Deadworm

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

What is the baptism of the Holy Spirit?  We must begin by noting what it is not--it is not the reception of the Spirit automatically received upon profession of faith in Christ.  1 Corinthians 12:13 is often misinterpreted to have this meaning: 

"For in the one Spirit we were all baptized into one body...and were made to drink of one Spirit."

As Hans Conzelmann is no charismatic or Pentecostal and is well respected in the academic community of biblical studies.  In his magisterial Commentary on 1 Corinthians, he rightly notes: "The expression ["in the Spirit we were all baptized into one body"] appears to mean that the body [of Christ] is already there when we are taken up into it by [water] baptism (p.212)."  Otherwise, Paul would be contradicting Luke, for whom Spirit baptism is a second work of grace after salvation.  Consider these 5 points:

(1) "John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now(1:4).""But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be witnesses (1:8)..."                                                                                       "All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues, as the Spirit gave them ability (2:4)."

(2) Luke identifies 2 characteristics of Spirit baptism: an experience of power and speaking in tongues.  Spirit power enables them to witness effectively, aided by their healings through the power of the Spirit. 

(3) In 3 of the 4 cases in Acts when believers are baptized in the Spirit, we are told that they speak in tongues. In the 4th case (in Samaria) an eruption of tongues seems implied by the demonstration of "power" impressive enough to prompt Simon the Magician to offer money for this "power."  The Samaritans believe the Gospel and are baptized in water and are thus saved (8:12).  They presumably received the regenerating Holy Spirit.  It is important to note that Luke nowhere acknowledges the redemptive work of the Spirit upon initial profession of faith in Christ.  So these new Samaritan Christians now need to be baptized with the Holy Spirit as a second work of grace: "The 2 [Peter and John] went down to pray for them; for as yet the Spirit had not come upon any of them.  They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus (8:15-16)."

(4) Note the question that Paul asks the Ephesian "disciples:"  "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you became believers (19:2)?"  The question assumes that these disciples first became Christians and now need the baptism of the Holy Spirit.  And what is the sign of  that baptism?  An experience of divine power evidenced by speaking on tongues and prophesying (19:6).

(5) Jesus'  disciples receive Spirit baptism as a second work of grace after having already received the Spirit from Jesus (John 20:22-23). Only after receiving the Holy Spirit do the disciples have the power and discernment to "forgive" or "retain" sins.  Of course, by doing so, they are making real the forgiveness offered by God Himself.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

General facts and all the Scriptures on Spirit baptism. There is a baptism in the Holy Spirit (Matt 3:11; 20:22-23; Mark 1:8; Luke 3:16; John 1:31-34; Acts 1:4-8; 2:1-39; 8:14-20; 9:17; 10:44-48; 11:14-18; 15:7-11; 19:1-7; Gal. 3:14; Heb. 6:3.

Jesus was the first to be baptized in the Holy Spirit Matt. 3:16-17; 20:22-23; Luke 3:21-22; 4:16-21; John 1:31-34; 3:34; Acts 10:38.

Men in general were not baptized in the Spirit until Pentecost and until Jesus was glorified, John 7:37-39; 14:16-17, 26; 16"13-15; Acts 1:4-8; 2:1-21, 33-39.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

The speaking in tongues mentioned in the Acts is a conformation to what Jesus old His disciples to do:

But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.  Acts 1:8

If we correctly divide the Word we find gift of tongues were given in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and finally Ephesus, ...the uttermost part of the earth at that time.

We don't find the gift given in Berea, Corinth, Derbe, Joppa, Lystra, Miletus, Philippi, Rome, and many more.

Unfortunately many over look the real intention of Jesus saying the disciples would receive power from and by the Holy Spirit, ...after they had waited, ...this power only comes to those that wait and have relinquished to the Holy Spirit the authority to rule, reign and guide their lives, ...some find it, but many don't.

Lord bless

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

JustPassingThru:"If we correctly divide the Word we find gift of tongues were given in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and finally Ephesus, ...the uttermost part of the earth at that time".

But I'm afraid you are not "correctly dividing the Word" in 3 respects:

(1) Through the travels of traders Mediterranean peoples were aware of residents of the Far East.   Indeed, the conquests of Alexander the Great extended as far a s India.  Paul's mission extended way beyond Ephesus to Greece and Rome, and he hoped the Romans could send him on to Spain (Romans 15:24, 28).  

JPT: "We don't find the gift given in Berea, Corinth, Derbe, Joppa, Lystra, Miletus, Philippi, Rome, and many more."

(2) You are fallaciously arguing from silence.  We are told nothing about the initial bestowal of the Spirit in the locales you mention--except one, Corinth; and we know that the Corinthians loved to speak in tongues (read 1 Corinthans 12 and 14).

(3) Most importantly, you overlook the decisive importance of Peter's promise in Acts 2:38-39 for the intended extent of speaking in tongues:

...you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.  For the promise is for you, for your children, and for all who are far away, everYone whom the Lord calls to Him."

Peter's point is that the promise of the Holy Spirit applies to everyone everywhere throughout history.  In the context Peter is promising more of the same, i. e. more Spirit baptisms that include speaking in tongues. Indeed, Luke's pattern of Spirit reception with the initial evidence of tongues confirms this interpretation.  What anti-Pentecostals don't get is this: The Book of Acts makes no mention of the regenerating work of the Spirit in the conversion process!  That shocking omission implies at least that Luke envisages speaking in tongues as a part of the promise of the Spirit to future generations everywhere.  On these grounds, you can stick a fork in cessationism.

