IGNORED

Is Jesus the Son of God in the sense that He is the Son of God the Father?

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

1 John 4:15 KJV: Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  16

29 minutes ago, Lee_ said:

1 John 4:15 KJV: Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

Yes He is.  His conception was a miraculous union of divine seed with a human ovum.  Son  of God through the Holy Spirit and Son of Man through  Mary...and "Son of David" too through  Mary :)

13 minutes ago, Jostler said:

Yes He is.  His conception was a miraculous union of divine seed with a human ovum.  Son  of God through the Holy Spirit and Son of Man through  Mary...and "Son of David" too through  Mary :)

Wasn't Jesus conceived through the power of the Holy Spirit? Does Scripture ever use the term "divine seed"?

Was it right to use "conceived" how I used it?

Edited by plo1988
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  16

Just now, Lee_ said:

Wasn't Jesus conceived through the power of the Holy Spirit? Does Scripture ever use the term "divine seed"?

"divine seed" was my own choice of words to  describe the conception...so no, that's not  in Scripture word for word (that I know of).  The term "holy seed" is used in several translations but in the OT and in a prophetic sense.

And yes it was through the power and agency of the  Holy Spirit the conception happened.

Now the birth of Jesus Christ happened this way. While his mother Mary was engaged to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, Lee_ said:

Yes, Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the second Person in the Holy Trinity. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

6 hours ago, Lee_ said:

Was it right to use "conceived" how I used it?

I think it would depend on what you mean when you use the word conceived.....    if you are saying that God had sex with Mary and Jesus was made the way the rest of us were I don't think I could say that would be the right usage.....      If you mean that The Father caused Mary's egg to grow into the body for Jesus it would be correct.

we must also consider that John tells us that Jesus existed (prior to entering his body) in god form and had been with the Father eternally in the past....    actually Jesus was/is Yahweh and is the God of Israel.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

8 hours ago, Lee_ said:

The early church jumped thru all kinds of hoops trying to decide this and form a Creed.

They took translation errors and wielded a ungainly doctrine.

Yeshua/Jesus is God and the diminutive maybe inferred by 'only begotten son'. Monogenes is from Aramaic, from which Greek translated it, really means ONE OF A KIND, ABSOLUTELY UNIQUE, a very fitting description of our Lord Yeshua.  Early Greek manuscripts do not add 'begotten son'. 

I have no problem with this, but language is one of my things. It is no way criticizes the KJV but really, it adds distinctive meaning to an indistinct phrase.

MONOGENES is used in the Septuagint Version (LXX – the translation of the Old Testament into Greek) to translate the Hebrew (Aramaic) adjective YACHID. It is translated in the KJV as "darling" Psalm 22:20; "my darling" in Psalm 35:17; "desolate" in Psalm 25:16; and "solitary" in Psalm 68:6. 

Monogenes was completely misunderstood until many other Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew texts were studied.
So 'only son of God' is wrong. Even though He is called by the Father 'My Son'. Today we have no idea what the ramifications of 'son' as a title meant to an early Israeli, so we miss the point entirely.

Yeshua is co-equal with haShem (God or Yahweh). He is seen in the Tanach many times and is not only interchangeable with Yahweh, but is seen AS the Angel of the Lord or Yahweh (haShem). 

"Do as He says, for haShem (My Name) is in Him."

Yeshua plus haShem and Holy Spirit all decided that to do this thing properly, as men and spirits had failed, that He would have to be born of woman and show the Way. Which He did - as a man but also as God - Yahweh, but NOT the Father (the Ancient of Days).

Two distinct Yahweh figures, completely equal and non competitive (something we have a very hard time grasping fully).  God is so very clever the way He did all this to confound the holy ones and the ones that had fallen and been cast down. They did not have a clue...

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.58
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Yes--from our perspective, He is the son of God because the Word became flesh in order to identify with us as men and accomplish the will of the Father in redemption.

From our Creator's (Father) perspective He is the First Born among many brethren to be.

I find it helpful to see these things and many other's through God's eyes as revealed in scripture and nature.

Everything in the biological world is about reproduction of kind.

Paul mentioned God's 'eternal purpose':

Eph. 3:11 This was paccording to the eternal purpose that he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord,

I believe that eternal purpose was to 'reproduce'. God referred to Himself as 'I am'. This is a wonderful thing that He revealed to us. This implies/means that He 'exists', but in a much deeper and sweeping meaning than we would usually think. God before anything else existed had 'being' within Himself and independent of anything. This is hard to grasp, but a marvelous thing. When the Word began to 'Create' from the first particle and onward--He shared 'being'. He shared existence. Before then, nothing else existed. The universe is a reflection of His desire to share 'being'. He made man with the view of taking on His very Life. This was 'realized' in Christ Jesus. He shared His Eternal God Life with a part of His Creation. The Word became flesh. The Gospel communicates how God realizes reproduction--just as the entire biological universe teaches us.

Rom. 1:20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, nhave been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world,7 in the things that have been made.

Rom. 8:29 For those whom he jforeknew he also kpredestined lto be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be mthe firstborn among many brothers.

Col. 1:15   iHe is the image of jthe invisible God, kthe firstborn of all creation.

All of our understanding of God and His written Word and the Creation record is seen through this perspective...the heart of God. His eternal purpose and desire to 'share being' and to actually reproduce.

A marvelous exercise is to project this truth into a never ending universe moving forward. A wonderful added bit is when we realize the scriptures teach us that natural living humans will continue to be born in His Kingdom which endures forever.

The is a marvelous God indeed!

Edited by Alive

Not really calling into question the doctrine of the Trinity, if I worded that right, God is the Father, the Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit, right?

In 1 John 4:15 is it saying that whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God the Father, God dwelleth in him, and he in God?

Edited by plo1988

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

Sometimes you also see in the scriptures 'the Spirit of Yeshua'. The Spirit, The Yeshua Unique One and the Father (haShem) are all totally equal and pre-extant. Uncreate is another description. Yeshua said, "Before Abram, I AM". He is Fully God.

In the Garden when they came to take Him, He said, "I AM HE" and they all fell.

Edited by Justin Adams