Coliseum

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

More than once in Communist prisons I have seen a pastor receive a beating to the blood in place of another prisoner. A name would be called and the pastor would simply say, “It is I.” In Auschwitz, Maximilian Kolbe, a priest, offered to take the place of a Pole sentenced to death by the Nazis. The Pole was the father of many children. The commandant of the camp accepted the substitution and the Pole was spared. Kolbe died by asphyxiation. Had you been that Pole, what would you have decided?---Pastor Richard Wurmbrand

1 John 3:16 (NIV)
16  This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

Not easy. Like who will take care of your family. Yet we are called to love this way. God has a love that gives it self up. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,187
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, Coliseum said:

More than once in Communist prisons I have seen a pastor receive a beating to the blood in place of another prisoner. A name would be called and the pastor would simply say, “It is I.” In Auschwitz, Maximilian Kolbe, a priest, offered to take the place of a Pole sentenced to death by the Nazis. The Pole was the father of many children. The commandant of the camp accepted the substitution and the Pole was spared. Kolbe died by asphyxiation. Had you been that Pole, what would you have decided?---Pastor Richard Wurmbrand

1 John 3:16 (NIV)
16  This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.

The relationship and faith that this is the fruit of. 

Such a blessing and a great read.

Be blessed in Christ, Not me  

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

14 hours ago, Coliseum said:

I am humbled by stories like these that Wurmbrand related.  They are a true and valid example of real love.

Most will "spiritualize" these stories and the related verses.  And that is a good and wholesome thing to do.  The christian in the romanian prison intervening in the beating of the criminal is a beautiful example to remind us to graciously give up our place in line at the market to the rude person forcing their way in.  The story reminds us to just let it go when someone intentionally scratches our car (if we own one).  To forgive the people at church who say bad things about us.

But we should not lose sight of the fact that giving your life for someone else can be far costlier than the spiritualized application.  It can be real.  And you don't have to wait to go to prison for your opportunity.

In some areas of the world, such stories feel very distant.  The western reader of Wurmbrand shudders when relating to Wurmbrand's experiences and is grateful that such things "don't happen here". 

But they do.  Every day, in whatever place you live, people are being hurt.  In every location situations are similar, there are people suffering, rejected, hated.  For example, the legal system in every country imprisons many people. You could intervene, I could intervene.  I don't know how, just noting that if I want to be like Wurmbrand's story, there are plenty of prisoners around.

I do not say that to cause guilt and the anger that results from guilt.  The things that we should do are often greater than our ability to do, and Jesus knows this and loves us.  I say this just as an encouragement to start thinking a little differently about the world around us.  If you already think differently then these words are not for you. 

I do not live up to it.  As I said at the start, I am humbled by this story.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

That is an amazing act on that man’s part, but that still may not be love.

1Co 13:3  If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

We are all going to suffer for the Lord Jesus at some point, especially if we stand firm for him. It is given to us to do so. Bless that pastor, but each one of us is going to suffer individually as well. 

Php 1:28  without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved—and that by God.

Php 1:29  For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him,

Php 1:30  since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have.

Act 5:41  The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name.

I think that is a pretty tricky subject. There may be times where a believer may have to intervene for a fellow believer that way, but I don’t think God is asking us to take on physical torture for each other. Tortured for Christ is a blessing to that individual being tortured. 

Easy for me to say in the comfort of my home, but I believe that.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

This post is both thought provoking and humbling.

• Praise God! 1