means that we have to exercise discernment! We are to test all prophecies (I Corinthians 14:29). And if someone claims to have a gift we should look not only at the gift itself but also at the rest of their life. Do they speak and act as if Jesus is their Lord? (I Corinthians 12:3; Matthew 7:22,23)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2019 at 9:47 AM, maryjayne said:

I get uncomfortable when people talk about spiritual gifts. I think many people become prideful when they start contemplating this subject. The Lord will empower us to do what he wants us to do. If we aren't walking with him, he won't waste his time.