IGNORED

Did i hear right?

Someone i know from a different church said they 'do not use the Old Testament'. 

What? I did not get a chance to discuss this matter with this person fully yet. I find this notion incredible! Are there really churches that only use the New Testament?  Why? 

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

I've never heard of that either.   The theme of our redemption through Christ begins in Genesis 3 (and onward through the OT) where the head of the serpent will be bruised by the Seed of the woman.   And who can forget the great chapter of Isaiah 53, speaking of Christ or Micah 5:2, the birthplace of the Messiah.

Although we might concentrate on the NT, we shouldn't neglect the OT, as so much points to redemption through Christ.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Yes, sadly there are.

Similarly, Dr. John MacArthur uses the Old Testament but has focused in his studies almost exclusively on the New Testament

(his scholarship, I mean).

The Church of Christ, as I recall focuses only on the New Testament.

I always ask these folks where do YOU believe the New Testament begins?

They always fail the test.

Hebrews 9:16–17 (AV)
16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

Luke 22:20 (AV)
20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

1 Corinthians 11:25 (AV)
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

John 19:30 (AV)
30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Matthew 27:50–51 (AV)
50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

THEN was the Old Testament over THEN was the New Testament begun.

To those who exclusivize the New Testament, they'd better learn what the New Testament says (above) and cut out of their focus everything before the death of Christ in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Old Testament contains the New Testament concealed.

The New Testament contains the Old Testament revealed. -- the late great Dr. Chuck Missler

• Thumbs Up 3

Also, I would point out that the scriptures that are referred to in the New Testament ARE the Old Testament scriptures.

The New ones hadn't even been written yet (or canonized for another two centuries). 

2 Peter 1:20–21 (AV)
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Acts 17:11 (AV)
11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

1 Corinthians 15:1–4 (AV)
1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

2 Timothy 3:16–17 (AV)
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

I personally discovered how beyond worth the Old Testament is in my study of the Bible.

I set out to learn how to witness to Jewish people (who, I learned from Messianic Rabbi Larry Feldman, put no credence in the New Testament at all). 

It's like the Book of Mormon to them.

So, I set out to find Christ in the Old Testament. 

I recommend everybody do this.

You will be profoundly amazed!

Begin first by learning the Holy Spirit alone interprets the scriptures (2 Peter 1:20-21) and we are to test if it's him (1 John 4:1) teaching us by the scriptures just like the Bereans did (Acts 17:11).

And hang on to your theological socks because you are in for one whale of a ride!!!

Edited by JohnD
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,381
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

Unfortunately there's a lot of cherry picking and outright false teaching going on in some churches these days. Some are so far removed from Christian teaching you can't really even consider it a different denomination of the same religion.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,864
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

4 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Someone i know from a different church said they 'do not use the Old Testament'. 

I grew up within the CoC…    what I was taught from birth to about 17 years of age was that when Jesus died and was resurrected he completely fulfilled the Old Testament.  They do believe that the OT is God inspired but is basically a history book explaining where and why Jesus came.    John is correct that they focus only on the New Testament for salvation and as to how we should live and how our relationship with the Lord should lead us.    They also believe they are the only church.

I am not aware of others that focus that heavily on the NT.    If they were not CoC it would be interesting to know about...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

Years ago, when I was finally ready to dive in to the OT, I figured, “Man , THIS is going to be chore !

What a surprise it turned out to be! I was always pleasantly surprised to see how much of the  NT was in- folded into the Old Covenant. Some have the mistaken idea that the God of the Old Testament is that “Mean Old Man in the Sky”. A complete lie. I was AMAZED to see God’s Love, His Mercy ,But what really stood out was His Long-Suffering.How He can put up with His Creation is beyond me.I am just glad He does. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I think you need both in a Church. 

• Thumbs Up 1