JPT: "Unfortunately many over look the real intention of Jesus saying the disciples would receive power from and by the Holy Spirit, ...after they had waited, ...this power only comes to those that wait and have relinquished to the Holy Spirit the authority to rule, reign and guide their lives, ..some find it, but many don't."

But don't be s0 judgmental towards Pentecostals in general.  I have been exposed to Pentecostalism all my life and I assure you that their quest for the baptism in the Spirit is typically soaked in extended periods of prayer, intercession, and praise.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

51 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

Not every Born Again Christian speaks in tongues of any type. 

But all have some gifts of the Spirit.

Why do you believe tongues are proof of Spirit baptism?

Tongues was only used for a sign to the Jews as proof that God also blessed the Gentiles with the Holy Spirit. The first time tongues were used was to teach the Jews from every corner of the earth the Gospel in their own language. 

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is a one time event whereby the Spirit places all who hear the Gospel and trust Christ into his body. It is spoken of in past tense. 

Eph 4:5  One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

1Co 12:13  For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

Eph 1:13  And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

2Co 5:5  Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

Being filled with the Spirit is the only repeatable act of the Spirit towards us, not the Baptism. It is only once.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

2 hours ago, maryjayne said:

Not every Born Again Christian speaks in tongues of any type. 

But all have some gifts of the Spirit.

Why do you believe tongues are proof of Spirit baptism?

It's possible there is some confusion in terminology  involved here.  1st Corinthians chapter 12 outlines 9 distinct "gifts of the Spirit" and that's usually what people are referring to when the baptism in the Spirit is in view.

But there are "spiritual gifts" as some call them such as administration, helps, giving, etc...which  seem to be almost personality or character traits.  Ways of serving we're particularly "bent" toward walking in with  excellence.  We all have those...

Then there are "ministry" gifts such as apostle, prophet, teacher, evangelist and pastor.

When you use the term "gifts of the Spirit" how is that defined in your mind and thinking?

AFAIK, the idea that tongues are the  "sign" gift, external evidence of being baptized in the Spirit comes from Peter's description of Cornelius' conversion:

While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell on all those who heard the message.  The circumcised believers who had accompanied Peter were greatly astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles, for they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God. Then Peter said,

"No one can withhold the water for these people to be baptized, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?"

So he gave orders to have them baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay for several days.

Later, when explaining and defending this astonishing (to them :) ) fact that the Spirit had been poured out on nasty old gentiles, he refers to it by implication again:

Then as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them just as he did on us at the beginning.  And I remembered the word of the Lord, as he used to say, 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.'  Therefore if God gave them the same gift as he also gave us after believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to hinder God?"

"As" is a simple little word that can expose some pretty profound things in the right context :)  It simply  means "in like manner, to the same degree".   Tongues was the outward visible evidence that Jesus  had baptized the disciples at Pentecost....that evidence then was what made some accuse them of being drunk.

And it was the evidence Peter could see He'd baptized Cornelius and his household ...Peter sure wasn't expecting it :)

Edited by Jostler

4 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

I stil want to know why so many Christians these day think that if you dont speak in tongues you are not truly saved.

well it can only be because they don't know the  Bible well enough.  That stance is Biblically unsupportable, and just wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

48 minutes ago, saved34 said:

Tongues was only used for a sign to the Jews as proof that God also blessed the Gentiles with the Holy Spirit. The first time tongues were used was to teach the Jews from every corner of the earth the Gospel in their own language. 

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is a one time event whereby the Spirit places all who hear the Gospel and trust Christ into his body. It is spoken of in past tense. 

Eph 4:5  One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

1Co 12:13  For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

Eph 1:13  And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

2Co 5:5  Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

Being filled with the Spirit is the only repeatable act of the Spirit towards us, not the Baptism. It is only once.

The flaw in your theology  is visible in the verses you posted.  If you want to understand the fundamental doctrine of baptismS (it's plural in Hebrews 6:1-3) search every use of the word baptism, baptisms, baptize(d) or any other derivative...and ask the text three questions:

1.  Who is the baptizer? Who is performing the baptism?

2.  Who is being baptized?  Who is the "candidate" to receive the baptism?

3.  What is the  "element" the  candidate will be baptized into?

You'll find baptism in the Spirit to be defined by

1.  Jesus

2.  A Believer in Jesus

3.  the Holy Spirit

For the "one baptism" the Bible refers to the answers are different, making it logically impossible for the baptism into the  Body and the baptism in the Spirit to  be the same baptism

1.  The Holy Spirit

2.  A believer in Jesus

3.  the Body of Christ

Edited by Jostler
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

I see. Well, I dont speak in tongues, so I am not saved. Never have, not even at the moment I was saved (spirit baptism?)

i wonder if there was a misunderstanding of what i said?  I would never tell you or anyone that doesn't speak in tongues they are not saved.  The two things are not even closely related.  It's a Biblically unsupportable LIE...and a destructive one too.   I hate that being used to uproot the confidence people have in His free gift of salvation.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, maryjayne said:

I am so sorry, there was a double negative in one of my questions and I read it the wrong way -even though I had written it!!!

thank you for questioning so gently.

hugs :)  all  good sis :)

• Thumbs Up 1