• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Deadworm said:

The Lord's Prayer is a model ("Pray then like this") and as such invites the question, "In what ways are its components normative?"  The pcholarly consesnsus is that the petition in question should be translated "Give us today are bread for the coming day ("epiousia").  Remember. the prayer was originally uttered in Aramaic, not Greek.  As a model this petition is not urging us to pray for nutritional bread as opposed to fish or vegetables; it is urging us the pray that our basic needs be met.  But more subtly, it is warning us that our prayers have a very short  warrantee!  I don' get to ask for my basic needs to be met for an entire year; I need to renew my petition daily because I can't count on it being effective for more than tomorrow.  This is one of many reasons why Jesus urges not "Ask and you shall receive, seek and you will find," etc., but rather "Keep on asking and you will receive, keep on seeking and you will find," etc.  (The Greek imperatives require the nuance of continual action.).

Another good analysis. I've read it but I don't remember if I mentioned  "bread for the coming day" or "Bread for tomorrow" but I was more touching on a focus on the actual literal meaning of the word "epiousia" than anything. But more good commentary.